RE: Container Movement Rates (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback

Twotribes -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/7/2007 9:09:02 PM)

Please reference this as one of several supporting internet sites that clearly indicate the initial movement was to concentrate the CSA at Cashtown and that after contact was made near Gettysburg and the morning wore on Gen Lee decided, without benefit of accurate reports due to no contact with his cavalry, to push forward and engage the federal Forces where they had been found, even though he had no clear knowledge of size.

Further this site is excerpts from a book Gen. Longstreet wrote and as I understand it , is his recollection of events on the first day. He clearly indicates he rode forward and conferred with Lee and further adviced a flanking manuevor on the first day of battle.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/longstreetgettsyburg1.html

Further I agree I misunderstood your contention, I was under the impression you were saying that Lee had ordered the Army to assembly at Gettysburg and that THIS was why Heth and others arrived there the morning of the 1st. It is clear that Lee DID order the Army forward AFTER contact was made in an effort to engage the Union Army. He ordered them forward from their assembly in and near Cashtown.

Twotribes -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/7/2007 9:10:49 PM)

Wish someone could teach me how to copy and paste on this board.

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/7/2007 10:13:36 PM)

quote:

Please reference this as one of several supporting internet sites that clearly indicate the initial movement was to concentrate the CSA at Cashtown and that after contact was made near Gettysburg and the morning wore on Gen Lee decided, without benefit of accurate reports due to no contact with his cavalry, to push forward and engage the federal Forces where they had been found, even though he had no clear knowledge of size.

Further this site is excerpts from a book Gen. Longstreet wrote and as I understand it , is his recollection of events on the first day. He clearly indicates he rode forward and conferred with Lee and further adviced a flanking manuevor on the first day of battle.

Further I agree I misunderstood your contention, I was under the impression you were saying that Lee had ordered the Army to assembly at Gettysburg and that THIS was why Heth and others arrived there the morning of the 1st. It is clear that Lee DID order the Army forward AFTER contact was made in an effort to engage the Union Army. He ordered them forward from their assembly in and near Cashtown.

You actually went and looked some info. up. Thanx for the correction about when Lee issued the order to concentrate at Gettysburg. So, Heth was on his way to Cashtown not Shoetown (Gettysburg).

I have 'Gettysburg July 1st' by D.G. Martin and should read it, or at leats the beginning of it again. Have esome other books too, and the OR.

Also, the link you posted doesn't work.

You can't copy and paste from a Quick Reply screen at the Forum. You have to reply to another person's post in order to copy and paste.

Try this link to make long XXXX.url's into Tiny.url's. It is a very helpful link and utility to have:

http://tinyurl.com/create.php?url=

Chris the Shoeless

Twotribes -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/7/2007 11:52:22 PM)

I am barely computer literate. This system on this board confuses me. I typed the bar information in manually from the browser. For what ever reason I cant copy and paste, either cause I am to stupid or to lazy to figure this board out.... Probably a bit of both.

Your post intigued me. I had always believed the shoe story and so typed in Gettysburg the first day ( or day one) and found several sites. That one is kinda long but is, as I understand it is from General Longstreets memoirs.

I didnt save a source so had to redo the search, I found different stuff the first time, but the second search was much better. My ability to search is limited to basic search engines like yahoo or google, etc. And of course trying to figure out the word or words to use for the search.

I suspect we are of a similiar age, though cant be sure. So we probably both had actual history classes in grade and high school. But as we all know local State and communities decide what to teach and what to use to teach with, so no two are ever quite the same.

Anyway, sorry for the misunderstanding.

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 12:22:48 AM)

quote:

I am barely computer literate. This system on this board confuses me. I typed the bar information in manually from the browser. For what ever reason I cant copy and paste, either cause I am to stupid or to lazy to figure this board out.... Probably a bit of both.

Your post intigued me. I had always believed the shoe story and so typed in Gettysburg the first day ( or day one) and found several sites. That one is kinda long but is, as I understand it is from General Longstreets memoirs.

I didnt save a source so had to redo the search, I found different stuff the first time, but the second search was much better. My ability to search is limited to basic search engines like yahoo or google, etc. And of course trying to figure out the word or words to use for the search.

I suspect we are of a similiar age, though cant be sure. So we probably both had actual history classes in grade and high school. But as we all know local State and communities decide what to teach and what to use to teach with, so no two are ever quite the same.

Oh, no problem, I just went off the deep end a bit. Everyone at first is taught and believes the Gettysburg Shoe Story, although in reality I think Gettysburg actually was a bit of a shoe production place in those times. Thing is that from what I garnered through past readings is that CSA troops prior to Heth's division alreay went through Gettysburg and probably already swiped all the shoes in the area.

Yeah, you're right about Cashtown, and I went and did a quick look too at some info.

It took me some time to figure out how to use the Forum's boards here, and I sometimes forget because I don't do stuff with them, and had problems changing my avatar pic in 'My Profile' today. After you upload a pic you have to click the 'Apply' button in the lower part of the 'My Profile' screen in order to complete the upload process enabling the uploaded pic to be seen. The pic was made by someone else and is a unit panel icon for the old TalonSoft ACW games. I am going to put a few more up in the future, and there are both more USA and CSA Indians and Zouaves etc.

Chris

tevans6220 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 2:36:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Here's the modified data file; rename it to AcwUnits.txt and copy it over this file in the /Data directory (make a backup of that file first).

This file gives armies a move of 1, corps a move of 2, and divisions a move of 3.

If you'd like to play with the values, edit the file in a spreadsheet. The column MovesOnPhases gives the movement phases on which the unit can move in binary, so in the new file Army has an 8, so it moves on phase 3; Corps has a 12, so it moves on phases 2 and 3; Division has a 14, so it moves on phases 1,2,3.

Let us know how it works.

Eric: I tried your changes and they still seemed a little off. So I changed it to where all containers (Army, Corps, Division) moved one area per turn. Given the size that the areas on the map represent I think it works out better. It not only represents gaining control of the area but also the securing of supply lines and a logisitcal base before moving forward. It also seems to prevent and slow down ANV and AoP movements toward Kentucky as their moves are easily countered now. For me one area per turn seems to make the game a little more strategic in placing and forming my armies.

Twotribes -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 2:52:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

quote:

Oh, no problem, I just went off the deep end a bit. Everyone at first is taught and believes the Gettysburg Shoe Story, although in reality I think Gettysburg actually was a bit of a shoe production place in those times. Thing is that from what I garnered through past readings is that CSA troops prior to Heth's division alreay went through Gettysburg and probably already swiped all the shoes in the area.

Yeah, you're right about Cashtown, and I went and did a quick look too at some info.

It took me some time to figure out how to use the Forum's boards here, and I sometimes forget because I don't do stuff with them, and had problems changing my avatar pic in 'My Profile' today. After you upload a pic you have to click the 'Apply' button in the lower part of the 'My Profile' screen in order to complete the upload process enabling the uploaded pic to be seen. The pic was made by someone else and is a unit panel icon for the old TalonSoft ACW games. I am going to put a few more up in the future, and there are both more USA and CSA Indians and Zouaves etc.

Chris

Your right, the CSA had passed through the town earlier in the month of June. I read a small article on a State Militia unit that got beat up by the CSA, captured members were held in Gettysburg and given a stern talking to by one of the Confederate Commanders before being paroled with the advice to stay at home on the farm or risk getting hurt or killed.

Gil R. -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 3:07:46 AM)

This deserves more playtesting, but I'm starting to think that perhaps this might make for a good starting game option (i.e. "slower army movements"), since not everyone knows how to mod games.

tevans6220 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 10:41:11 AM)

Just to weigh in on the Gettysburg discussion. Lee did order a concentration of his forces at Gettysburg but never intended to fight there. The battle was a meeting engagement that got out of hand. All Lee and Meade could do at that point was keep feeding troops into the battle. Ewell's 2nd Corps was actually on the verge of attacking Harrisburg and had to double back due to Lee's concentration order. It is highly doubtful that Heth's men were on foraging mission for shoes as Ewell's men had been through Gettysburg several days prior to the battle and picked it clean of any useful supplies. Heth was ordered to scout the area due to reports of Union troops in the vicinity and ran smack into Buford's cavalry. Longstreet did not arrive until after the battle was joined and did not make his flanking comments until the second day when Lee ordered him to seize Little Round Top. Longstreet also pleaded with Lee for a flanking attack on the third day when he was ordered to take command of what came to be Pickett's charge.

How do I know all of this? I was there. [:D] 
Actually the Civil War and Gettysburg have been a lifelong study of mine.

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 1:04:20 PM)

quote:

Just to weigh in on the Gettysburg discussion. Lee did order a concentration of his forces at Gettysburg but never intended to fight there. The battle was a meeting engagement that got out of hand. All Lee and Meade could do at that point was keep feeding troops into the battle. Ewell's 2nd Corps was actually on the verge of attacking Harrisburg and had to double back due to Lee's concentration order. It is highly doubtful that Heth's men were on foraging mission for shoes as Ewell's men had been through Gettysburg several days prior to the battle and picked it clean of any useful supplies. Heth was ordered to scout the area due to reports of Union troops in the vicinity and ran smack into Buford's cavalry. Longstreet did not arrive until after the battle was joined and did not make his flanking comments until the second day when Lee ordered him to seize Little Round Top. Longstreet also pleaded with Lee for a flanking attack on the third day when he was ordered to take command of what came to be Pickett's charge.

How do I know all of this? I was there.
Actually the Civil War and Gettysburg have been a lifelong study of mine.

Yup.

Do you know Scott mingus at the JRIII Yahoo Group?? He lives not too far from gettysburg and you migh say the battle is also a lifelong study of his. That's the Johnny Reb III ACW Wargame Rules Yahoo Group. Sometimes ther are some decent discussions and good ACW info posted there.

As I recall, what you say of Ewell's Corps is 110% correct, and at Harrisburg a large numbr of PA Militia and other troops were concentrating to fight Ewell. Then Lee ordered the ANV to concentrate at Cashtown (as posted here by the other fellow) and then Gettysburg. I understood that the order to concentrate at Getyburg was givn before Heth ran into the USA cavalry, but the other fellow here says that the concentration at Gettysburg was ordered by Lee after heth made contact with the USA Cav.

The shoe story is a myth, and CSA troops had already passed through the Gettysburg area so any available shoes would have been confiscated by those troops before Heth arrived at Gettysburg. Somewhere, I have read that Gettysburg did produce a good number of shoes, and that perhaps 2,500 pair or so may have been available for the CSA troops to take, but they probably were taken before Heth's troops arrived.

Initial contact in the immediate Gettysburg was made betwee CSA Infantry and PA Militia, either on June 30th or very early on July 1st, but I believe it was on June 30th. the PA Militia, all one Regiment, was forced by the much more numerous and veteran CS infantry to withdraw of course.

Chris

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 1:10:40 PM)

quote:

Your right, the CSA had passed through the town earlier in the month of June. I read a small article on a State Militia unit that got beat up by the CSA, captured members were held in Gettysburg and given a stern talking to by one of the Confederate Commanders before being paroled with the advice to stay at home on the farm or risk getting hurt or killed.

Yup. I read that same story not long ago, but can't remember where. Maybe in Scott Mingus' JRIII (Johnny Reb III ACW Wargame rules) 'Charge!' magazine, but I am not sure. I think that occurred on june 30th, not sure, but the PA Militia Regiment did indeed skedaddle quickly and was lucky to get away. I can't remember if it was Heth's Division or some other of Ewell's or another command's troops that were engaged with the one single PA Militia regiment.

At Harrisburg, there were a large number of PA Militia and other troops concentrating to fight Ewell's Corps. There would have been a battle at Harrisburg it seems.

Chris

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 1:30:50 PM)

quote:

One thing about Longstreet's quick and brief suggestion to Lee of a flanking movement on the 1st Day is that that is basically SOP, and by the time Longstreet's troops came up and were in order to assault, it was already late on the 2nd Day, and to both Lee and Longstereet the USA flank on the 1st Day and the early part of the 2nd day was in the Wheatfield area. only after Longstreet saw that the Wheatfield area was held in strngth by USA forces on the 2nd Day did hemention to Lee about a FARTHER FLANKING MOVEMENT around and to the south of the Union troops in the Wheatfield area. Longstreet did not know the lay of the land on the Union left or south flank on the 1st DAay, so his mention to Lee of flanking the Union troops would have been in refernce to flanking them out of their positions they held on the 1st Day and not the 2nd Day. See what I mean??

Chris

Twotribes -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 6:21:54 PM)

Ya, I understand. Though the point on the 1st day was about their position on the heights at Cemetary Ridge. If they had gone to their left they would have little opposition, if they had gone to their right they would have run into Union forces arriving to reinforce.

Been a long while since I played a Gettysburg game, cant remember the terrain to the left of the Confederates on the first day, dont recall any roads there though, cant remember if the Union had more heights behind them on that flank .

It is moot anyway, as the frontal assault never occurred on the first day and the Confederates did deploy to their right. I have though learned something new, something I didnt know prior to this discussion.

Drex -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 7:56:33 PM)

Wasn't that Culp's hill on the Union right? The terrain was just as tough over there.

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 8:25:25 PM)

quote:

Ya, I understand. Though the point on the 1st day was about their position on the heights at Cemetary Ridge. If they had gone to their left they would have little opposition, if they had gone to their right they would have run into Union forces arriving to reinforce.

Been a long while since I played a Gettysburg game, cant remember the terrain to the left of the Confederates on the first day, dont recall any roads there though, cant remember if the Union had more heights behind them on that flank .

It is moot anyway, as the frontal assault never occurred on the first day and the Confederates did deploy to their right. I have though learned something new, something I didnt know prior to this discussion.

Yeah, and longstreet and his troops weren't there on the 1st Day to extend to the south or Union left, and as more Union troops came up they extended the Union flank more and more to the south so that when Longstreet's troops did deploy on the 2nd Day he had to ask Lee again to flank even farther to the south or Confed. left against the extneded Unin line and its new more southerly flank, which new Union south flank wasn't in the same location as the Union south flank on the first day. Whew, what a mouth full.

The only road available to the Confeds. was the north-south running Emmitsburg Road and it led right down the valley betwee Seminary and Cemetery Ridges, so the Confeds. had to travel through the fields and woods behind Seminary Ridge so they wouldn't be exposed to Union Arty., and that route took more time and delayed their deployment even more on the 2nd Day which allowed more Union troops to be deployed in the area. Actually longstreet did flank the Union left or south on the 2nd Day at little round Top, however, the outnumbered 20th Maine Regt. stopped the Alabamians from successfully flanking the Union left or south flank there.

There was high ground of tactical importance located directly in the Union rear I do believe, and the north-south running Taneytown Road followed this high ground, which high ground paralleled Cemetry Ridge and was of a similar height but seperated from Cemetery Ridge by a sharp little north-south running valley that paralled both Cemetery Ridge and the Taneytown Road. This info. is derived from the maps in the West Point Atlas.

Chris

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 8:30:43 PM)

quote:

Wasn't that Culp's hill on the Union right? The terrain was just as tough over there.

Yes, Culp's Hill and the slope and smaller hill down to Spangler's Spring and Rock Creek to the southeast of Culp's Hill, and farther to the east the Wolf Hill area that was occupied by Ruger's division of the XII Corps around 6:00PM of the 1st Day.

Chris

RB -> Container Movement Rates (4/8/2007 10:06:35 PM)

Would this be a simpler solution. Containers would move based upon logistic ratings of commanders and amount of supplies hauling and all boiled down to the amount of soldiers and staff in a container. That is perhaps more accruate. Armies tended to move by corps (they imitated Napoleon). If instructing an army container to move somewhere each corps would move at its own pace, some slow, some fast. Actually when I first started playing this game that is how my armies moved, a corps at a time. Is it the move setting that I'm missing. Anyway I solved this problem somehow and now my army moves intact all corps included which is unrealistic but great if you want to invade a territory intact.

MadMike -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/9/2007 5:58:57 AM)

Gil, as I understand it, force-marching only increases the chance that the container unit will succeed in the ordered movement, I don't believe that it increases the distance the unit is capable of moving.

Chris, this mod uses the 1-2-3 system, the standard game is all 3's.

I'm having a good time with it so far, although the AI still tends to stack up in big slow units, the pbem I'm playing with f15eagle will be very interesting.

christof139 -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/9/2007 12:50:46 PM)

quote:

Chris, this mod uses the 1-2-3 system, the standard game is all 3's.

You mean patch v1.94, correct?? I have noticed changes in strategic movement with that patch.

Chris

ericbabe -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/9/2007 4:22:50 PM)

c.f. FOF manual, page 102

quote:

Force March and Logistical Staff – A military group with at least a “Fair” rating for its Logistical
Staff also increases its movement rate by +1 while under Force March, though this bonus is not
cumulative with the +1 movement bonus that a unit receives when starting in a River province,
nor with the +1 movement bonus that a military group with a “Superb” rating automatically
receives.

Gil R. -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/9/2007 7:41:12 PM)

What Eric said. Glad to know I wasn't imagining things.

MadMike -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/10/2007 6:24:16 AM)

Well then, I'm a total FoF movement imbecile, but eric has applied the cure to my condition.

Thank you sir, may I have another? [&o]

Gil R. -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/10/2007 6:35:36 AM)

For those who didn't immediately turn to the manual, I feel I should remind you that if a force that has just been through a forced march fights a battle that turn it starts off with a significant penalty.

ericbabe -> RE: Container Movement Rates (4/10/2007 3:11:29 PM)

And brigades that undergo forced march suffer double the normal level of march attrition.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI