Sumatra Java (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room

Scott_USN -> Sumatra Java (5/7/2007 8:44:19 PM)

Anyone successfully held to these two places against the AI? I remember in PACWAR I would try to hold them and if I were able to the Japanese war machine ground to a halt. I generally play after first 6 months but think I will try it.

String -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/7/2007 10:51:07 PM)

Yes. It's very easy when you know what you are doing.

Terminus -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/7/2007 10:54:55 PM)

Definitely a possibility...

Scott_USN -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/7/2007 11:02:17 PM)

Yeah so far I have moved the Air from Clark Field Pi. and trying to build up supplies from Kerachi. Also moving some doomed units from Indo mainly ENG that will only be wasted in the Japanese onslaught and Australian forces leaving enough to slow the Japanese.

My B-17s already put the hurt on the Japanese CVL and made the TF split so good start.

niceguy2005 -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/7/2007 11:12:48 PM)

Against the AI it is defintely doable. Some players have even done it in PBEM.

I have a game going on against the AI where I am trying to hold at leasat part of the PI against Japan. At the end of January I still hold most of Luzon and islands south. All DEI invasions have been repulsed.

Ketza -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 12:14:58 AM)

Yes I have done it against the AI rather easily. I withdrew almost everything from Singapore to Batavi. I also moved the 4th marines and several Base/Sir support units there from PI.

Im pretty confident to AI wont even get a foothold on the island much less take a base.

Scott_USN -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 1:21:43 AM)

I figured if holding the resources and the huge oil fields of Palmebang (largest around I think at 700) then I would do as much damage to Japanese industry then if I bombed them around the clock.

Rapunzel -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 8:40:54 AM)

In my last ppem as allies i could hold Singapur, Palembang, Balikapan Kendari and everything southwest of it till 6/42. Japan managed to take Palembang mid 6/42 after a long siege with all of the industry destroyed. Then my opponent accused me to be a cheater and resigned [>:]. Well he was not able to get wake or pm... so not a very good oponent. Even as he claimes to play since the release of the game [:o]

Sardaukar -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 9:03:36 AM)

"Fortress Java" is quite viable strategy. Pulling air units from Philippines and other DEI bases to Batavia and Soerabaja and evaquating base forces there too can make Java very hard to take after couple of months of buildup.

herwin -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 3:28:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

But not in PBEM...

String -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 3:38:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: String

But not in PBEM...

Agreed. Unless you are very very lucky the KB will smash any defeneces you have there.

FAdmiral -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/8/2007 10:47:03 PM)

It now July 1942 in a game vs. the Japanese AI. I still hold all of the Java area.
AI has tried to take Palembang many times using LBA and bombardment forces.
His use if the KB has been less than totally effective as I have put the hurt on
small KB TFs many times. His staging base is Kuching which I bomb daily in
port raids with my B-24s. Here is one of those raids listed below:

Day Air attack on Kuching , at 28,56

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 5

Allied aircraft
LB-30 Liberator x 3
B-24D Liberator x 39

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 destroyed, 9 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CA Mogami, Bomb hits 8, on fire, heavy damage
CA Kinugasa, Bomb hits 7, on fire
CL Tama, Bomb hits 4, on fire
AS Chogei, Bomb hits 2, on fire
AP Kowa Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Nichiran Maru, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AP Victoria Maru, Bomb hits 1
CL Yura, Bomb hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
6 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
7 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
4 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
3 x LB-30 Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
3 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
5 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet
2 x B-24D Liberator bombing at 8000 feet

Scott_USN -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/9/2007 8:59:46 AM)

It has been a lot of fun for the first few months lots of action and near loses. Its a great distraction while I build up the storm in the East with South and Central Pacific. I have basically stripped much of SouthWest but left enough to hold PM and Gili Gili to support the later thrust of South Pacific up towards Rabaul.

I hold everything but one of the far northern bases of Sumatra but it is no big deal I have them pinned in and even if they break lose the 3 armor units running around Palembang are now 70ish experience. The Australians that I pulled from Indo have been very useful and have broken (with the Indian and British Armor) 5 or 6 strong division strength landings at Palm. Also they have tried for Bali so I moved the Aussie unit down there and they haven't tried again. Balipikan(sp) and that whole large island except for 3 bases they snagged I never tried to bite that much off. They finally took Kendari but are having a hard time taking the rest around those islands.

The problems is the Dutch get few air replacements and are stuck with the now almost now non-existent Martin 139's and cannot be changed out until July 42. So I strip SW and AUS units. Which is a shame because the Martin was one of my best scoring transport killers. They are not being produced though and most of the Dutch squadrons are 1 or 2 bombers each, even so they still score some hits sometimes. Brewsters besides their range are next to useless and are just training in the rear. I have little hope in Fighter to Fighter I moved in some P-40's but they just can’t handle the early war Zero and fall like flies but they get some kills too sometimes but not real good at it at the moment.

It has not been cheap holding though 1500 aircraft destroyed and 96 ships mostly AK's and some small surface warships. But can't do it without running the Betty gauntlet sometimes.

I have moved up the shorter ranged SouthWest US made bombers and one of my very favorite of all the Hudson I in UK/AU hands has had good success at long range it can reach out there and touch someone and once the crew gets experience they are terrors on Japanese shipping.

All in all it has been hell'uv lot of fun and action every turn much better then the retreat and boredom of building up forces.

Goofy looking Martin 139 (B-10)
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Martin-B-10B.jpg[/image]

Hudson
[image]http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/equip/grfx/equip_gallery/historic_gallery/wallpaper/hudson.jpg[/image]

FAdmiral -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/9/2007 6:55:21 PM)

You need to do anything to hang on during the early part of 42. When July 42 comes,
you will be upgrading all the Dutch air. Even before that, you should be getting
results like this in air raids on your bigger bases:

Day Air attack on Darwin , at 36,84

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 21
G4M1 Betty x 8

Allied aircraft
Hurricane II x 21
Kittyhawk I x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 14 destroyed
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane II: 1 damaged

I am now giving the AI LBA a good beating just about everywhere it attacks
when I have my CAP air up and sweeping....

JIM

Scott_USN -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/9/2007 7:54:13 PM)

How do you set up your sweep? Just pick a target? Or maybe it is too early for me to have any results just yet.

FAdmiral -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/10/2007 8:21:56 AM)

Just set the mission to sweep and set 90%, thats all. Once the zeros loose their
bonus ability in dogfights, you can hold your own with them. I think it says in
the manual when that is...

JIM

Sardaukar -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/10/2007 9:30:41 AM)

Zero bonus to maneuverability expires in May 42. +5 in Dec41, +4 in Jan42, +3 in Feb42, +2 in March42 and +1 in Apr42.

Sardaukar -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/10/2007 11:31:52 AM)

Also according to tests made by people on this forum, Maneuverability has great impact how hard plane is to shoot down in A2A combat and lesser impact in shooting down enemy planes. Speed seems to be very important factor in latter plus pilot experience is major factor. According to tests, if you add more maneuverability, you suffer less losses in A2A but kills remain closely same.

Thus, +5 bonus in Dec 41 for Zero makes them more difficult for your planes to shoot down rather than make you suffer more attacks (even though it probably factors in attack-purposes too, just not very severely). Pilot experience, speed etc. seem to be main factor in how many kills are inflicted to enemy.

But until Devs/Programmers tell us, it's just educated guesses since combat formulas used in commercial games are rarely disclosed.

Scott_USN -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/10/2007 9:37:57 PM)

Thanks for the information.

Generally my p40s were 50 to 55 experience when it started they would lose half the FS in a head on attack so I wrote alot off to poor experience of pilots. Now they are in the 70s exp and lose very few. Plus is 4-42 so most of the zero bonus must be gone. Hard learned experience but they are set for the rest of the war now.

FAdmiral -> RE: Sumatra Java (5/10/2007 11:01:51 PM)

I also get a message from time to time that an Allied pilot has been shot down
and rescued to fight another day. I don't think that happens with Axis pilots.
Thus experienced pilots in the later years would favor the Allied side as it should
be as history bears out....

JIM

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI