Corps (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865

Johnus -> Corps (5/22/2007 2:36:43 AM)

What does forming corps do for me, as opposed to just adding divisions to an army ??

ChuckK -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 3:10:57 AM)

Bah, the formating for my nice table didn't come out. See page 56 of the manual for a good visual....

If I can do the math, there's a max. of 8 divisions without corps in a Union army and 12 divisions if you use the max of 4 corp for the same Union army.  The CSA has an even larger benefit with up to 20 divisions in one of their juggernauts with 5 corps

I don't know if there are more subtle combat and supply benefits outside of sheer numbers regarding corps.

Gray_Lensman -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 3:19:26 AM)

Units with a good Corps Commander, have another shot of learning a special ability or having their morale boosted for the lower morale units. This is a little watered down for largely packed Corps like the CSA juggernauts, but heh, at the start the Union needs every available Commander training.

Gil R. -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 5:07:24 AM)

Exactly. Units inside divisions without a corps and corps commander will have less of a chance of having their quality raised or learning new abilities. And there are most likely some combat bonuses I don't remember (not being the programmer).

Walloc -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 5:12:43 AM)

Accoring to manual. I never did check if it was the case in HW. I thrust Eric on this [;)]. Units in same corps gets higher flanking bonus.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

ericbabe -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 8:31:10 PM)

The flanking bonus is for units that are in the same directly-attached military group -- this applies to units in the same division, or to units directly attached (i.e. units that have no division) to the same corps.

Gray_Lensman -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 9:27:16 PM)

What about units in different divisions but attached to the same Corps?

and also units in divisions within Corps attacking same unit as brigades that are directly attached to Corps?

dude -> RE: Corps (5/22/2007 10:04:28 PM)

From strictly an organizational/operational standpoint I find corps very useful.  I’ll frequently form an army with two corps and as it marches I can quickly dispatch a corps for temporarily assignment nearby.  For example, I’ve had plenty of times as I’m marching down the Mississippi River (playing as the USA) or deep into Georgia… the need to dispatch a corps from my main army to chase down a nearby CSA force then reform after the threat is eliminated. 

I’ll generally keep the forces needed for sieges with the army while I can detach a corps with a good offensive structure to keep my siege force safe.  Then if there’s no threat I can reform the army to give it more firepower in the sieges or use the full army to really crush a nearby threat.

It also allows me to get better use out of some of my generals.  There are guys who have mediocre initiative ratings but decent other ratings.  I don’t like to use them as army commanders.  I’ll put a great commander with initiative in charge of the Army (Grant, Sherman, Thomas…) and a good commander with lower initiative in charge of a corps (Rosecrans, Hancock, Meade,…)  within that army.  That way the Army commander is likely to move the army but I still get the benefits of the corps commander.  I just have to make sure that the corps I use for independent operations have decent initiative commanders too.

I must admit that I did mod my scenarios so that there are fewer “armys” at the start.  Both sides only start with one, while the other “armies” I converted to Corps.  I like the way this plays better.  There were just way too many four stars running around within the first month of the game.

Dude

ericbabe -> RE: Corps (5/23/2007 8:00:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman
What about units in different divisions but attached to the same Corps?

and also units in divisions within Corps attacking same unit as brigades that are directly attached to Corps?

Such units don't get flanking bonuses with each other.

If you have a unit that's both in a division and in a corps, then when that unit arrives as a reinforcement in detailed combat it should allow a bonus brigade also to arrive in the same round of detailed battle; the message for this should appear in the popup box as "(Division+Corps Bonus Reinforcement Brigade)".

Units that are in a corps as well as a division have another general who is capable of restoring their lost disposition and training them, whereas a unit that's in a division directly attached to an army only has two generals to restore disposition and provide training. Similarly in detailed battle, the "special rally" of corps commanders can be an important factor in deciding the outcome of some battles.

General Quarters -> RE: Corps (5/24/2007 4:42:39 AM)

Does a Corps leader also add a chance at rallying troops during battle?

ericbabe -> RE: Corps (5/24/2007 5:57:59 AM)

Corps leaders have the special rally, which can restore any unit in their corps.

cesteman -> RE: Corps (5/24/2007 4:42:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Corps leaders have the special rally, which can restore any unit in their corps.

I didn't know that. It makes sense now that you pointed it out. I thought that they only provided special abilities like Shooters etc in the game. I know in the ACW many Corps Generals rallied troops within their corps (like Jackson). I'll have to keep that in mind for future battles.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI