RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project

wzh55 -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 5:26:58 AM)

Gil,

a "flavor quote" for you to ponder...showing how REAL war is.

“It was at this point that, for the first time, I saw a man killed in battle. We were standing to arms awaiting orders to advance; another regiment of the brigade was supporting us a short distance in the rear-the Sixtieth Virginia, under Colonel Starke, who was killed later while commanding a Louisiana brigade at Sharpsburg, in September, 1862. A shell plowed the crest of the elevation in front, and our line made a profound obeisance as it passed over; it seemed as if it must clear us but about reach the Sixtieth, and as I ducked I glanced back that way and witnessed its effect in their ranks. The body of a stalwart young fellow suddenly disappeared, and on the ground where he had stood was a confused mass of quivering limbs which presently lay stil--the same shell, as I learned afterward, carried away the top of a man's head in our own regiment.”

By Allen C. Redwood
Fifty-fifth Virginia-Regiment, Confederate States Army, June 26, 1862
near the Meadow Bridge Road Bridge,spanning a fork of the Chickahominy River, Virginia

Gil R. -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 6:21:55 AM)

Thanks. One of the more gruesome ones, but what the heck. I had to trim out Col. Starke for this to fit:

It was at this point that, for the first time, I saw a man killed in battle. We were standing to arms awaiting orders to advance; another regiment of the brigade was supporting us a short distance in the rear – the 60th Virginia... A shell plowed the crest of the elevation in front, and our line made a profound obeisance as it passed over; it seemed as if it must clear us but about reach the 60th, and as I ducked I glanced back that way and witnessed its effect in their ranks. The body of a stalwart young fellow suddenly disappeared, and on the ground where he had stood was a confused mass of quivering limbs which presently lay still – the same shell, as I learned afterward, carried away the top of a man’s head in our own regiment. – Allen C. Redwood, 55th Virginia

Drex -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 6:30:07 AM)

What is the word limit for the Flavor quotes?

Gil R. -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 6:37:45 AM)

There's no precise word limit. Generally, I try to make sure that they're shorter than the longest one that I know will fit. That's the following quote, which is at 837 characters (ideally, a quote should not be over 800 characters, including spaces):

For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin... – William Faulkner (from “Intruder in the Dust”)

wzh55 -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 7:58:37 AM)

Gil,
I did notice last night that one of the quotes seemed to be too long, the name of the person quotes was cut off with only his first name appearing.

Gil R. -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 9:35:52 AM)

That's an issue happening only on some computers, for some reason. Each quote that was on the long side I've manually tested to make sure it would fit, and it did. We're not sure why it's happening -- must be related to font sizes, or screen resolutions, or some such thing.

Drex -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/3/2007 10:38:12 PM)

Here's one that is uplifting: "Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the 'order arms'...-the marching salute. [General] Gorden at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, lookd up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutationas he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual, - honor answering honor." from Chamberlain's description of the surrender ceremony at Appommatox in "The Passing of the Armies"

jkBluesman -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/27/2007 7:11:42 PM)

Several quotes from "A Diary of Battle. The Personal Journals of Charles S. Wainwright, 1861-1865".

- on how the Emancipation Proclamtion was received in the Army of the Potomac after Antietam:
"I do not hear much in the army of the subject, but all think it unadvised at this time; even the most anti-slavery. It has been very evident that this was what the radicals have been driving at for some time past, but I had hoped that Mr. Lincoln would have had force enough to resist."

- on raising new regiments:
"The army has been increasing somewhat in strength by the arrival of recruits and new regiments and by the sending back of deserters
and men kept too long in the hospitals. This system of raising new regiments is a very bad one. No one not actually in service can understand how bad it is. It is almost as bad as commencing all over again, where we were a year ago."

- on discipline in the Army of the Potomac:
"Every man thinks that he is conferring a favour on the government by being here at all, and commences to pout and hang back so soon as government fails to furnish him with everything he is entitled to. I do not know that this can be remedied in so free a country. Discipline of any kind, save that of public opinion, is unknown in the country, and contrary to the whole education and general habit of our people."

- on Southern officers and their loyalty:
"It is impossible to look upon this class of men in our Southern states as actual traitors. They are so most certainly in deed, but not in heart; on the contrary, it is their very patriotism which makes them traitors."

Gil R. -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (8/29/2007 6:02:08 AM)

quote:

- on raising new regiments:
"The army has been increasing somewhat in strength by the arrival of recruits and new regiments and by the sending back of deserters
and men kept too long in the hospitals. This system of raising new regiments is a very bad one. No one not actually in service can understand how bad it is. It is almost as bad as commencing all over again, where we were a year ago."

Huh. Seems like a perfect description of how camps work in the game. I wish I had had this for flavor text for the manual.

jkBluesman -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (10/16/2007 10:56:24 PM)

"The medical staff has changed vastly from what it was a year ago; fully one-half of the old regimental surgeons have been sent home, and better ones come out in their place. Those that had brains enough to hold their commissions have learned their duties, the business part of which was totally new to every one of them, as well as the different mode of treatment required for troops in this climate from that needed by people living in houses farther north."

Charles S. Wainwright on August 9, 1863 in his "Diary of Battle"

On October 23, 1864 he writes about deserters in the Army of the Potomac:
"Desertions to the enemy, too, have become fearfully numerous in our army, a thing almost unknown before. They are all "bounty jumpers"; men who enlisted simply to get the money, and who not able to escape on their way down, now go over to the other side, not to fight with them, but to be sent by blockade runners to the West Indies, or by the underground railroad to Canada, from whence they again come into the country at some point where they are not known; again enlist, and receive a second or third 1000$ bounty."

Gil R. -> RE: Request for "flavor quotes" (10/24/2007 6:24:33 AM)

Thanks. I'll keep these in mind next time I add to the flavor quotes file.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI