Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Harpoon 3 ANW Support

TimOusley -> Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (6/4/2007 3:28:26 AM)

Trying to keep track of my versions, like we all learned with H2...
2 questions:
1. I recently installed the 3.8.0 Inclusive fileset. I may have missed one or two prior updates--not sure--but I notice that under 3.8.0 Incl., using the H3 Standard Database, the aircraft ready times have increased to the real-time reload values. Not on start-up, but launch and aircraft then land him right away and reload is between 3 & 6 hours, depending on type. One reason I liked the old 30-minute turnaround was that it came in very handy for designing scenarios and 'quickplay'-type games. I've looked but can't locate any release notes on prior updates that address this reload-time change. Can anyone tell me when the change was, so I can go back and re-load the old version of the SDB?
2. Since Jon's DB Editor won't edit anything past 3.6.3 (unless I've missed something there as well), is there any way of changing the H3 ANW or other database reload times if I want to do that?
Thanks again for all your hard work...
Tim O.

Pappystein -> RE: Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (7/15/2007 5:51:17 AM)

Hey everyone. I have long and tirelessly argued AGAINST changing the default reload times.
My reasons are varied and many. Thus I have a proposal for all you DB editors.

First my reasons against the changing from a 30 minute loadout time.

1) You as a DB editor/Scenario Designer do not know what the PLAYER is going to do with his aircraft. He MAY just use the B-52H for Close Air support. I am not saying that is smart but automatically reducing the availability of a platform is LIMITING and not REALISTIC (the whole point for Custom re-load times.)

2) You can not duplicate SURGE operations. For those of you not in the know, Surge oppreations have been used by the Israeli's since 1967 and was used in a limited form by the US in Vietnam and a more dramatic form in Operation Enduring Freedom. Basically the Aircraft is launched to a "airborne holding pen" and then directed to targets as they pop up. The problem is that eventually the aircraft WILL need maintenance and the Pilot will need to rest. During the 1973 Yom Kipper war Israeli pilots were performing 4-9 sorties a DAY (Source Fighters over Israel by Lon Norden) During Operation Iraqi Freedom US AIR NATIONAL GUARD A-10 units were flying 4 sorties a day (I have one of those ANG units right in my backyard and while they couldn't say much they laughed at some of the re-launch times.) Incidentally Strike planning time has gone from several hours to several minutes by doing so. The US and allied forces are capitalizing on Airborne command aircraft (E-3/E-8 /P-3/Nimrod) or on "FastFAC" Formerly the F-14 and the USMC F/A-18D(NA.) These aircraft provided the targets and briefing inroute to the target.

3) No one looked for alternatives. Well after 2.5 years of thinking... I finally have one.

Simple. Any non Bomb/Gun weapon in the DB has to reload from a munitions dump. So we just add one little widget weapon called "Surge" into load outs for Surge operations. If you want to get REAL accurate follow up with a "Slow Surge" that is an intermediately step. Thus you DB editors/ Scenario editors that want lower Reload times get your wish. You players that want flexibility and realisim get your wish. The only problem is you DB editors have to now make THREE loadouts for each aircraft and each loadout for the aircraft.... And maybe one "Surge" and "Slow Surge" for each aircraft type (to prevent the CAP fighters stealing the Strike aircraft's surge ability. It is a good thing we are not limited to PFedit anymore people!

Coincidently you can calculate real world load out times not by the mission but rather by the WARLOAD. For example an Average USAF ANG crew can re-load an A-10 with 2 Mk84 based weapons (GBU-10/24), 4 AGM-65 Mavericks and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders in under 15 minutes (i have seen it done in a drill) Their exact time excluding reloading the GAU-8 30mm cannon was closer to 11 minutes... and that includes a loader failure (It stalled and took about 1 minute to re-start! So DB designers. Please provide feedback to your thoughts.

ClaudeJ -> RE: Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (7/15/2007 6:23:25 PM)

quote:

(...)

Coincidently you can calculate real world load out times not by the mission but rather by the WARLOAD. For example an Average USAF ANG crew can re-load an A-10 with 2 Mk84 based weapons (GBU-10/24), 4 AGM-65 Mavericks and 2 AIM-9 Sidewinders in under 15 minutes (i have seen it done in a drill) Their exact time excluding reloading the GAU-8 30mm cannon was closer to 11 minutes... and that includes a loader failure (It stalled and took about 1 minute to re-start! So DB designers. Please provide feedback to your thoughts.

another exemple is the swedish Gripen that are resupplied by 5 conscripts and 1 officier in 10 minutes on road bases. (older plane were also reloaded in short times but i don't have the figures).

playing the devil's lawyer role, i would say that not all scenario are simukating pure war time and in peace time the security measures are more restrictive than in wartime (for exemple fuel and ammo may not be reloaded at the same time).

so ideally, both wartime and peacetime ready times may be available for all loadouts but it would increase the work needed on loadouts (clone, change time and name for all loudouts) but would also make the available loadout list longer in the GUI wich then become less user friendly.

in a way, it could even be more handy to have a "wartime" platform with wartime ready times only and a "peacetime" clone with peacetime ready times only (and maybe also with some exercices weapons like dumb bombs and decoys)

cheers,

Jan

Dimitris -> RE: Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (7/16/2007 10:38:34 AM)

Guys, this thing has been discussed to death both in the old Yahoo H3 group and on its successor, the Harpooner's Point.
A short refresher: http://www.harpoonhq.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2840

Craig: I can understand that your ANG buddies would find some issues with the CRTs as currently implemented. Nobody claims it's a perfect model and God knows you can punch holes through it all night. (FWIW, my personal grievance is that it catastrophically delays staging base-hops). I do hope, however, that they understood the reason behind it and laughed equally hard at HC and pre-v3.4.9 H3's "30 mins for all!" model. CRTs as currently implemented are imperect, but they are a giant step forward from what we previously had. Now, if another way can be found which refines the RL constraints even more realistically then by all means it should be discussed and attempted to be implemented.

quote:

Simple. Any non Bomb/Gun weapon in the DB has to reload from a munitions dump. So we just add one little widget weapon called "Surge" into load outs for Surge operations. If you want to get REAL accurate follow up with a "Slow Surge" that is an intermediately step. Thus you DB editors/ Scenario editors that want lower Reload times get your wish. You players that want flexibility and realisim get your wish. The only problem is you DB editors have to now make THREE loadouts for each aircraft and each loadout for the aircraft.... And maybe one "Surge" and "Slow Surge" for each aircraft type (to prevent the CAP fighters stealing the Strike aircraft's surge ability. It is a good thing we are not limited to PFedit anymore people!

A fair idea, but I envision two problems with it:
1) How do you instruct the AI to load up Surge-loadouts during, say, the first two days and then follow up with non-Surge loadouts?
2) How do you prevent a human player in either single player or multiplayer from cheating? For example, loading a B-52 with a "Surge CAS" loadout in 30 mins and then instructing said B-52 to go strike a hardened target on the other side of the world?

quote:

This has also been discussed extensively before. CAS & hot-pad intercept missions are frequently limited only by the re-arming/refuelling cycle and this is reflected in modern DBs (like the DB2000) which grant CAS & some DCA loadouts very short CRTs, and hence a high sortie frequency. Most other missions however are limited by other factors such as package form-up, detailed briefs & debriefs, crew rest & preparation etc. Please refer to the link above for elaboration.

I do hope you can understand my reservations. I am all for finding a better way to model RL air ops. The CRTs were a huge success because they were easy to implement and constituted a big improvement over the previous status quo. Are they perfect? No. But it's the best we have right now. Any practical, feasible alternative that improves on that model would of course be highly welcome and appreciated.

ClaudeJ -> RE: Reload Times Under v. 3.8.0 Inclusive (7/16/2007 3:27:33 PM)

discussed to death i agree, but from the past discussion it appaear that it's still a matter of taste since not all parameters are available or integrated. There's as many "reality" than as many player or at least as many DB authors.

cheers,

Jan

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI