Restricted commands (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

KTNJR -> Restricted commands (5/24/2007 2:50:03 AM)

What do you guys do with them? Mainly speaking for the Dutch commands.
Do you spend the political points to switch them or let them die in place?
What is the reason for them being restricted?
It ticks me off to see my men cut slaughtered and I can't move them.

Terminus -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 2:53:43 AM)

They're restricted because they represent forces that would have been held back for the defence of their respective territories. If you want them out, I think it's completely logical to have to spend political clout to do it.

Take Australia, for example. Their ground forces represent the Australian Militia Force, which wasn't EVER meant to set foot outside of Australia. It wasn't until much later in the war that they went anywhere...

Mike Scholl -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 6:17:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

They're restricted because they represent forces that would have been held back for the defence of their respective territories. If you want them out, I think it's completely logical to have to spend political clout to do it.

The frustraiting part in practice is that "restricted" also prevents the Dutch from moving thier units around WITHIN Indonesia without paying political points... It's a poorly designed mechanism...

rockmedic109 -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 11:08:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The frustraiting part in practice is that "restricted" also prevents the Dutch from moving thier units around WITHIN Indonesia without paying political points... It's a poorly designed mechanism...

Yep. I have to agree with this big time. I can't see any other way of doing it, but I still don't like it.

mc3744 -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 11:14:32 AM)

I try to save as many as I can.
The first months of war all my PPs go into ABDA and the USAFFE (PI).

Later in the war ('43) those ENG will come real handy.

As Japan I convert all the Kwantung units I can, especially ART and ENG.

m10bob -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 2:17:09 PM)

I purchase Dutch aviation ground units to man bases in Australia and New Guinea.
When I can afford it, I grab a couple of grunt units.
IRL, some of the Dutch units were used the same.

http://home.brisnet.org.au/~dunn/nei-af.htm

Yamato hugger -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 3:52:09 PM)

Dutch air is easy to get out. By the time I pull them out, there isnt much left of it. As for the ground troops, the only thing of the Dutchies I even TRY to save is 1 regiment of ground troops and the 2 bigger air support troops off Java. I save a few of the Philappino units also. Basically I save a few of the units that will use up the ground troops you get as replacements so that means a PA cav unit, a PA scout unit ect. Only because I hate to see it go to waste, not because the troops are any good. They start off below 50 experience and take too long to train up to be of any real use in defense. The PA units can actually have some decent experience if you wait a while to pull them out, but the Dutch fall too fast usually to train up very much.

Edit: In PacWar, Malaya was a restricted command also. Personally I think it should be one here as well.

MarcA -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 4:07:53 PM)

You really want to be considering saving the high value and rare units. In approximate order, and from what I remember, I would rate them as

Asiatic fleet HQ
14th PS Eng Rgt - Allies only get a handful of eng rgts
The two US tank units 192nd (?) and 194th
The 2/3 Dutch AA units
4th USMC Rgt
PAF Av
The 2 Dutch DAF Aa units
Dutch naval BF's for there coastal guns
Other Dutch BF's

After that, like Yamato Hugger says, just enough of everything else it uses up your replacements; a PA Cav unit, a PA Div, a dutch garrison, etc.

mc3744 -> RE: Restricted commands (5/24/2007 4:35:45 PM)

I personally used the 2nd PA Div with great satisfaction.

I used it in '43 in the recapture of the Aleutians and it did her job all right.
It's now around 60+ (if memory serves me well) and recovering in PH. Soon it'll be back in action.
I also managed to save most Dutch units.
They come vey handy once you start advancing deeper into former Japanese territory (especially SRA).

The long range Jap transports (Tina's and HK) can paradrop far behind your lines, hence you need to garrison anything remotely useful or feel the pain of having to go back and recapture it. Or worse find Betty's behind your lines.
They can capture a size 4 airfiled (if empty) and the next turn air transport a bit of Air support to create some real pain behind your line. A LOT behind!

If you don't want to waste precious units for garrisoning duties, I find the Dutch perfect.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI