RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Nikademus -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 6:11:34 AM)

might have something to do with the downgrading of the engine for the export versions. It also might be due to the fact that the plane was unstable in flight and had drag issues along with the usual issue of getting up to the higher speed envelope. Even the prototype, during it's test flight struggled to break 300mph @ 17,000 feet (this before the multitude of upgrades that kept adding weight to the plane) I believe the British might have had the plane's upgraded with armor and self sealers which would have compounded the problems with the Brewster airframe. The reason they'd been sent to Singapore in the first place was because the plane's abysmal med-high alt preformance was deemed unsatisfactory for European combat but they felt it would be fine against anything the Japanese had. The Brewster always rivaled the F4F in terms of paper stats, but it's real world performance would reveal another story.

showboat1 -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 6:15:41 AM)

Are there any surviving Buffaloes in a museum somewhere? I remember reading about an attempt to pull one out of a lake for the Natl museum of naval Aviation in Pensacola, but I never heard anything about its success or failure.

msieving1 -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 6:19:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Well again - that matches most of the sources I have seen. Nik, why do you suppose stock WitP has them rated so much lower?

Performance of the RAF Buffaloes was highly variable, because of of manufacturing issues. Many of them were supplied with refurbished commercial transport engines that could not reach rated power, or had fuel and oil pumps intended for smaller engines, which couldn't handle the load.

Apparently some of the RAF Buffaloes could reach their rated performance, but others couldn't. I suppose the stock ratings take that into account, but whether they are intended to reflect the minimum performance or some sort of average performance, I don't know.

Nikademus -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 6:21:49 AM)

none.

but a wrecked 339 was discovered in Finland and is i believe being restored

m10bob -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 6:24:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

none.

but a wrecked 339 was discovered in Finland and is i believe being restored

Google search for images and you will find a site where you can download film clips of the Buffalo being salvaged.

Sardaukar -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 9:51:09 AM)

Here is the link:

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/articles/bw372lecture/

"In summer 1998 a WW2 era Finnish Brewster B-239 fighter was found in a lake in Russian Karelia. The B-239 fighter flown by Lauri Pekuri was shot down in a aerial combat 25.6.1942. The aircraft that was found is the only one existing in the world. The results of work by a Finnish-Russian-American expedition group seemed very promising in the beginning. The group had all the necessary permits for the operation, granted to Prytkov's Petro-Avia company by local government of Karelia Republic.

The restoration project got into problems as the potential value of the plane was understood by other parties. Even Russian OMON special forces were sent after the search party. The ownership relations of the aircraft were mixed and in the end the aircraft ended up in an Irish warehouse as merchandise for several years. From Ireland the aircraft's journey continued to a warehouse in Mobile, Alabama. After two years the aircraft was transferred to the United States Naval Museum at Pensacola, Florida."

m10bob -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 4:45:48 PM)

Here is the Buffalo, finally in Pensacola..(Thank you Sardauker!)

http://www.warbirdforum.com/372.htm

[image]local://upfiles/7909/10BAB5CAA08642128D880A8D65F84920.jpg[/image]

msaario -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 7:50:09 PM)

Now you know why you should have a NOKIA cell phone - it looks like new after 6 decades in a lake...

"Port view of BW-372. Note the plump tire, manufactured by Nokia"

And yes, its the same company.

--Mikko

Big B -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 9:03:45 PM)

So it seems the information is in,

The Buffalo Mk I and 339D, had a top speeds of about 325 to 330 by the authoritative sources.

What are the opinions of the forum as to what would be the most appropriate speed in the game?

A) 330 (by one source)
B) 325 (by several sources)
C) 315 (to account for poor performance in SE Asian warm air)
D) 295 (WitP stock - apparently to make the aircraft modeled after the worse case scenario)
E) Other?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Brian

m10bob -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/12/2007 9:43:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

So it seems the information is in,

The Buffalo Mk I and 339D, had a top speeds of about 325 to 330 by the authoritative sources.

What are the opinions of the forum as to what would be the most appropriate speed in the game?

A) 330 (by one source)
B) 325 (by several sources)
C) 315 (to account for poor performance in SE Asian warm air)
D) 295 (WitP stock - apparently to make the aircraft modeled after the worse case scenario)
E) Other?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Brian

"Eight RAAF Brewster Buffalo fighters intercept 27 Japanese bombers after they had bombed Singapore. Seeing the fighters, the bombers went into a shallow dive and outran the fighters. One RAAF pilot put it, “Bombers outpacing fighters. You’ve got to bloody-well laugh.” (Jack McKillop)"

I would say C or D...

showboat1 -> RE: Brewster Bufflo performance (5/21/2007 5:03:53 PM)

Glad to see that the Brewster ended up in P-cola. Now it will be resored properly and put on display.  I think all they would now need is a TBD and they could completely round out their WWII aircraft collection.

Oh, and from everything I've read, the Buffalo was totally unsuited for tropical climate operations. It had a tendency to overheat and spew oil over the canopy. This was made worse in the tropical environments of the Pacific. I specifically recall reading of a New Zealander or Aussie who had to remove his boot, take off his sock, and then reach out to try to clean off his windshield so he see.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI