Installation Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support

KrangSnag0 -> Installation Question (4/16/2007 6:19:04 AM)

I hope someone can help me out.

I purchased CCCOI and I can't wait to start playing but when I try installing it, I get an error message that says that "The following file is in use and cannot be updated" and then mentions a number of files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM such as oleant32.dll.
I don't even know what these files are! As far as I can see, I have nothing in use when I am installing.
Do you know how I can avoid this and continue with the installation?

I have Windows 98, BTW.

GS_Schimpf -> RE: Installation Question (4/18/2007 10:45:20 PM)

Anyone out there who can confirm or invalidate that CoI runs on Win98?
Please help!

Andrew Williams -> RE: Installation Question (4/25/2007 8:06:02 AM)

I run CoI on win98se

The install should continue if you click through

Sergeant -> RE: Installation Question (4/25/2007 10:31:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KrangSnag0

I hope someone can help me out.

I purchased CCCOI and I can't wait to start playing but when I try installing it, I get an error message that says that "The following file is in use and cannot be updated" and then mentions a number of files in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM such as oleant32.dll.
I don't even know what these files are! As far as I can see, I have nothing in use when I am installing.
Do you know how I can avoid this and continue with the installation?

I have Windows 98, BTW.

I advise caution.... That's the same thing that happened to me and I ended up with a trashed hard drive. I think that file exists in the Windows System area. But during installation of teh game - the stupid game deletes it (best I can tell). Then if you are unable to recover - NOTHING will work on the system after that without that system file. It works better than a blooming virus! [:-]
Schrecken advises to click through and keep going. I think he's right. I installed the game on my new computer successfully. But whatever you do... DON'T abort the install in Win98se or You'll never be able to use your machine again. I know Schrecken doesn't belive me when I say this... but it happened and my system was in top knoch condition. Oh well, guess it was time for a computer upgrade anyway. [X(]

Andrew Williams -> RE: Installation Question (4/25/2007 10:56:44 AM)

The error seems to be caused by an out of date oleaut32.dll file

It seems other programs installation routines also install oleaut32.dll.... they may be an older incompatible version.

oleaut32.dll info

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?oleaut32

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/win-9x-me-support/70497-oleaut32-dll-error.html

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Cannot_Start_OLEAUT32DLL_in_Windows_98-t45672.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/217440

KrangSnag0 -> RE: Installation Question (5/2/2007 3:27:55 PM)

Thank you for your posts, especially Sergeant's. I wish you had seen my post and had been able to reply a week earlier. I would have avoided the catastrophe that occurred as you had predicted.

The installation basically fried my computer and now I have to buy a new PC.

I'm very disappointed with Matrix's much-vaunted support services, which did not deign to reply to my pleas both here and in an e-mail.

Before I purchased COI, I specifically made certain that it was compatible with Windows 98. This I was assured of in their literature. Had the company warned customers that COI would play havoc with my poor old Windows 98 PC, I would have taken the steps to upgrade.

My first contact with Matrix has been very disillusioning.

Amazingly enough, I am still looking forward to playing COI. But I am not very pleased with the steps I now have to take to do it. :(

GS_Schimpf -> RE: Installation Question (5/2/2007 6:08:47 PM)

I hope that a simple reinstall of your machine will fix it. I would be surprised if a software problem could really fry a pc to a state that makes it impossible to reinstall the OS.

KrangSnag0 -> RE: Installation Question (5/2/2007 7:38:47 PM)

Unfortunately not, due to a series of unfortunate events. I had just used my Norton Go Back for an unrelated matter, so my PC had nowhere to go back to once my COI insallation went awry.

For the moment, I am bereft of PC save for my work computer.

KrangSnag0 -> RE: Installation Question (7/17/2007 7:45:05 PM)

FYI: My PC and COI are both up and running now, and have been for about a month or so. Thanks to all who tried to help me out!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI