Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Stardog -> Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 5:17:48 PM)

Hey how many of you guys remember these two games? Panzer Blitz & Panzer Leader

Man were they a blast!!.. (For me ) They were by fare the most exciting & fun Board Wargames I ever played. Friday nights melted into Saturday mornings, I mean whole Saturdays were set-aside and devoted to them! New guys that had never even played wargames before found theses games compelling and easy to learn.Friendships were made and sometimes almost broken. We would made extra maps so we could have Big 2 VRS 2 games with most of the counters on the boards! O Man was it was great!.. You could be kicking ass one minute only to have the Dice go against you the next or for your opponent to out maneuver you.
Man was it fun!!...
Then you get older and time goes by.Friends move, work takes over, the wife has a cow if you leave map boards with counters on the dining table for more than a day.
Time just evaporates before your eyes. Now if I'm lucky I play 1 game a year.

Hey has Matrix ever thought of doing a wargame like Panzer Leader &/Or Panzer Blitz ? I don't mean close-to or kind-of like or it sort-of reminds me of . I mean just like it but with out the name of corse its a Avloan Hill trade mark I think. Maybe if "WE' email them they will think about it. Its a thought.
I do thank Matrix for all the hard work that they do for us old wargamers!..
Hope this brought back some good memories for you guys.

Later The Stardog

wworld7 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 6:18:51 PM)

Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader were ok.

Way back in the old days (the 70s) I was part of a small group of gamers and we had more fun playing AH's Stalingrad, Waterloo, Africa Korp, D-Day etc.

Those were the days.

I would pay $200.00 for a PC version of any of these. How I wish Avalon Hill was still functioning like the old days. They were simple but I loved those old Combat Results Tables (CRTs). And no Axis & Allies just doesn't cut it for me.

Flipper

a white rabbit -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 8:22:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader were ok.

Way back in the old days (the 70s) I was part of a small group of gamers and we had more fun playing AH's Stalingrad, Waterloo, Africa Korp, D-Day etc.

Those were the days.

I would pay $200.00 for a PC version of any of these. How I wish Avalon Hill was still functioning like the old days. They were simple but I loved those old Combat Results Tables (CRTs). And no Axis & Allies just doesn't cut it for me.

Flipper

..hey man, yr showing yr age, guess you get Groniard status...

..yup, did Pzr Leader too..thank heaven for d/s/n rkn rl, and the internet...

Sardonic -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 8:41:51 PM)

PanzerBlitz 'never put infantry on top of a tank, if the enemy has any motars'

That, and the game 'Anzio'. Also '1914' The only good game about WW1 until Frank Hunter's.

Then there was 'Jutland' crawling around the floor and irritating my fiancee.

Was fun.

a white rabbit -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 8:59:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

That, and the game 'Anzio'. Also '1914' The only good game about WW1 until Frank Hunter's.

Was fun.

..Anzio ?..SPI ? a nice game, well balanced..

..dunno for WW1 boats, we were playing them on the cricket field, ranges in yards...

..geat days tho, and yes, it annoyed the then fiancee

wworld7 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/12/2007 11:50:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardonic

Was fun.

I loved AHs Anzio, that was fun game. I never played 1914.

Flipper

Fred98 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 12:21:53 AM)

When home PCs started to become popular, I would go around and look at all the software on display.

Of course I was looking for Avalon Hill games!

For years and years there was nothing. Until finally SSG produced their first game from the RUN 5 series – Rommel. 

And so it is I am a Wintel man.

-

Raverdave -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 1:14:08 AM)

Ah Panzer Leader!  I first cut my teeth on that game............man I played and played and played it till the counters become scuffed and warn.

Jevhaddah -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 1:29:24 AM)

I still have panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz up in the attic [:D] 

It was my ambition to turn the attic into my war room, but I am the only guy in the house, so My wife and daughters vetoed the idea..[sm=sign0063.gif]

Cheers

Jev

Plodder -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 1:41:49 AM)

MMP, the guys who produce ASL have had a PB/PL remake in the works for a few years now.I don't know the status of the project but they released a few screenshots recently.

edit: Just checked their site, they have it on pre-order[:)] http://www.multimanpublishing.com/preorder/viewGame.php?id=38

Plodder -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 1:43:58 AM)

A couple of screenies:
[image]http://www.multimanpublishing.com/preorder/po_images/pb2-mapsample-web.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.multimanpublishing.com/preorder/po_images/pb-counter-mixed-web.jpg[/image]

morvwilson -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 3:50:05 AM)

I happened to cut my teeth on tactics II. Never did much with PB or PL but how many of you guys remember:
Tobruk or
Wooden Ships & Iron Men?

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 4:56:30 AM)

I have those and anzio[X(]

Brigz -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 5:25:24 AM)

The good old days.

[image]local://upfiles/5427/71248E9548B545708A2C0D71F30C0F67.jpg[/image]

wworld7 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 7:19:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

The good old days.

[image]local://upfiles/5427/71248E9548B545708A2C0D71F30C0F67.jpg[/image]

WOW!!!

Flipper

sneaky_jap -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 11:27:21 AM)

http://hometown.aol.com/ssbtdoom/pbone.htm

This is old link I had for panzer leader site.
Have only glanced at new site after checking the link before posting.

Giacomo

Kevin E. Duguay -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 2:20:18 PM)

The Plodder is correct!

MMP is doing a remake of the game called Panzer Blitz II. As can be seen in the above screen shots it has been updated to some extent. The counters have a bit more information on them and the first module is a historical one that will be played on a hex covered actual terrain map. I belive that this module is just to test the waters so to speak. If this sells well they may put out a general module with 3 or more nationalities represented with more module to follow depending on sales. Failing that, they may just continue to produce historical modules. Basicly what I'm trying to say is that the original intent was to produce Panzer Blitz II in much the same way as Advanced Squad Leader with multiple modules.

Brady -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 5:27:47 PM)

Toyko Express was my first war game, the second and third were these two, Panzer Leader and Panzer Blits, I used to play them aganst my dad, then I went on to SL and ASL.[:)]

wworld7 -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 5:46:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Toyko Express was my first war game, the second and third were these two, Panzer Leader and Panzer Blits, I used to play them aganst my dad, then I went on to SL and ASL.[:)]

Good memories are NICE.

I tried but couldn't get interested in SL or ASL. I like Operational or Strategic games for the most part.

New Plan: Matrix puts on hold most current projects and encougaes all good developers to buy the rights to ALL the old Avalon Hill classics and Matrix will release them one at a time every other month.

YEAH BABY!!!

Flipper

Hanal -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/13/2007 9:58:46 PM)

The Kursk scenario from PanzerBlitz was my favorite........

KG Erwin -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/14/2007 2:20:27 AM)

Yep, have both Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz. As a matter of fact, I also have the custom counter set produced for the PL 1940 mod. That issue of the AH General was excellent.

Also, I have a copy of "Arab-Israeli Wars", a modernized version of that series.

Let me top that -- I have a collected series of the first 15 issues of "Strategy & Tactics" magazine, and packed away in a closet, a 1967 edition of "Stalingrad". That one was my very first wargame.

I've lost count of the boardgames I have stashed away after 30+ years of collecting them.

Reg -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/16/2007 9:14:43 AM)

You guys might be interested in VASSAL which has an area on the Matrix Games forums. Have a look at the following link:

Vassal Module: Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader (TAHGC)

mlees -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/16/2007 5:37:06 PM)

I, too, cut my teeth on Squad Leader, Victory in the Pacific, and so forth. (I miss the days of my youth when I had the stamina for marathon gaming sessions. Now, fatigue sets in in a few hours.)

One thing that is better today than yesteryear is the quality of the artwork and printing, as seen in post # 11.

ravinhood -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/16/2007 7:37:59 PM)

Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz and Squad Leader all fit into the same nice catagory for me. Best board wargames ever made. :)

RevRick -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/17/2007 5:14:34 AM)

I got started on D-Day in the early 60's. Then France '40 & WSIM. but found Squad Leader in the 70's. My Gaming Buddy and I would spend hours over the rules in Squad Leader, or really have some explaining to do in Whitehall, kill a fifth of Turkey, and be at it at 0400 the next AM.

Miss those days. Don't have room to set up any of the games I have, including the SPI War in the Pacific.

Brigz -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/17/2007 11:58:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Panzer Leader and Panzer Blitz and Squad Leader all fit into the same nice catagory for me. Best board wargames ever made. :)

Have to agree ravinhood. PanzerBlitz is probably one of the most eloquently designed games ever. In it's chess-like simplicity it allows for extremely competitive play. It also does one thing that every novice wargamer needs to learn. It teaches the doctrine of combined arms better than any game or book I've seen. Same for PanzerLeader.

I made the switch from Squad Leader to Advanced Squad Leader and am glad I did. Loved Squad Leader but after playing ASL I could never go back. Pretty much only play ASL face to face now, but would play PanzerBlitz at the drop of a hat if the opportunity ever came up.

a white rabbit -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/17/2007 4:26:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Have to agree ravinhood. PanzerBlitz is probably one of the most eloquently designed games ever. In it's chess-like simplicity it allows for extremely competitive play. It also does one thing that every novice wargamer needs to learn. It teaches the doctrine of combined arms better than any game or book I've seen. Same for PanzerLeader.

I made the switch from Squad Leader to Advanced Squad Leader and am glad I did. Loved Squad Leader but after playing ASL I could never go back. Pretty much only play ASL face to face now, but would play PanzerBlitz at the drop of a hat if the opportunity ever came up.

..that was then, this is a computerised now, t3 all the way..

..come on, maps all over the floor, the "wife", the kids, the rest of it..

..nahh, at least all i have to do now is stop the little one pushing the keyboard..

SMK-at-work -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/18/2007 4:28:03 AM)

Panzerblitz was the first board game I ever bought, way back in hte mid-7-0's when getting foreign exchange was bloody difficult.

I was disappointed with it even at hte time tho - it was OK, and is now a classic, but there was little to "write home about" IIRC.

bradfordkay -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/18/2007 7:13:07 AM)

Brady, are you talking about Victory Game's Tokyo Express? The solitare boardgame produced in the '80s? Good game...

I bought PB in eigth grade, the year it was released and loved it and its progeny (Panzer Leader and Arab-Israeli Wars) until Squad Leader. At first I resisted SL (and ASL) as a cheezy way to make us keep buying the same game (I was a rather poor college student in those days), but finally was converted...

Though to me, Battleline's Flattop was the best ever board game. I am definitely a S. Craig Taylor and Steve Peak fan! I loved everything of theirs I ever bought...

a white rabbit -> RE: Does anyone remember Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz? (3/22/2007 11:34:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Brady, are you talking about Victory Game's Tokyo Express? The solitare boardgame produced in the '80s? Good game...

I bought PB in eigth grade, the year it was released and loved it and its progeny (Panzer Leader and Arab-Israeli Wars) until Squad Leader. At first I resisted SL (and ASL) as a cheezy way to make us keep buying the same game (I was a rather poor college student in those days), but finally was converted...

Though to me, Battleline's Flattop was the best ever board game. I am definitely a S. Craig Taylor and Steve Peak fan! I loved everything of theirs I ever bought...

..expanding the discussion...

..yes, there were some bloody good designers then, imagine what they could do now...

..mind you, we've some beauts, even if sometimes their taste in shorts is somewhat dodgy..[8D]

..reASL, mm, but isn't it nice to have a P3 chip

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI