TRIVIA #1 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Knavey -> TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 10:42:14 PM)

Ok,

Since I am being called out everytime I post a Give me a BREAK post, I am going to change the style. This is going to be general trivia based on the books that I have in my library (and sometimes the internet). I will go by statements made in the source, and sometimes it (and therefore my post) may be incorrect. But lets give it a shot anyway!

It will probably consist of a variety of different categories based on some of the types of posts I have made in the past. Such as: "Name this port", "Name this airfield", "Fact, Fiction or WitP" and others to be decided.

RULES: No looking up the answer before posting your response. Guesses only or first hand knowledge. I will post my source later so you cannot get a clue from the title.

Question #1:

What was the first casualty of the Greater East Asian War?

a) A Dutch submarine that encountered the crusier Sendai and company on the way to invade Malaya.
b) A French cargo vessel heading from Vietnam to Thailand that was sunk by a Nell on recon patrol.
c) A midair collision between a Buffalo and a Nate over Kota Bharu airfield.
d) The Batan Island civil defense force.
e) A Catalina from Singapore shot down while on patrol.

DSwain -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 10:50:32 PM)

I'll have to go for E - as it's the only thing I know to have actually happened. I believe it was an RAAF Catalina that was sent to investigate early reports of Japanese troop transports off Siam; this was December 6th. There had been considerable amounts of cloud earlier that had restricted air recon. The Catalina was never heard from again and is believed to have been shot down.

This is all from memory so apologies for factual errors......

KDonovan -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 10:51:32 PM)

i'm gonna have to go with "B" - the french seem unluckly enough

treespider -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 10:53:42 PM)

E

Q-Ball -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 10:59:01 PM)

E, if memory serves, happened Dec 7th Malaya time, which is Dec 6th PH time. The large convoy for Malaya was sighted that day, putting the UK on high alert.

Dixie -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:02:52 PM)

I would have to go for E.

Q-Ball -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:12:03 PM)

PS, though A also happened that day before if I remember. The Dutch AND the Catalina sighted the Japanese. Either way, the British and Dutch were alerted, though the implications of that were not communicted to PI or PH unfortunately. And they weren't warlike, but it was DEFINITELY noted that there were ALOT of Japanese ships in the Gulf of Siam, headed Southwest. I think part of the Allied hesitation was that they thought they were headed just to Thailand, an eventuality the British had prepared plans for.

MineSweeper -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:27:30 PM)

A.....[;)]

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:34:24 PM)

I go for D, that is what my memory delivers, taken from a book I bought at  Harrods of London.

Terminus -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:40:16 PM)

I'll go with "e"...

aztez -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:40:16 PM)

Just going to guess here... Lets say B.

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/14/2007 11:46:37 PM)

knavey old sock, whats the solution ? [:D]

jubail1999 -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 1:11:06 AM)

What was the first casualty of the Greater East Asian War?

a) A Dutch submarine that encountered the crusier Sendai and company on the way to invade Malaya.
b) A French cargo vessel heading from Vietnam to Thailand that was sunk by a Nell on recon patrol.
c) A midair collision between a Buffalo and a Nate over Kota Bharu airfield.
d) The Batan Island civil defense force.
e) A Catalina from Singapore shot down while on patrol.

I'll go with none of the above and say f) The first casualty of the Greater East Asian War was civil discussion. [:D]

mr reed -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 2:02:10 AM)

E . It s the Flt Off. Bedell's FV-Y Cat 205th Sqn nearby Poulo Pajang island (SW of Phu Quoc) shot down on a long range recon patrol. First spotted and fired upon by an Aichi EI 3AI (ZI-26 based on the Kamikawa Maru) It s pilot Eiichi Ogata was also on a recon flight protecting 2 ships heading for Singora. After 30 min chasing him, some Ki 23 from I sentai join the hunt and about 5 of them unleash hell on the poor aircraft. The Catalina explodes killing the 8 crewmen. These poor fellows are known as the first casualties in the pacific war. [:(]

Ps [:D]didn't look up after reading the question but just happened to be reading about it a few mins before logging on the forum. As everyone can see I m very busy at work lately [>:]

ctangus -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 4:30:49 AM)

I'll guess "C", simply because no one else has picked it yet. Though from memory I think it's "E".

Local Yokel -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 4:34:58 AM)

Westerners' perspectives!  'Greater East Asian War' is, I believe, a rendition in English of a Japanese description of the conflict that began in 1937 with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident.  The first casualty was most likely a civilian caught by the Japanese artillery bombardment that opened that engagement.

Ian R -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 4:54:28 AM)

How about none of the above, because the truth is always the first casualty.

Ron Saueracker -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 7:00:23 AM)

I'm an "A" guy. That later response about the RAAF Cat might be right but is too detailed to have been the guys memory only answer.[8|][;)]

Herrbear -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 7:22:39 AM)

E

Mike Scholl -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 8:02:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Local Yokel

Westerners' perspectives!  'Greater East Asian War' is, I believe, a rendition in English of a Japanese description of the conflict that began in 1937 with the Marco Polo Bridge Incident.  The first casualty was most likely a civilian caught by the Japanese artillery bombardment that opened that engagement.

I'm with Yokel..., except my guess is some poor schmuck of a Chinese sentry on the bridge.

afspret -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 9:08:38 AM)

I remember reading something on this not to long ago and my answer is "E".

Honda -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 10:54:41 AM)

Has anyone ever even entertained the possibility that the first casulty of the Marco Polo bridge incident could be a Jap?[:(]

Reg -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 12:10:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

I'm an "A" guy. That later response about the RAAF Cat might be right but is too detailed to have been the guys memory only answer.[8|][;)]

It was a RAF Cat out of Singers and it was a couple of hours before the Pearl Harbour attack IIRC. (I'll back up 205 Squadron from my memory of reading official histories though I can't quote the serial number of the Japanese fighter). Definately E.

rtrapasso -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 1:41:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

It was a RAF Cat out of Singers and it was a couple of hours before the Pearl Harbour attack IIRC. (I'll back up 205 Squadron from my memory of reading official histories though I can't quote the serial number of the Japanese fighter). Definately E.

Well, if it were only a couple of hours before the attack, maybe those guys trying to sneak into PH in their minisub would qualify... i think that was a few hours before the attack... assuming you do want to start the war on Dec 7...

As mentioned earlier, Japan and China had been at war from 1937... and been fighting far longer... the "first" American flyer short down, was in 1932 iirc.

rtrapasso -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 1:42:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Honda

Has anyone ever even entertained the possibility that the first casulty of the Marco Polo bridge incident could be a Jap?[:(]

Not from reading about the incident in the past, no...

Dixie -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 1:54:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Not from reading about the incident in the past, no...

Tashikawa Tokoshi, who sprained his ankle when he slipped over...[:D]

I'm still sticking with E for now, I didn't think that any Dutch subs were lost on the first day.

Dutch_slith -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 3:30:06 PM)

E.

Nikademus -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 4:56:06 PM)

J

Mike Scholl -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 6:57:53 PM)

quote:

Seriously doubtfull..., the Japanese KNEW they were going to attack. The poor dumb Chinese sentries thought it was just another boring day on the Bridge....

Knavey -> RE: TRIVIA #1 (5/15/2007 9:41:03 PM)

And the correct answer is E.

Congrats to Dswain after only 8 minutes! You guys are gonna be tough.

My source is Bloody Shambles by Christopher Shores and Brian Shore with Yasuho Izawa.

The best description is given by mr reed above. Very close to the Bloody Shambles description so I will not retype it.

The speculation was that the first shots fired by Ogata's plane damaged the radio because there were no radio transmissions from the Catalina even though the attack lasted over 30 minutes.

Bloody Shambles says "the first casualties of the Greater East Asian War." I tossed that into the questions since I thought it might give some people pause as to what it really meant. I wish I would have added an answer with a Marco Polo bridge incident on it.

Good work guys.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI