RE: Guess Sinking Ship (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

showboat1 -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 6:25:55 AM)

The truly amazing thing is that the photos survived. Think of the scarcity of phots taken by the Japanese during WWII that have survived compared to the plethora of American photos. Good photos from the Japanese side are few and far between.

spence -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 2:49:41 PM)

quote:

Now this took guts! Any volunters to jettison explosives

Attachment (1)

I am pretty sure that the camera was held, probably unintentionally, in such a way as to accentuate the list. For one thing, holding the men on board for what was obviously futile work when the list had increased to the degree apparent would be criminal.

Terminus -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 3:00:33 PM)

So? The Japs did that routinely...

spence -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 3:27:42 PM)

The captains/admirals had a penchant for going down with the ship but seems to me they generally allowed that the sailors should be allowed to abandon ship. On the other hand their Army compatriots had no problem ordering obviously futile Banzai Charges so maybe you're right.

Considering that 50% of the crew perished it's kind of amazing that these photos survived since the photographer obviously hung around for the end game.

m10bob -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 4:39:52 PM)

Somebody took the camera off..

TAIL GUNNER -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/12/2007 5:18:51 PM)

Amazing pictures....

Wish some Hollywood big-shot producer with a couple hundred-million to spare could see these shots....there's an excellent script for a movie just sitting and waiting in every book written about Leyte Gulf.

Can you imagine seeing a beautifully rendered CGI'd Zuikaku rolling over in it's final death throes on the big screen with the crew clinging onto anything to stay upright, screaming "BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI!" until the ocean silences them all....

[X(]

Scott_USN -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/13/2007 5:21:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Somebody took the camera off..

LOL true enough huh.

RUPD3658 -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/13/2007 5:40:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Juggalo

Amazing pictures....

Wish some Hollywood big-shot producer with a couple hundred-million to spare could see these shots....there's an excellent script for a movie just sitting and waiting in every book written about Leyte Gulf.

Can you imagine seeing a beautifully rendered CGI'd Zuikaku rolling over in it's final death throes on the big screen with the crew clinging onto anything to stay upright, screaming "BANZAI! BANZAI! BANZAI!" until the ocean silences them all....

[X(]

Letters from Iwo Jima was close to this. Made you feel for the guys on the wrong end of the flame thrower.

Tomo -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/13/2007 8:37:11 AM)

Great photos

Ron Saueracker -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/13/2007 11:07:10 AM)

Must have been depressing as a Japanese sailor, assuming they realised the the degree to which they were on the losing end of the construction battle.

juliet7bravo -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/13/2007 7:50:59 PM)

xxx

Apollo11 -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/14/2007 10:12:50 AM)

Hi all,

quote:

Amazing pictures....

[X(]

Well.. the Japanese already made the "Otoko-tachi no Yamato" in 2005 and you can get it on DVD [:)]!

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0451845/

BTW, for that movie they build quite a big 1:1 section of Yamato!

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
We discussed that movie here before few times... [8D]

showboat1 -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 4:57:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

The captains/admirals had a penchant for going down with the ship but seems to me they generally allowed that the sailors should be allowed to abandon ship. On the other hand their Army compatriots had no problem ordering obviously futile Banzai Charges so maybe you're right.

The Navy commanders had no problem either i.e. Kamikaze squadrons and Banzai bayonet charges by their SNLF units.

And by the way, everyone I know who has seen that Yamato movie says its the Japanese equivalent of Pearl Harbor.

Nikademus -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 5:02:29 PM)

quote:

[X(]

Only if they do a better job than they did of Oklahoma turning over. In that movie (Pearl harbor) she looked like she was on a rotissary spit slowly turning. Awful.

showboat1 -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 5:22:47 PM)

Pearl Harbor sucked!!!!!

Michael Bey completely missed the point.

Charbroiled -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 5:46:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

Only if they do a better job than they did of Oklahoma turning over. In that movie (Pearl harbor) she looked like she was on a rotissary spit slowly turning. Awful.

Saw a documentry on how they did the Oklahoma for the movie (maybe on the CD). It was on a rotissary spit slowly turning.

Nikademus -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 5:52:58 PM)

It took 2nd place only to the "run down the Trench" by T.I.E. er......"V.A.L." bombers

Terminus -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 5:57:17 PM)

It's still a mystery to me why people continue to treat The Movie That Shall Not Be Named as a war film and judge it as such.

IT'S NOT A WAR FILM!!!

Nikademus -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (5/21/2007 6:15:00 PM)

funny....it sure was advertised as one.

kgbudge -> RE: Guess Sinking Ship (12/16/2011 7:33:52 PM)

I realize this is a very old thread, but I just ran across it and had to comment.

Have any of you all heard of the HMS Birkenhead?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI