Sorry guys, I think this is a bug... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support

shunwick -> Sorry guys, I think this is a bug... (3/13/2007 11:28:29 PM)

I created a small test scenario to watch what happens to supply levels under different circumstances. In the process I found that unmoved, unmolested, and unsupplied units in the six-hour time scale don't lose readiness or supply points even though the unit display clearly shows unsupplied.

It doesn't matter how you make the unit unsupplied. You can park an enemy unit on its supply point, you can surround it with enemy units, or you can simply walk it into badlands. As long as you don't move it or attack it, the unit will not lose readiness or supply. In fact, if readiness is lower than supply to begin with, the unit's readiness will increase to eventually match its supply level.

As far as I have tested this only applies to scenarios on the six-hour time scale. I have tried half-day, day, and full week and these all behave as they should.

Sorry about that.

Best wishes,

JAMiAM -> RE: Sorry guys, I think this is a bug... (3/14/2007 12:44:37 AM)

From 9.1.7, on page 27...

quote:

Supply Lines
As a general case, in order to receive resupply, units must be
able to trace a Line of Communication back to a friendly Supply
Source. If the unit cannot trace this Line, its Supply Level will
drop by an amount equal to the number of half days in a Turn.

Since the number of half days in a 6 hour turn scale is less than one, it is in this case rounded down to zero. At this scale, unless a unit is unsupplied for several turns in a row, it really doesn't make sense to drop its supply. It might be argued that the best thing to do in situations like this is to average the supply states for a unit over the course of four turns, and if the number of unsupplied turns is 1, or 2, then to reduce it by one, and if 3, or 4, then to reduce it by two.

However, this is really hair-splitting given the amount of supply that gets used in movement and combat. The primary effect of being unsupplied at this scale, as well as virtually all low supply situations is the inability of the unit to absorb replacements. That, and the permanent loss of equipment (through combat as well as transit) are the big killers here. Not whether a unit has one or two fewer supply points over the course of a day (four turns).

shunwick -> RE: Sorry guys, I think this is a bug... (3/14/2007 1:54:15 AM)

I am glad its not a bug. I guess its read the manual time again.

Best wishes,

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI