Hot Stove 2007 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

KG Erwin -> Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 3:36:20 AM)

It kinda surprises me that we don't talk about real-life MLB that much. For me, it's not too surprising, as after 17 straight losing seasons, the number-one story in Pittsburgh is taking odds on how long GM Dave Littlefield will keep his job.

Really, it disturbs me that this beautiful ballpark has to be populated by such a terrible team. I rarely watch them, even though many of their games are broadcast here.

Then there's the Yankees -- what else is new? [8|]

Ok, the Cubs spent a ton of money -- what's it gonna get them?

I could pontificate for an extended period on how the money issues and the Players' Union has ruined MLB, but I'll spare you guys.

So, are any of you excited about your team's prospects for 2007?

tbear2b -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 5:36:01 AM)

The Twins are finally paying people to stay with them and keeping a strong nucleus together.  I'm excited to see if they can do more this year.

KG Erwin -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 5:48:25 AM)

Ok, this point has been argued frequently, but with the dearth of good pitching, why has no manager dared to adopt a 4-man rotation, with a fifth guy being a spot-starter? If seems that the 5-man rotation has become an article of faith. It would only ONE manager to have the courage to do it, and if was successful, then everyone would jump on the bandwagon.

This is just one of several issues that sour me on modern baseball. The use of the DH is another -- either apply the rule in BOTH leagues (yes, considering the power of the PU--the Players' Union, properly the Players' Association -- no difference ) or abolish it. I'd favor applying it to both leagues. The use of different rules is a joke, and it has been a joke since it was instituted.

akcranker -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 11:31:21 AM)

I don't know what to expect from the Cardinals.. I really haven't seen them do anything in the offseason to acquire new players.. so who knows they may win 90 games and make it into the playoffs.. hopefully win a series or two and put themselves into position to defend their title.. but I'm not counting on it.

SirWolf1960 -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 3:50:29 PM)

KG, you are right about the DH. Personally, I don't like the rule, but if you are going to have it, it needs to be the same in both leagues. It might have made a little sense when umpires only represented one league. But now, the umps float back and forth, and they should be enforcing the same rules, no matter what home park they are in.

As for the prospects for this year, I am confident the Royals will improve in '07. But they have the misfortune of being in the same division as the Twins, ChiSox, and Tigers. Maybe we could put in for a transfer to the West???

Steve

donkuchi19 -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 5:22:00 PM)

I would love to get rid of the DH altogether. This is coming from an AL fan and an Indians fan. I like watching NL baseball better. That is why never miss the Indians games in NL ballparks.

The Indians addressed their major need from last year which was the bullpen. The starters and the offense were fine. They would get into the late innings though and just implode. I think we led both leagues in blown games last year. Not sure how it will work out though. One guy we signed as a competition for closer retired. The others could be hits or misses. I also think that we need a new manager. Eric Wedge doesn't have it as a mangager. He doesn't motivate the players and doesn't make smart moves. The Indians haven't had a solid Major League manager since Hargrove left.

jimkehn -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 8:00:49 PM)

I'm liking the  Rockies this year. Those new kids, Holiday and Hawpe, Barmes and Atkins sure look good to me. And Jamey Carroll has come in and done a great job for the Rocks. Helton had an off year hitting only .302 and 15 homers. Not bad for most guys, but for him it really sucks. But Holiday, Atkins and Hawpe made up for most of it with a combined 85 homers. Also, for most of the year, Brian Fuentes was outstanding as a closer. Just need to polish up the starting pitching a bit. Not sure how much Javier Lopez will help at catching. They may be 10 years too late.

KG Erwin -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/24/2007 8:39:05 PM)

Jim, I gotta say that I feel sympathy for any pitcher on the staff of the Rockies. The park factor is a killer. [X(]

JonnieR -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/25/2007 7:33:37 PM)

I just finished the setting up the Rockies preliminary 40 man roster for 2007 and my observation is that this team needs a plan. They have some young talent but they do not seem to be paying at a competitive level and many of their players had to go to salary arbitration ( more so than other teams). They made Helton a franchise player paying him around $17 million, but then dscussed sending him to Boston. The next highest paid player is Halliday and he to go to arbitration to get $4 million. None of the young pitchers are being paid competiively. Looks lke the Florida Marlin Strategy without the Marlins eye for talent.

I can't imagine there is much team loyalty among the players.

jimkehn -> RE: Hot Stove 2007 (2/26/2007 12:16:50 AM)

Yeah, Jonnie, I agree. The Rox have been strugglin financially. They paid Helton a lot, Larry Walker, Mike Hampton and Denny Nagle took them to the poor house. They are just now getting beyond the Hampton/Nagle/Walker thing. They have decided, rather than pay for established names, to build from the farm system, and have been doing a good job of scouting and finding talent like Halliday and Hawpe and Atkins, but they just need to get outta some past obligations before being able to retain home grown talent like these guys.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI