RE: CLGA volume 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809

Skeleton -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (1/24/2008 3:38:04 AM)

Frank,

Please make your map not only hexes but maybe a fleshed out version of the GoA game, where terrain plays a key role. I also think the manner in which combat is handled and resolved in GoA is excellent and would make CLGA 2 a must buy. CLGA, though a very good game, "looks" naked. That is to say, the map just appears barren to me.

jim pfleck -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (1/31/2008 6:45:55 PM)

I am very excited about the possibility of another game in the series ( I have the 1805/1809 game).  looking forward to seeing it!

Adraeth -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (2/20/2008 11:54:18 AM)

I love the concept of the 1st game (i bought it just some days ago) so i am waiting for the 2nd title.

Regarding suggestions, it would be really nice to use the orders' system even in pithced battle when the Army HQ (so the player) is involved:

so giving orders to corps or divisions how to perform or deploy and then just watching the outcome of the battle with a sort of "replay" or a wego action with turns covering an hour of battle. A simple way to get the thrilling of misgiven orders or incompetent corps commanders or exceptional corps commander (for example in Aurestadt ^ ^).

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/5/2008 9:49:17 PM)

Alan, my Civil War game is 13 years old and really needs to be redone. Its on my agenda and I have a long list of changes to be made, the biggie being the scale is closer to CLGA than to the original (5 miles per hex).

Marcus, a Goa-ish combat system for CLGA? Not sure what you mean.

So far everything system-wise is done except the AI needs more work and I have only three campaigns working.

*Lava* -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/7/2008 6:30:36 PM)

Hi Frank...

What intriguing posts... some comments:

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

So as you can see, I could still allow the player to resolve a battle offline but it would now be only a round before results would have to be entered back into the game. Hard to let the player resolve the entire battle offline without the game running as the game wouldn't know yet if any reinforcements entered the battle etc.

I'll have to give this some thought. Any ideas?

Actually... this is exactly what a miniatures player would want when playing a campaign. Having the "initial contact" followed by reinforcements entering onto the battlefield would be a absolutely super way to fight it on the table top.

Not sure how to do it... but I think mini's folks would go wild if you could somehow accommodate them.

Seeing as how this is a Army type game, have you considered contacting any of the folks who have made similar scale miniatures rules?

Sam mustafa comes immediately to mind for me, as I am now working on a Napoleonic minis project and plan to use his Grande Armée rules. He has also published a "free" set of Fast Play Grande Armée rules that are available HERE. And I believe he can be contacted HERE.

Sure would be nice if the two of you could get together and maybe he could publish a companion set of miniatures rules especially for CLGA-2. That's a "win-win" situation for everybody involved.

quote:

Just as an aside, for the graphics would you guys prefer a game map like the Danube game or a map that looks more like a regular map?

To be quite honest I really liked the map style from AEGOD's ACW. I think a "period" type map would really help in the immersion side of the game, especially with the artistic frames they used in those days. Here's a couple maps which, though not the greatest examples, kinda illustrate what I mean:

Map 1

Map 2

I found AEGOD's maps easy on the eyes and the units stand out more prominently.

BTW... do you have any idea when the game might possibly be announced and a new forum made?

Anyway... wish you all the best on your new game and will keep my eye out as things develop.

A devoted fan...

Ray (alias Lava)

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/8/2008 2:55:11 AM)

Ray,

What I ended up doing for battles was the following : Units come into contact with each other, if heavily outnumbered one side will fall back. If both sides remain a "skirmish" action will be fought immediately. This can happen more than once per day in a hex.

If both sides decide to remain then those major battles are resolved at the end of the day using the new battle system (similar to the old one but you don't pick plans, you instead decide when to commit divisions over a series of battle rounds).

Using this method you won't see 50,000 troops in a major battle against 10,000 troops and that sort of thing.

Plus it means I can still support off-computer resolution of battles.

As for Sam's Grande Armee, I have read through the Fast Play version, very interesting rules.

I tried to upload some samples of the map look I would like myself but apparently even 200k gets rejected as being too big.

As for a new forum, I don't think that's necessary until I'm ready to start testing.

*Lava* -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/8/2008 4:23:16 AM)

Hi Frank,

Sounds kewl,

Why don't you just take a screen shot of the map and post it is a .jpg. Should be small enough to load up. Don't need to see the whole thing to get the general jist of things.

Ray (alias Lava)

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/9/2008 9:51:42 PM)

Okay, see if this works. This is not a screenshot, its just a sample pic.

[image]local://upfiles/11477/760AB3C9350644B98B49F177FDD9987F.jpg[/image]

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/10/2008 12:34:34 AM)

And a second sample pic

[image]local://upfiles/11477/F49F2EC67E914D49820A3372483CA3EA.jpg[/image]

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/10/2008 12:35:26 AM)

One thing that would be quite different is that on a real map things like rivers would conform to the hex grid.

*Lava* -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/10/2008 4:58:30 AM)

Nice!

Looks good.

Now I understand what you mean by feeding divisions into the battle.

For big battles the stacking must get pretty crazy... unless, of course, a battle can be fought over more than one hex...

For Grande Armée you would have to modify the basing scheme... I think... if I understand what you are doing.

Ray (alias Lava)

tolstoy1812 -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/15/2008 8:51:58 AM)

I just want to say, I bought 1805-1809 two days ago and I love the system. I am a miniatures player, and as soon as I can master the elements of supply, I'm going to try a campaign with battles fought with miniatures. A fantastic system, a great stand-alone game, too. It looks like the next game in the series will be just as good or better.

FrankHunter -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/17/2008 10:07:07 PM)

Thanks tolstoy, I'm sure CLGA II will be better, at least I am trying to make that so, at any rate it will certainly be bigger.

Ray,

quote:

Now I understand what you mean by feeding divisions into the battle.

Yup, that was one change I wanted to make. Another area I worked on was cavalry screens and pursuits.

quote:

For big battles the stacking must get pretty crazy... unless, of course, a battle can be fought over more than one hex...

Nope, its one hex, and yes stacking can get pretty deep although after the battle it sorts out very quickly.

*Lava* -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/18/2008 1:36:25 PM)

quote:

Nope, its one hex, and yes stacking can get pretty deep although after the battle it sorts out very quickly.

Not that it's "doable" from a programming point of view (especially from an AI point of view - this is territory beyond me), but the map kinda gives the impression that a multi-hex (2 to 4) battle is a fairly high probability and possibly highly desirable. It may even be far more attractive, from a strategic point of view, forcing more maneuver, allowing corps to converge on flanks... that kinda thing.

A single hex battle may be overloading the hex in respect to numbers of forces... dunno. Guess it depends on how the battle plays out...

Ray (alias Lava)

*Lava* -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/18/2008 2:32:11 PM)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/lavaslair/Cod2.jpg[/img]

This is kinda what I mean... the red stars being potential battlefields with each side able to possibly outflank the other.

One would have to limit the number of units (strength points) deployable per hex.

Also would setup a very kewl mini's battle, as forces converge on each other and reinforcements are brought onto the tabletop based on deployment and march rates.

The mini's player would have to stop the game at some point just before contact (or perhaps it auto stops based on first contact)... such as like I have shown above. The computer would then provide a timeline when forces and units would come into contact based on orders (for the next 4-8 hours)...

0600 - Devout - I Div - hex 220
0600 - Kolowrat - I Div - hex 220
0600 - Kolowrat - II Div - hex 220
0620 - Devout - II Div - hex 220
0625 - Kolowrat - III Div - hex 220
0630 - Devout - I Div - hex 220

Like that.. but showing all forces within the operational area that come into contact for the battle.

The player would fight the battle and then enter losses and retreat direction/hex if appropriate.

In the battle above, I attack Kolowrat's III corps with Devout's III Corps and flank from the south with II Corps while Devout's I corps fights a holding action against Kolowrat's I and II corps. Thus, seeing battles occur in the first three red stars from top to bottom.

Kinda complicated, huh?

Ray (alias Lava)

AP514 -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (5/5/2008 6:12:41 PM)

Any update  ???   Nothing sense March...

AP514

1NWCG -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (5/6/2008 6:59:14 AM)

Looking good...[:)]

ETF -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (7/7/2008 9:47:16 PM)

Frank I too love the game looking forward to the 2nd version. I like the idea of being able to export and play the tactical battles with another medium whether minatures or even the upcoming HistWar 3d computer tactical program. Have you started testing as of yet? When in 2009 (I'm assuming) do you expect a release?

Arthur Wellesley -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (3/25/2009 8:22:04 AM)

Hello everybody,  it's a little bit quiet here. [>:] What about the status of CLGA 2? Are there any new infos?

tolstoy1812 -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (5/6/2009 2:48:06 AM)

Please, leave it in. That's the major reason for a lot of fans of the game to play. It generates miniatures games.

tolstoy1812 -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (5/6/2009 2:48:56 AM)

Sorry, i mean leave the miniatures system in.

RCHarmon -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (8/10/2012 5:49:21 PM)

I see that another game was in the works. It must be sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Does anyone still play Campaigns of La Grande Armee 1806? I haven't fired it up in a long time and was wondering what I need to do to get it working again?

Agathosdaimon -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (6/2/2013 10:34:51 AM)

this would be great if another volume could done

zgrant -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (6/6/2013 5:22:57 AM)

Agathosdaimon,

I agree. Maybe after Frank finishes Piercing Fortress Europa we can convince him to to work on a 1812 game, or the 1813-1814 time period. Sound like a plan? [:)]

Agathosdaimon -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (6/25/2013 11:35:34 AM)

sounds like a great plan! in fact he should also make available again the 1806 La Grande Armee game which was briefly available once and i have read some good reviews of it. From an interview i read also Frank Hunter was going to do a game for each year of the napoleonic period - what a treat it would be if this were to happen - even better if it were to all come together as one big game, but for now -if he can release something more for this period, anything i will be thrilled. I like his game design very much

Agathosdaimon -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (7/3/2013 2:11:38 AM)

well I keep looking here to see an update but nothing sadly - from discussions with someone who has the 1806 game, you can run it in windows 7, though the old trick using a newer setup installer is required. I would like to get a copy of this game, if anyone here is selling it :)

zgrant -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (7/3/2013 3:28:08 AM)

Adathosdaimon,

I just checked and I have a spare copy of 1806 I'll happily give to you. If you send me your address via a PM, or email me from my profile page I'll have it ready to send out next week.

Cheers,

~Zachary

Agathosdaimon -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (7/3/2013 3:36:07 AM)

thank you very much pm sent

Frank Hunter has kindly replied to me in a pm also as i was asking him if he had a copy to sell, which he didnt unfortunately, but the great news is that he will be playtesting volume 2 which is set in 1806 and 1813 after Piercing Fortress Europa has been completed

Kai -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (9/17/2013 4:13:25 AM)

I'm very much looking forward to Volume 2. Can't wait to see and play it.

newmanovci -> RE: CLGA volume 2 (10/3/2013 8:29:27 PM)

Likewise. I've always rated this game and I'd love to see the system applied to other campaigns.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI