Puresim Crossdressers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

jimkehn -> Puresim Crossdressers (2/22/2007 3:50:17 PM)

Just curious. How many of us are like me and are also military history gamers??? Who cross dress as Sports Simmers?

robpost3 -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/22/2007 4:30:02 PM)

interesting thread-

[image]local://upfiles/22032/F12A418C83704131B1DEDD30E4A08DC6.jpg[/image]

robpost3 -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/22/2007 4:30:57 PM)

I just could'nt resist[;)]

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/22/2007 8:27:54 PM)

Hey... at least it's not Dennis Rodman.

WHEW!

[:-]

KG Erwin -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/23/2007 1:14:34 AM)

Jim, I started out as a board wargamer when I was maybe ten or eleven, and became a baseball fan/gamer relatively late in life, in my mid-twenties. My first-attended major-league game was at Three Rivers. That's how I became attached to the Pirates. The first player I became fascinated with was Tony Pena. He gave everything he had and did it for the love of the game, even though the team was not very good. This was in the mid-eighties, and MLB was having some serious problems. Nevertheless, here's this guy who's playing his heart out, and AFAIK, he never had any of the stigma of drug use that made headlines and threatened the integrity of the game. That stuck with me.

I keep in mind George Carlin's classic routine on Baseball vs Football: "In football, the object is to take the enemy's territory. In baseball, the object is to go home...in football, you have the blitz and the bomb. In baseball, you have the sacrifice..."

While it's a funny routine, as I'm getting older I'm finding more analogies between baseball as war vs football as a campaign within a war. In baseball, the long season is like a war, in which you can lose battles but still win the ultimate victory (the World Series), as long as you keep casualties (injuries) to a minimum, have better soldiers (players), and have a better commander (manager). A bit of luck doesn't hurt in either case.

jimkehn -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/23/2007 1:39:13 AM)

KG--I too started out wargaming on table top. With Squad Leader. Still love that game and am amazed at how well it simulates everything. I was a baseball fan. Still remember the year. It was 1962, and Post cereals had  baseball cards on the back of their cereal boxes. Of course the stats were based on the 1961 season. A memorable season for lotsa reasons. Not just Roger Maris. Lotsa guys had great years. Norm Cash batting .361 with 46 homers, for one. Left baseball for football as there is more action. Came back to baseball. No sport has near the overall charm of baseball. So many strategies to consider. I have not left wargaming. However, now I restrict myself to computer games only. BoA is the game for me now. It is elegantly simple to play, yet a mile deep. As for Puresim. I love the game. The sounds are so lifelike (wish it had better play calling other than..."AT Bat: Andrew Lindley"), I often have a game running (I mostly use "Watch" mode) while I am doing paperwork. I immerse myself in the stats, and set lineups, call up minor leaguers, do the trades, etc. But in-game managing I leave to the computer, as I can be doing other things. This hasn't diminished my enjoyment of the game one bit. One thing that has intrigued me is that different players have different stamina levels. Not just endurance ratings of pitchers, but position players as well. Andrew Lindley, for example can play forever before going green, but Randall Moore goes green after two games, and never gets above "Fair". Not even after the off season. But, it is the little nuances like this that has caused me to fall in love with the game.  Can't wait for the '07 season to start. GO ROCKIES!!!!

akcranker -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/23/2007 2:27:15 AM)

I don't know that I would call myself a wargamer but if you can consider Risk & Axis & Allies as wargames then I love both of them. A friend of mine like 10 years ago owned Axis and Allies & I fell in love with it.. he moved away and I never played it again.. then just recently I was at a thrift store and found 1 in near perfect condition with only 1 or 2 pieces missing and I got it for I think .50 cents. I was so happy to find this gem from the past. As for computer war games I haven't played many historical ones.. if your talking just war in general I like a game called Total Annihilation. If you guy's can recommend any good games please do.

Crimguy -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/24/2007 1:27:53 AM)

Still playing 4-5 Matrix titles:
WitP
Conquest of the Aegean
Flashpoint Germany (patch just came out)
Forge of Freedom

Football Manager 07 is taking most of my time though these days.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JimKehn

Just curious. How many of us are like me and are also military history gamers??? Who cross dress as Sports Simmers?

KG Erwin -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/24/2007 2:28:16 AM)

This thing about "crossdressing" is a little weird-sounding, but yeah, sometimes I'm the guy in my avatar, and at other times I might act closer to THIS guy:

[image]local://upfiles/813/1CABB62CFD53463D95554DC0AC1A803B.jpg[/image]

menippus -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/24/2007 8:17:46 AM)

I'm primarily a wargamer. Currently on my machine are SP:WaW, Titans of Steel, WinSPMBT, WinSPWW2, and Birth of America. I discovered Puresim through the Matrix website. The only other computer Baseball sim-like game I had ever tried before Puresim was Culture Brain's Baseball Simulator 1.000 series. (If you like old Nintendo games, you should try it out...you can play straight baseball or field teams where the players have super powers, like pitching balls that transform into heavy iron or batting a ball that causes a small earthquake when it hits the ground.)

When I wargame, I think of Puresim as "what the boys are fighting for"...however, interestingly enough when I wargame WW2, I gravitate toward the Japanese. *shrugs*

donkuchi19 -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/24/2007 5:27:06 PM)

I have many matrix titles as well as other wargames. I play War in the Pacific, World at War, Reach for the Stars, and Crown of Glory besides Pure Sim Baseball. I also have Total Pro Football (no longer available), as well as some RTS and other turn based strategy games. I have another category as well though because I also play the RPG's as well. Favorites there are both Knights of the Old Repbulic, both Neverwinter Nights, as well as the entire Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. I guess that makes me a three way which sounds much better than a cross dresser to me!!!

Nukester -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/24/2007 6:04:38 PM)

I dont play many wargames, the last of which I owned was probably Steel Panthers. Im a HUGE RPG buff though

redsoxfan99 -> RE: Puresim Crossdressers (2/26/2007 10:53:32 AM)

Sports sim gamer here who periodically runs Wargames (computerised) in parallel but always end up back on sports sims alone

John

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI