Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III

SMK-at-work -> Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 12:21:44 PM)

What are they useful for?

They have a range but most don't actually have any artillery, they have a few MP's so have a very minor traffic role, but that's not an important function anyway.

Do they give supply to anyone apart from the couple of independant regiments that are attached to a couple of them?

I use them for converting hexes, their disengagement bonus (very occasionally only) and surrounding units in the early stages of the campaign.

If there's a counter shortage in the game would it be useful to amalgamate them with a few of the artillery regiments?

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 1:06:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

What are they useful for?

They have a range but most don't actually have any artillery, they have a few MP's so have a very minor traffic role, but that's not an important function anyway.

Do they give supply to anyone apart from the couple of independant regiments that are attached to a couple of them?

I use them for converting hexes, their disengagement bonus (very occasionally only) and surrounding units in the early stages of the campaign.

If there's a counter shortage in the game would it be useful to amalgamate them with a few of the artillery regiments?

The designer himself told me, as they are on free support you can position them beside airplanes or arty or beside land units as they are supposed to give them a boos in supply. I think that is nothing considerable if at all (I didn't noticed so much of a difference) but is nice to roleplay hehe and think that those guys are doing something.

panzerpelle -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 1:41:17 PM)

I would use the supply icon on them instead if thats their intended use...

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 3:35:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzerpelle

I would use the supply icon on them instead if thats their intended use...

you are right.and on top of that I think that with anti air thingie stronger in t3 I would give german inf hq's some AA guns to defend themselves against planes. I think that they have antitank guns and it would be much more logical that they have some AA guns as they are not front lines units.

Mario

Zort -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 5:14:07 PM)

But maybe they are there for when TOAW allows for a more dynamic chain of command so you can link the divs to corps to armies[&o]

Talking about extra units, some of the German navy in FITE should be taken out. That only saves one or two units.

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/9/2007 8:19:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

But maybe they are there for when TOAW allows for a more dynamic chain of command so you can link the divs to corps to armies[&o]

Talking about extra units, some of the German navy in FITE should be taken out. That only saves one or two units.

Well, I wouldn't do that but suit yourself, I like navy as it is.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/10/2007 12:25:23 AM)

Linking formations upwards would be nice :)

So it seems thay are essentially surplus at the moment - IMO amalgamting them with artillery would be a good idea - although probably fairly time consuming...

wwiiguy -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 4:31:52 PM)

quote:

SMK-at-work said:

Linking formations upwards would be nice :)

I agree. I think that would be cool if there were formations within formations. Also if you read any military accounts of battles, you find that detachments from various formations were either temporarily or permanently attached to other formations as needs arose. The one thing that I think this game could model better is command and control at a corp and army level.

Karri -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 4:40:07 PM)

Well, personally I use them for two things, partisan hunting and bridge repairing...2-3 of those usually get 1 bridge repaired per turn. High movement points and no combat also means that they're actually pretty good at that role.

Menschenfresser -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 5:30:51 PM)

Supply is probably their best role in FitE for the Germans during Barbarossa. It's important to move quickly across the map AND keep a constant mobile reserve force resupplying behind the main advance. Having no artillery, these Corps & Army HQs are perfect for that. Supply increases by up to 50% for units sitting next to cooperative HQs. There are other units I like to use to convert territory. It's never my greatest concern, because if you take Moscow in 41 you've probably won and you'll have all the time in the world to subdue the populace. If you don't, then you'll have a long stalemate during which to convert the territory.

Personally, if CnC structure is further implemented in the TOAW engine, I'd rather have it something we can turn on and off. Some scenarios just don't need it. FitE would become a real bugger if we had to keep all units within X many hexes of HQs, which had to be X many hexes from their Corps HQs which had to be X many hexes from their Army HQs. Ugh.

wwiiguy -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 5:38:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL Menschenfresser

Personally, if CnC structure is further implemented in the TOAW engine, I'd rather have it something we can turn on and off. Some scenarios just don't need it. FitE would become a real bugger if we had to keep all units within X many hexes of HQs, which had to be X many hexes from their Corps HQs which had to be X many hexes from their Army HQs. Ugh.

Wouldn't that make it more realistic where the corp and army commanders HQ's moved with their respective formations?

golden delicious -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 6:56:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wwiiguy

Wouldn't that make it more realistic where the corp and army commanders HQ's moved with their respective formations?

It would have to be possible to transfer them between them, as enforcing the 1941 OOB for three and a half years would be insane.

As it stands, motorised corps HQs make great light recon or security troops.

wwiiguy -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 7:38:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

It would have to be possible to transfer them between them, as enforcing the 1941 OOB for three and a half years would be insane.

As it stands, motorised corps HQs make great light recon or security troops.

I know that the game is not designed to handle this and it does add quite a bit of complexity to this. And there are limits with today's computing technology on how far we can take things. The game does a great job of modeling many aspects of operations.

I like to imagine myself in Eisenhower's shoes with the German's pouring forth from the Ardenes and having to make critical decisions like assigning part of the American forces over to British command north of the bulge and reworking your Corp organizational structure due to the tactical situation at hand.

Or on a smaller scale to be a Corp Commander and attach a battlion of infantry from an infantry division to support an armored division on its advance. Having to account for the enhancement that might bring to the armored division while the detrimental effect that may have to the infantry division. Or the reverse taking the CCA of an armored division and attaching it to an infantry division.

It would require that there be some sort of benefit in the linkage to a central HQ of these various formations in supply and probably proficiency. There'd probably have to be penalties for being divided from your division, corp, or army hq's. There may be proficiency hits that you would take to a unit that get's attached to another formation due to lack of familiarity. Maybe even have a way of modelling characteristics of formations based on the personalities of the commanding Generals.

To me, having to make such decisions were as much a part of operations as supply and telling units to go from here to there and attack that line along such and such an axis of advance. Those were some of the tough calls that commanders had to make to get the job done.

It's a pipe dream on my part probably, but I think I would enjoy having to solve some of those kinds of problems as part of the operations of my armies. It might be kind of interesting to have to deal with.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I enjoy the game as it is and will continue to play for a long, long time. [:)]

Zort -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 7:44:33 PM)

I agree and GG War in Russia does this I think, you can assign div to corps which are assigned to armies.

Veers -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 7:45:25 PM)

This has been widely discussed, and, with luck, the design team will get to it someday. :D

Zort -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/12/2007 7:49:09 PM)

Darn and I thought we were being original and new[:D]

golden delicious -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 2:31:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wwiiguy
And there are limits with today's computing technology on how far we can take things.

No- I would say not. The real limitation is the resources to program the changes. Computer power we have in spades.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 2:34:48 AM)

Ah well - I've taken to being a bit more careful where I put these things now - they are occasionally apeparing beside airbases or artillery stacks when there's nothing better to do with them! [:)]

golden delicious -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 3:28:05 AM)

quote:

Ah well - I've taken to being a bit more careful where I put these things now - they are occasionally apeparing beside airbases or artillery stacks when there's nothing better to do with them! [:)]

I don't think air units benefit from being adjacent to an HQ.

Anyway, note that in a lot of these scenarios, all your standard German units will have full co-operation with one another. So a stack of corps artillery will get the HQ bonus from a divisional HQ just as well as a corps or army.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 5:52:07 AM)

Monkeys Brain suggested above that they might be useful for air units - can't do any harm......

Monkeys Brain -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 12:27:44 PM)

quote:

Monkeys Brain suggested above that they might be useful for air units - can't do any harm......

To be fair Ben Hur may be right [;)]

When I put corps HQ on or beside airport with planes I didn't noticed any improve in supply but TOAW have some fuzzy logic for this and also planes do get maximum supply even on under supplied source (I think that I read this)

EDIT: well maybe they can also shoot some planes if airf. is attacked.

golden delicious -> RE: Axis Corps and Army HQ's in FitE (3/13/2007 7:49:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeys Brain

When I put corps HQ on or beside airport with planes I didn't noticed any improve in supply but TOAW have some fuzzy logic for this and also planes do get maximum supply even on under supplied source (I think that I read this)

This is the ticket. In TOAW, so long as an air unit receives any supply at all, it receives full supply- including that portion which depends on the presence of an HQ.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI