New Projects (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

gregbcs@yahoo.com -> New Projects (4/23/2007 12:11:06 AM)

I am sure this subject has been talked about..... but i couldn't find it

How does Matrix pick projects?

And once the project is picked, how do you do to make it your program?

Do you basically look at a old game study the rule book and then rewrite in your code or can you use the original code?

Do you have a basic game engine that you can build upon for each new game? Or is each project require new coding each time.

just curious
thanks

Hertston -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 12:29:14 AM)

Matrix are primarily (but not exclusively) publishers rather than developers. You'll therefore find a variety of 'stables' here from different developers such as Panther and SSG as well as single games from others, and they all do their own thing. Each developer's games may share the same engines such as in the 'Airborne Assault' and 'Decisive Battles of WW2' series, although each game improves on the one before it. Others, like SSG's Battlefront are variations on an existing engine.

As well as new games, Matrix also sell some old classics, although these are updated to ensure compatability with Windows XP and now Vista (check in the case of the latter) and are usually improved to varying degrees. The original developers, or their 'successors', are on-board to some degree or other. Examples include Close Combat 3 (updated to 'Cross of Iron'), The Operational Art of War 3 and upcoming re-releases of some old Talonsoft games.

Erik Rutins -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 12:56:42 AM)

Yeah, it's probably about 35/65 as far as games we developed "in house" or through developers working directly for us and games we released that were developed by an independent studio (though generally with help from us, sometimes in funding, usually in art/sound/documentation/etc.). With that said...

There's no simple answer to your question, unfortunately. Just about every one of your questions is best answered with "it depends", "yes, but not in all cases", etc. Sorry to be vague but it would really take more time than I have right now to go into more detail.

Regards,

- Erik

ravinhood -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 2:37:44 AM)

Yes Matrixgames uses DEPENDS hahahah baw haw haw....I kill myself sometimes. ;)

Terminus -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 2:57:59 AM)

Please do...[8|]

pasternakski -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 3:13:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood
I kill myself sometimes. ;)

If you need any help, I'm available - for a bargain bin price, in your case...

gregbcs@yahoo.com -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 4:51:13 AM)

Hmm...
So do you have the ability to make a good game into a great game?

For example X-Com.... a solid good game. The AI was poor and I don't think there was a multiplayer option

Were you able to improve X-com? or just make it XP plus ready?

Also how do you bring a game back from the dead..... it must be imposable to find the original programmers on the project....

just curious

FOF was your release correct?

JudgeDredd -> RE: New Projects (4/23/2007 10:16:57 AM)

Bargain bin? I'm up for free - how cheap is that!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI