RE: First steps (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Arminius -> RE: First steps (4/19/2007 7:37:14 PM)

year found out. Was a stupid question. Of course it´s in the same box, where you buy Corps, Divisions, ships usw. usw. Sometimes you´re not be able to see the forest for all the trees. Next questions coming soon. Stay tuned. [:)]

anarchyintheuk -> RE: First steps (4/19/2007 11:24:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
quote:

ORIGINAL: Arminius

Army of the Potomac
Army of Kentucky
Army of Illinois
Army of Cumberland (where was it`s area of operations?)
Army of the Tennessee
Any more? Is this 4th Army in the game a historic one? Don`t think so.

Hm, Army of the Ohio is another, I think there was also an Army of the West, there were some that were the same army but went through several name changes. I think that 4th Army name is probably a scenario issue. Which one is that in?

Army of the James is another. Forgot the Army of Virginia and Army of Northeastern Virginia.

ChuckK -> RE: First steps (4/20/2007 5:14:51 AM)

I had fun tonight storming the Confederate forts in western Tennessee and then taking Nashville to win the state.  Nice to see the before and after effects that my newly minted artillery, gunboats, and siege artillery made through the course of the campaign.

Just scratching the surface here, but I'm in armchair general heaven!

Best, -Chuck

Arminius -> RE: First steps (4/20/2007 6:07:52 PM)

Hi, after playing until summer of `63, I read about the Brigade attributes. (year very late)
But I can´t find the way how to buy a ballon for example. I thought under 1.6 Unit Information and detailed Controls, I would find the information, but no. Help!

I also read, when you buy two Cav or Art attributes the brigade is changing to one of those formations, with a new quality of just 50%. Is it still a good idea to to this? I just have about 4 Cav Brigades and only to Arty Brigades in my whole Army.

When I buy a new Inf Brig, they appear with the Improvised Weapons. Can I do something that they already are produced with a weapon I attach?

Last but not least.  I have organised my Armys in the West, containing 2 Corps, each with 3 Divisions. It was no problem to attach the Corps numbered I to VI.
Now I`m trying since several rounds to attach Corps VII and VIII to Meade AoP Left and Butler AoP Center.
Both have just 3 Divisions, but soon I want to give them more. Well I attached 18. and 19. Division already to Meade because he conquered that Province unterneath Parkersburg and Grafton. (hm what was it`s name?)
I was trying in Maryland and also in enemy provinces like Fredericksburg. (it´s mine now) Always it looked like it was workung, but then again I see them back in Harrisburg. What´s the problem?

Walloc -> RE: First steps (4/20/2007 6:57:07 PM)

quote:

Hi, after playing until summer of `63, I read about the Brigade attributes. (year very late)
But I can´t find the way how to buy a ballon for example. I thought under 1.6 Unit Information and detailed Controls, I would find the information, but no. Help!

U need to research ballons first before u can buy themt as an attribute.

quote:

I also read, when you buy two Cav or Art attributes the brigade is changing to one of those formations, with a new quality of just 50%. Is it still a good idea to to this? I just have about 4 Cav Brigades and only to Arty Brigades in my whole Army.

Well, the north starts with no art and no cav. Its certainly a good thing to get some fast.
Problem is they costs money just about every thing else. So if u go buy some other things u will lack money for. Again up to ur style of play.
As to advice. Depence on what scn u play IMO. If u play southern steel u should have money enough to be able to buy some fairly fast. So i wouldnt make cav and art by buying 2 attributes losing quality.
If u play the balanced scn's its a different story. Ur money supply is much more limited I'd say in this case it has some merit too it. If u do upgrade inf to cav art this way. Because of the lost quality these new brigades arent worth much. Dont expect them to do much in battles until they gain experience. So i'd in those cases, mainly convert inf to art / cav in armies that i know gona get alot of combat so they will gain experience fast and become worth some thing. Notice that art can surrender by just having a enemy unit next to it if routing. So until they gain quality use the converted brigades at a far. Having so low ql after a conversion they prone to route fast. Be sure they do fire tho, else they wont gain experince in combat.
Thats the advice i can give. I cant say i do this much my self. I tend to capture enemy art when playing US so its not a major concern for me.

quote:

When I buy a new Inf Brig, they appear with the Improvised Weapons. Can I do something that they already are produced with a weapon I attach?

No, u have to buy them new weapons as they are produced. Certainly a thing i would do. High quality brigades with high quality weapons are very good.

quote:

Last but not least.  I have organised my Armys in the West, containing 2 Corps, each with 3 Divisions. It was no problem to attach the Corps numbered I to VI.
Now I`m trying since several rounds to attach Corps VII and VIII to Meade AoP Left and Butler AoP Center.
Both have just 3 Divisions, but soon I want to give them more. Well I attached 18. and 19. Division already to Meade because he conquered that Province unterneath Parkersburg and Grafton. (hm what was it`s name?)
I was trying in Maryland and also in enemy provinces like Fredericksburg. (it´s mine now) Always it looked like it was workung, but then again I see them back in Harrisburg. What´s the problem?

Im not sure i understand 100%. So might answer might be wrong. But do u have 2 corps with 3 divisions in each army = if each division is 5 brigades = 30 units. Max is 35 units for an army. So u can only attach 1 more division with 5 brigades not more corps with 3 division of 5 brigades. That would make 45 units in army and max is 35 units.

As far as units not moving to attack some times units fail their movements check. U can check this by looking in the top container that was trying to move. If will say some thing like 'Failed check to move to Arkansas River (25%)' In ur case it isnt arkansas river naturally but name of an other province.

hope it helps,

Rasmus

Erik Rutins -> RE: First steps (4/20/2007 7:48:56 PM)

quote:

Just my $.02, but YES, it's worth it to do this early on to make sure you get some Arty and Cav for your armies. They'll start out fairly bad but will gain experience quickly and it's a more economical way to go than building them new with the early budget crunch.

Thanks Rasmus for your answers to the rest.

Regards,

- Erik

cesteman -> RE: First steps (4/21/2007 1:23:50 AM)

This might be off topic, but does anyone know the names of all the Legend units for both the CSA and USA? Thanks
Christian

Walloc -> RE: First steps (4/21/2007 3:57:58 AM)

They are all listed in the file AcwSpecUnits.text in the data folder of FoF

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Arminius -> RE: First steps (4/22/2007 3:14:53 AM)

Had my second major battle in the Province of Fredericksburg.  Suffered almost 33k. South more than 29k. I won.
Then the game informed me that the  empty container "Army of the Potomac Center is removed. Yes I did some reorganisation, but I did not took all the units out of that Container. I don`t know what happend. Now I have to produce another Army container and send it to Fredericksburg.

Another thing I don´t like, is the "Joint to box". This should be better organised. You always have to search through all the citys and so on, just to find the unit where you want to attach a General, or a brigade.   

Arminius -> RE: First steps (4/22/2007 2:20:15 PM)

Another thing, after the successfull siege of one of those 4 forts near Memphis, the Army of Kentucky marched back to Illinois without any order. Why? Is it a matter of a lack of supply? I just gave them low priority. Now I have to bring them back to finish up those forts before I can attack Memphis. This is a delay of at least 4 weeks.

I split the Army of Missouri in it´s Divisions, left the Corps each with a Division and sent them on Missions to conquer Arkansas Provinces and then Louisana and Texas. (all this after the fall of Little Rock) What was working with the Arkansas Provinces very fast is not working in Texas. Even so there are Divisions in some of the Texas Provinces, no unrest is set up. Why?  So I started to pull back the Divisions to recreate the whole Army of Missouri, to start siege against Austin.

Walloc -> RE: First steps (4/22/2007 3:10:40 PM)

quote:

Had my second major battle in the Province of Fredericksburg.  Suffered almost 33k. South more than 29k. I won.
Then the game informed me that the  empty container "Army of the Potomac Center is removed. Yes I did some reorganisation, but I did not took all the units out of that Container. I don`t know what happend. Now I have to produce another Army container and send it to Fredericksburg.

Reorganizing in an enemy province is a risky business. So many cases of ur movements that the reorganization is composed of that can go wrong.
Lets say u move a corps out of a army but move a division of that corps directly in attachments of that army. If corps is moved first its not sure the division will ever make to the army tho it might seem so. Leaving the army unit less and subsiquently destroyed. Another is that there is only 2 movement phases.
Lets say u move the said corps to a new army. Then moves a division from that corps into the 2nd army container and then on to the old army. Thats 3 moves. more than u have so again teh army tho it seems during the reorganization that it will end with units it in fact doesnt. U can in essence make endless of these moves there are still only 2 movement phases to do the actual move.
I could describe more of these cases, but im to lazy for that and wana get to usefull points.

In essence dont reorganize in enemy provinces.

If really have too. Make the the moves over several turns. Make sure that in reorganization u never at any point leave a container with out troops. Even if u move new.
Example. Army A and B is in same enemy province. Army A have 2 corps with troops in them, Corps 1 and 2. Army B have have 2 corps with troops in them, corps 3 and 4.
turn 1 Move corps 1 from Army A to Army B. Move corps 3 from Army B to army A.
Turn 2. Move corps 2 from Army A to Army B. Move corps 4 from Army B to army A.
This way there is never a time in the process that an army is with out any original units.
Its more hassle but its an safe way.

quote:

Another thing I don´t like, is the "Joint to box". This should be better organised. You always have to search through all the citys and so on, just to find the unit where you want to attach a General, or a brigade.          

Might wana add that in a post in the wishlist thread.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

Walloc -> RE: First steps (4/22/2007 3:18:59 PM)

quote:

Another thing, after the successfull siege of one of those 4 forts near Memphis, the Army of Kentucky marched back to Illinois without any order. Why? Is it a matter of a lack of supply? I just gave them low priority. Now I have to bring them back to finish up those forts before I can attack Memphis. This is a delay of at least 4 weeks.

No, there are only 2 ways an army moves. Either u ordered it or it lost a battle. Atleased that im aware of.
Since u say neither is that is the case. It could be a bug, i've never seen any that does that btw or that 1 of the 2 cases most be true. Inadvertedly moved the army or the battle some how was lost. Sorry i cant help more but could u possibly save turn before this happens so if it indeed is a bug Eric can look it over?

quote:

I split the Army of Missouri in it´s Divisions, left the Corps each with a Division and sent them on Missions to conquer Arkansas Provinces and then Louisana and Texas. (all this after the fall of Little Rock) What was working with the Arkansas Provinces very fast is not working in Texas. Even so there are Divisions in some of the Texas Provinces, no unrest is set up. Why?  So I started to pull back the Divisions to recreate the whole Army of Missouri, to start siege against Austin.

Did u Conquere the provinces in Texas?
if so unrest is random, some times it occures others not.
In cases u didnt conquere the Texas provinces, which would happen if u didnt own any adjecting provinces, moving into an enemy provinces doesnt in it self create unrest.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

Arminius -> RE: First steps (4/25/2007 11:03:14 PM)

@Rasmus: Hallo, after all I started a new campaign. No problem because I made a few mistakes. (like building a factory in a city that is better for producing money and so. Now I always take a good look before I build something. Like just building research buildings in Citys with a University.

Remember the empty Army container that was removed. I`m not sure if this is the explanation. But maybe I forgot to set their supply from "no support" to a higher lever, when I started the spring campaign in Kenawa (never can remember the name of that province.) Same thing happened to me in this game. When I look over my brigades, many of them have a zero on strength. Like I said I don´t know if this is the problem. Maybe in the last game, I took all my corps into one of the other Potomac Armys by accident. I don`t know. Well for this game I pulled back to Parkersburg and set the Armys of Potmac Left and Center on " High priority"

Another thing, I organised my Divisions each with four Inf. Brig. and one Arty or Siege. Now since Siege Art. is not fighting in a battle, I think about to attach them to the Corps ( so it´s Corps Arty ) As long as I have two Corps in an Army I can attach 3 Siege Guns/Mortars to a Corps, cause that makes 8.  Am I right? Or would I break some rule?

By the way. Yesterday my physical copy of the game was delivered. The backside of the box ist broken. Maybe something heavy fell on it or so. The envelope is o.k.!!! So I thing this thing was packed without giving a s..t that it was damaged. I thing the CD`s only where saved because of the manual.
Made of real paper. Can you believe. I hate reading manuals on the computer, but I love reading in bed. So because there´s a little lack of comfort, reading in bed with a monitor on your belly, I´m very happy.

Jam_USMC -> RE: First steps (5/25/2007 7:12:27 AM)

Hello all,

Just made a lateral move from WITP. So many games, so little time! Anyway, I have a response and a question that I think are both suitable for this thread. First, the response.
quote:

This happened to me twice with a new division raised in Springfield. I tried for three turns to get it to stay in Missouri, but it would always march back to the Illinois captiol at the end of each turn. Finally, I inserted Gen. Sherman and the problem was solved-- he cussed them all the way to Arkansas. [:)]

Now, if anyone could help me with this one. I mustered a brigade in Connecticut but it will not leave the state. Not sure if they're homesick or skeered or what, but they won't leave home. Any ideas why?

Playing the standard scenario with the beta patch. Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Gray_Lensman -> RE: First steps (5/25/2007 8:20:01 AM)

Units should not move on their own unless you have inadvertently set an auto-join with those units. Check out the inspect orders button and see if that is the case. If it isn't the case, there is a bug, and should be reported in the "bugs" forum.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI