Er Rif (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Frederyck -> Er Rif (3/22/2007 4:11:15 PM)

Has Spain conquered Er Rif or is it an aligned minor? Ie, if the Axis declares war on Spain, would Er Rif be liberated or conquered if Tangiers is taken?

composer99 -> RE: Er Rif (3/22/2007 9:41:09 PM)

Er Rif... is that the territory to the south of Morocco or is it the Spanish Morocco minor country?

If the former, it is a territory controlled by the Spanish, and is conquered by powers who go to war with Spain if they control its cities and ports.

If the latter, it is a minor country aligned by Spain, and is conquered by powers who go to war with Spain if they take Tangiers.

Frederyck -> RE: Er Rif (3/22/2007 10:02:28 PM)

Er Rif is the region on the other side of Gibraltar, so to speak. It is a minor country, since it has a capital (Tangiers).

Froonp -> RE: Er Rif (3/22/2007 11:13:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

Has Spain conquered Er Rif or is it an aligned minor? Ie, if the Axis declares war on Spain, would Er Rif be liberated or conquered if Tangiers is taken?

El Rif is a Minor Country (has a capital city) aligned by Spain.
If the Axis conquer Tangier, El Rif is conquered.

Spain must setup half his land & air starting forces in Spain, the rest can be setup outside Spain. Why not El Rif ?
But this can be risky, as the Pyreneans will be gave without a fight. But the Spanish (& English) only need to keep Bilbao and / or Barcelona to be a pain in the ass to the German invading through the Pyreneans.

Froonp -> RE: Er Rif (3/22/2007 11:15:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Er Rif... is that the territory to the south of Morocco or is it the Spanish Morocco minor country?

If the former, it is a territory controlled by the Spanish, and is conquered by powers who go to war with Spain if they control its cities and ports.

If the latter, it is a minor country aligned by Spain, and is conquered by powers who go to war with Spain if they take Tangiers.

El Rif IS Spanish Morocco.
Someone even advocated changing the name, and he is historicaly right, this place was called Spanish Morocco in 40-45, but "Spanish Morocco" is a long text, maybe El Rif is better for that ?

Frederyck -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 10:44:11 AM)

It is Er Rif, but I think I'd prefer the correct war-time name of Spanish Morocco even though it might be longer.

composer99 -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 7:03:43 PM)

Curious factoid:

The name Er Rif (I'm guessing) derives from the name of the locals who were under Spanish colonial rule in the area: the Rif. Large numbers of Rif served in the Nationalist Army of Africa during the civil war.

I wonder if that justifies Er Rif having a territorial unit? [:)]

mlees -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 7:36:57 PM)

I also noticed the Er Rif is shown as belonging to Spain with the (Spa, three letters) at the end of it's label on the map. But Algeria only has (Fr, two letters).

Any special reason for using three letters in Er Rif?

Mziln -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 9:48:21 PM)

If the game were to use a 2 character country code they could be found here...

http://www.immigration-usa.com/country_digraphs.html

Spain would be ES.

mlees -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 9:53:30 PM)

The folks making the map can use whatever two letter code they wish. CWiF had SP...

Froonp -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 10:40:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

I also noticed the Er Rif is shown as belonging to Spain with the (Spa, three letters) at the end of it's label on the map. But Algeria only has (Fr, two letters).

Well, as far as I know, major powers have 2 letters abbreviations, and all other countries use the 3 character code of the International Olympic Commitee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Er Rif (3/23/2007 11:10:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlees

Well, as far as I know, major powers have 2 letters abbreviations, and all other countries use the 3 character code of the International Olympic Commitee. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes.

Not quite right. There is USA and USSR for instance.

trees -> RE: Er Rif (3/24/2007 2:44:24 AM)

In the Spanish Civil War scenario that was part of an older version of Days of Decision the Spanish Nationalists start with quite a force in Er Rif, maybe one of the counters even said 'Africa' on it?

iamspamus -> RE: Er Rif (3/26/2007 9:50:48 PM)

I think that this is Arabic. Some of the Arabic letters cause the Al- at the beginning of a word to take that letter. Thus Ar-Ramadi (actually Al-Ramadi) or As-Salaam. With the transliteration of some of the A's into E's and/or the O's and U's being transliterated differently (Muhammad or Mohammed is the same Arabic word MHMD.), could cause this. If the El- is Spanish rather than the Arabic Al-, I'd assume that it took the same rules. Gibratar = Jabril Tariq or mountain/rock of Tariq. Spanish, then English just dropped the final Q. Well, enough of the language lesson.

In closing, it should be Er-Rif or Er Rif.
Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

It is Er Rif, but I think I'd prefer the correct war-time name of Spanish Morocco even though it might be longer.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI