Force Editor (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

biddrafter2 -> Force Editor (2/23/2007 7:53:05 AM)

Does anyone have a custom tool that can edit the force/formations/deployment types in a more user friendly way? I've built a couple of maps before (just for fun), but this is the first time I've tried adding forces to a scenario and I'm finding it cumbersome at best. Although I pretty much understand the details of current interface, I'm just wondering if someone has developed an easier way. Something like F4/F5, but with formation and deployment information.

thanks!

shunwick -> RE: Force Editor (2/23/2007 6:27:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jakobscalpel

Does anyone have a custom tool that can edit the force/formations/deployment types in a more user friendly way? I've built a couple of maps before (just for fun), but this is the first time I've tried adding forces to a scenario and I'm finding it cumbersome at best. Although I pretty much understand the details of current interface, I'm just wondering if someone has developed an easier way. Something like F4/F5, but with formation and deployment information.

thanks!

As far as I know nobody has such a custom tool. Personally, I find it much easier to design maps, build formations, and resolve questions about deployment on paper first. Excel can be good for the force composition and formation structure but you will need to transfer the information manually into toaw.

Scenario design is tricky. It requires considerable planning, in my experience, and I find it much easier to resolve the basic structure on paper first, copy that information into the toaw editor, and then begin testing to make sure that the sceanrio plays as you wish it to play. There are always some adjustments necessary and you should remember the two golden rules of scenario design - design for effect and don't neglect documentation.

As I said, this is my personal preference. I find it makes scenario design easier and cleaner but it's not for everyone.

Best wishes,

ralphtricky -> RE: Force Editor (2/26/2007 7:06:21 AM)

Wait for the patch[8D].

Unless I broke something, it allows exporting and importing OOBs into XML.

That includes formation, unit and objective information.

It's not extremely user friendly, but it does allow for many simple changes to be done easily in bulk by search/replace operations.

Good Luck

Veers -> RE: Force Editor (2/26/2007 7:12:12 AM)

quote:

It's not extremely user friendly, but it does allow for many simple changes to be done easily in bulk by search/replace operations.

Awesome. How's testing of that going, Ralph? :D

biddrafter2 -> RE: Force Editor (2/26/2007 10:14:53 PM)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can hardly wait to see the new xml import interface, since I write XML pretty much every day at work [:)]. Ralph, will there be an xsd schema that comes along with it so we can validate our input, or is it more free form. Great addition!

ralphtricky -> RE: Force Editor (2/27/2007 2:41:41 AM)

quote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can hardly wait to see the new xml import interface, since I write XML pretty much every day at work [:)]. Ralph, will there be an xsd schema that comes along with it so we can validate our input, or is it more free form. Great addition!

Freeform. The schema is pretty simple, and I'm using a freeware library. When/if I make the jump to .Net, I'll probably add schemas. I'm glad you appreciate it, it seemed like a logical choice.

Raindem -> RE: Force Editor (3/3/2007 12:33:32 AM)

quote:

thanks!

Opart Design & Debug is such a tool, but until recently was focused primarily on Events. But now, Force and Equipment editors are being added as we speak. It will be a user-friendlier way to edit those XMLs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI