RE: Enhanced DV Artillery OOB Issues (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

vahauser -> RE: Enhanced DV Artillery OOB Issues (5/18/2007 4:11:41 AM)

I have played on my share of 240x100 maps. 

I agree with FlashFyre that 90% of the off-board artillery issues are not problematic.  And 90% correctness seems to be okay with most people.  Oh well.  But a lot of artillery is used on board. 

Many players (myself among them) do not buy off-board artillery due to the command/control difficulties associated with off-board artillery.  And range really does matter on a 240x100 map when using on-board artillery.

Of course, if you never play on 240x100 maps, then the 90% correctness will be okay with most people most of the time.  I guess.

But it bothers me that so much time and effort goes into making the rest of the game as close to 100% correct as possible while artillery is discriminated against.  Shouldn't the goal be to make the game as close to 100% as possible in all aspects?

When I spoke of artillery being the most important weapons group I meant historically that artillery caused proportionally more casualties than any other weapons group.  Anybody who knows me knows that I favor armored/mechanized combat in my SPWAW games and that I believe that the original intent and purpose of Steel Panthers was to highlight and focus on armored combat (and that the original intent and purpose of Steel Panthers was hijacked and taken someplace else over the years).  Anybody who knows me knows that. 

However, since today's SPWAW is in a far different place than the original Steel Panthers, then artillery has become increasingly more important in SPWAW (for better or worse).  That said, artillery is far more important today in SPWAW Enhanced DVRN than it was 12 years ago in 1995 when Steel Panthers was first released.

I realize that the artillery is so messed up that it will take a major effort to put things right.  And I understand why that was not a priority with the OOB correction patch.  So I am not upset about that.  No, the folks who gave us the OOB patch have my gratitude.  It's a shame to me, though, that the SPWAW community will have to soldier on with a broken Encyclopedia and broken artillery for the indefinite future. 

But since this is a dead horse, I will beat it no further and will post nothing more in this thread.

FlashfyreSP -> RE: Enhanced DV Artillery OOB Issues (5/18/2007 4:29:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

I have played on my share of 240x100 maps.

I agree with FlashFyre that 90% of the off-board artillery issues are not problematic. And 90% correctness seems to be okay with most people. Oh well. But a lot of artillery is used on board.

Many players (myself among them) do not buy off-board artillery due to the command/control difficulties associated with off-board artillery. And range really does matter on a 240x100 map when using on-board artillery.

And onboard artillery will NEVER use it's full range potential, due to Visibility limitations and the fact that, short of playing on a "blank" map, there will ALWAYS be terrain features in the way. So whether the ranges are correct or not is a moot point in this case, as there will be NO counterbattery fire from onboard units.

quote:

Of course, if you never play on 240x100 maps, then the 90% correctness will be okay with most people most of the time. I guess.

But it bothers me that so much time and effort goes into making the rest of the game as close to 100% correct as possible while artillery is discriminated against. Shouldn't the goal be to make the game as close to 100% as possible in all aspects?

Yes, the goal IS to make things as close to 100% as possible within the game's programming limitations. And one of those limitations is the arcane Range coding system which doesn't allow for accurate artillery range depictions.

quote:

When I spoke of artillery being the most important weapons group I meant historically that artillery caused proportionally more casualties than any other weapons group. Anybody who knows me knows that I favor armored/mechanized combat in my SPWAW games and that I believe that the original intent and purpose of Steel Panthers was to highlight and focus on armored combat (and that the original intent and purpose of Steel Panthers was hijacked and taken someplace else over the years). Anybody who knows me knows that.

However, since today's SPWAW is in a far different place than the original Steel Panthers, then artillery has become increasingly more important in SPWAW (for better or worse). That said, artillery is far more important today in SPWAW Enhanced DVRN than it was 12 years ago in 1995 when Steel Panthers was first released.

I realize that the artillery is so messed up that it will take a major effort to put things right. And I understand why that was not a priority with the OOB correction patch. So I am not upset about that. No, the folks who gave us the OOB patch have my gratitude. It's a shame to me, though, that the SPWAW community will have to soldier on with a broken Encyclopedia and broken artillery for the indefinite future.

But since this is a dead horse, I will beat it no further and will post nothing more in this thread.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI