choppy gameplay (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support

jtareb -> choppy gameplay (3/25/2007 3:02:41 AM)

I've been playing witp since it came out without any real problem until now. Out of the blue I've started getting choppy game play.

Witp version 1.804
WinXP pro
geforce 7900
dual 3.0ghz processors

During my planning stage the game locks up for up to 30 seconds at a time repeatedly. Once I'm able to finish my part and end my turn the problems continue. During the air missions stage the combat reports frequently lock up with the sound skipping in the background. There are also graphics problems with a random white line appearing across the screen and with the map not refreshing when it moves say from SeAsia to South Pac for combat resolution.
I've run dxdiag and Norton a/v with no problems shown. I've also upgraded the drivers from Nvidia. All of my hardware is working fine which leaves me with the Witp software as the culprit. Right now my only solution is to remove witp and reload which I'm afraid to do as I might lose my saves. Any help or solutions will be appreciated.

Cpt Sherwood -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/25/2007 3:49:48 AM)

It sounds like you have something that is running in the background. Every so often it takes control and uses all of the CPU time for itself. You could try a clean boot

jtareb -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/25/2007 4:35:39 AM)

I've never had a problem with background stuff before--my rig has over 2 gig of ram. I just tried running Company of Heroes and got similar problems with white horizontal lines all over the place so its not a witp issue. I've just downloaded the latest driver for my monitor--its a dell 2407flat panel. Since Alienware has no weekend support I'll have to wait till Monday to contact them. I've had this machine for almost a year now and this is the first problem of any kind.

BigJ62 -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/25/2007 6:41:16 AM)

Whether this is true or not I don't know but there have been reports that XP sometimes has problems with greater than 2 gigs of ram, also some games preform poorly with more than one core or processor. You should only have two 1 gig sticks of ram by the same manufacture and same model and timings. Also, try switching to use only one core.

jtareb -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/25/2007 7:08:28 AM)

Thanks for the input guys. I think I've got some kind of hardware problem since it effects multiple games. This problem just started a few days ago--up till then everything worked fine.

jtareb -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/26/2007 12:15:16 AM)

Well I might have found a solution.
By disabling write-combining under the display troubleshooting panel I've been able to run witp with no problems so far

jtareb -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/26/2007 2:29:49 AM)

Forget my last post--the graphics problem is still there and after reading the nvidia forums I believe its an issue with the 7900gtx card's latest driver and my motherboard bios.

jtareb -> RE: choppy gameplay (3/26/2007 10:15:33 PM)

After checking the benchmarks with an Alienware rep I'm going to get a replacement video card. The rep said the newer high end cards are wearing out after 6 months to a year due to the heavy demands placed on them by the latest games. Luckily I kept the warranty updated[:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI