Infantry repair. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Dave R -> Infantry repair. (8/31/2000 7:11:00 AM)

In version 3 we are going to see the introduction of vehicles having the chance to self repair. I was thinking, shouldn't this possibility be expanded to infantry, even gun crews. That is to give them the chance to recover some of their casualties. We all understand that an infantry/crew kill doesn't necessarily equate to an actual death, but covers guys being wounded, running of, or just getting seperated from their squad in the firefight. "Yoh! Jonsey! We thought you bought it back in the farm!" "Nah, Smithy and me got pinned by that frigging MG nest, by the time we wormed our way out you guys had split!" Personnaly I think that a leg unit would have more chance of recovering 'lost' colleagues then tanks repairing themselves in a battle. But still! Just a thought, to give you guys at Matrix to something else to chew on, as if you ain't got enough

rexmonday -> (9/2/2000 4:53:00 AM)

I like this idea - if nothing else it gives another reason to rest units, rather than running them into the ground. At present the only reasons to give the troops a break are to fight suppression and to let their shots/per turn return to full. The question is - would it make any real difference in a game - there isn't a great deal of difference between a 7 man squad and a 5 man squad when you come down to it... (yeah, I know one has 40% more men, and so supposedly will hand out 40% more kills, all other things being equal) ... especially given that enemy troops will also be regenerating. I can see that the AI would be at something of a disadvantage here - it tends to use troops until they are DEAD, without any tactical retreats, only suppression caused pullbacks and routs. Thus the human would get some leg infantry battered and repaired, while the AI just got its units reduced to 0 men one after another.

Schrullenhaft -> (9/2/2000 5:03:00 AM)

I like the idea myself, especially for the American "replacement" system. Bring your infantry back to full strength, but reduce the experience (by how much would be the big question). So the option to rebuild a full squad - gain the firepower, but lose the experience.

Tombstone -> (9/2/2000 6:45:00 AM)

It might make infantry a little more durable which would be nice. Tomo

Dave R -> (9/2/2000 7:29:00 AM)

Actually rex had a good point. A nice idea but I suspect would involve too much work to get it up and running under the current game engine. Now perhaps if one of those there closed threads is about a 'Beyond Steel Panthers' game, then perhaps it is something that could be worked in from the start!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI