<Resolved>Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support

Knavey -> <Resolved>Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 5:33:14 PM)

I just patched to the latest patch for my PBEM game (1806) and now any time I open a pop up interface screen, it does not show up with any background color.

If I have one open already, like a TF screen shown below, and open another one (like adding ships to a TF, it opens another transparent window over the existing one further cluttering the screen and making it impossible to play.

HELP!

[image]local://upfiles/7595/F777B1788C5D4C8F9EAFFE46A8FA72FC.jpg[/image]

michaelm75au -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 6:01:34 PM)

That has happened to me a couple of times in the past...exiting the program and restarting it has worked for me.
Not sure if this is a graphic memory issue or something corrupting images in memory.

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 6:15:37 PM)

Have restarted several times to no avail.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 6:16:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

That has happened to me a couple of times in the past...exiting the program and restarting it has worked for me.
Not sure if this is a graphic memory issue or something corrupting images in memory.

i've also seen similar things - and it usually is based on memory... rebooting will generally solve the issue, but after you reboot, limit the number of programs you have running concurrently.

If rebooting, etc. DOESN'T solve the problem - let us know.

EDIT - oops - crossing messages...

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 6:26:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Have restarted several times to no avail.

If restart = reboot, and you are not running a lot of other programs at the same time, then you MIGHT have a corrupted installation. You might have to reinstall.

How much memory does your machine have? Are you running any memory intensive TSRs (background programs?) At one time i had a lot of problems because i was running SETI@HOME software which was supposed to be in the background, but hogged memory. If you are running something like this, turn it off.

treespider -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 7:16:22 PM)

I faced a similar issue...I found that a reboot was necessary everytime I wanted to play. Someone suggested playing in Windows mode, since then no issues except it's in an 800x600 Window.

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:08:25 PM)

Ummm...thinking it is not a RAM problem.  Got 4 GIG of that stuff.  Not a restart problem.  Did that several times with no effect.  Not a reboot problem.  Did that also and still the same effects.  Not a video card problem.  Nothing has changed there pre or post patch.  Resolution also...nothing changed.

DEFINITELY a patch problem.  It was working the minute before the patch.  I applied the patch, and it started messing up the interface.  It is almost as if the "background" screen is missing when they put the art together for an interface window.

Any more suggestions?

Oh and this was a VERY new install of the game.  I reinstalled and played 1 turn (with no issues) then patched and then the issues came up.

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:16:27 PM)

Here is the rest of the computer info for the troubleshooters out there.

XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor
4 gig RAM
Radeon 1650Pro with 512 MB DDR2 memory
Desktop Res 1280x1024

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:19:40 PM)

quote:

Ummm...thinking it is not a RAM problem.  Got 4 GIG of that stuff.  Not a restart problem.  Did that several times with no effect.  Not a reboot problem.  Did that also and still the same effects.  Not a video card problem.  Nothing has changed there pre or post patch.  Resolution also...nothing changed.

DEFINITELY a patch problem.  It was working the minute before the patch.  I applied the patch, and it started messing up the interface.  It is almost as if the "background" screen is missing when they put the art together for an interface window.

Any more suggestions?

Oh and this was a VERY new install of the game.  I reinstalled and played 1 turn (with no issues) then patched and then the issues came up.

Sounds like a kick-@ss machine... you aren't doing anything fancy like running under LINUX with a virtual Windows machine, are you?

EDIT - see below about changing screen resolution.

The only other thing i can suggest at this point is too reinstall... a pain, i know. [:(]

You might try copying your new install into another folder, and patching just one of them... that way if it messes up again, you don't have to do a third install. You also might want to download the latest patch again to make sure it wasn't corrupted in the download/unzip somehow (unlikely but possible.)

i would recommend reinstalling from a reboot, and make sure nothing else is running that you don't need to have running.

Oliver Heindorf -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:20:58 PM)

you run window blinds or any other XP-Theme-alternating progs ?

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:21:24 PM)

quote:

XP Pro
4 gig RAM
Desktop Res 1280x1024

What happens if you set the resolution down to 800 x 600??

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:21:59 PM)

One other tidbit (you never know what may be useful). 

I am Allies in the PBEM game.  I received the turn not knowing if it was patched.  I did my moves under 1804 and had no issues with it.  He sent me an email saying that the turn HAD been patched.  I patched my system, d/l the original turn from email, and then ran into this problem.

Just some more info.  Again, it is all pointing to the patch.

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:24:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oliver Heindorf

you run window blinds or any other XP-Theme-alternating progs ?

I keep a very clean system. The only thing running from startup menu is NAV and HP printer software. Everything else is turned off requiring a manual start.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:24:09 PM)

quote:

I am Allies in the PBEM game.  I received the turn not knowing if it was patched.  I did my moves under 1804 and had no issues with it.  He sent me an email saying that the turn HAD been patched.  I patched my system, d/l the original turn from email, and then ran into this problem.

If you start up a new game (ie AI game) from the new install, do you get the same problem??

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:27:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

XP Pro
4 gig RAM
Desktop Res 1280x1024

Just tried this. Same issue there. Also tried it on a save game that had not been done with the patch so the save was 1804. Same issue.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:30:05 PM)

quote:

Again, it is all pointing to the patch.

Well, i agree something went wrong when you patched... the question is whether it is the patch itself, or something happened in the patching process (i.e. defective download, defective unzip, defective installation due to one thing or another.)

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:30:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

If you start up a new game (ie AI game) from the new install, do you get the same problem??

Just started one as Japan and it has the same issue.

Got a really good problem here!

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:31:01 PM)

I think I may just do a complete reinstall (although I just did this!).  That way we will know.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:32:08 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

XP Pro
4 gig RAM
Desktop Res 1280x1024

Just tried this. Same issue there. Also tried it on a save game that had not been done with the patch so the save was 1804. Same issue.

How does a new game look - are there any issues there??

EDIT:
OOPS - crossing post again...

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:33:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

XP Pro
4 gig RAM
Desktop Res 1280x1024

How does a new game look - are there any issues there??

EDIT:
OOPS - crossing post again...

New game borked too. Just uninstalled. Reinstalling starting now.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:34:54 PM)

quote:

I think I may just do a complete reinstall (although I just did this!).  That way we will know.

Yes - that would be the next step, i think. i would recommend a new download of the current patch itself as well.

Again, once you do the 1.804 comp upgrade, you might want to copy the game to another folder to save time later if there is a problem.

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:37:30 PM)

Based on this link to the downloads page http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=294 it looks like I need to put on patch 1804 and then the 1806 revised patch.  I am not going to use the 1806 hotfix patch.  Anyone disagree?

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:38:59 PM)

Ok, game installed.  D/L the patch and installing as posted above.

jwilkerson -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:43:13 PM)

quote:

Based on this link to the downloads page http://www.matrixgames.com/games/downloads.asp?gid=294 it looks like I need to put on patch 1804 and then the 1806 revised patch.  I am not going to use the 1806 hotfix patch.  Anyone disagree?

This is correct.

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:44:12 PM)

quote:

Yes - correct - the hotfix patch was only for the 1.806 old patch (i.e. not the revised patch)

Knavey -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:48:05 PM)

Ok.

Reinstalled and patched and that fixed the problem.  Must have got a bad download on the first patch!

Thanks for the help!

jwilkerson -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:49:16 PM)

Go Knavey Go !!!

[:)]

rtrapasso -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/4/2007 8:53:48 PM)

quote:

Ok.

Reinstalled and patched and that fixed the problem. 

YAAAYY!!!

Rainer -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/5/2007 2:47:18 AM)

Matrix Legion of HONOR.
Well deserved.
I salute you.
Rainer

Fokkov2 -> RE: Patch 1806 just messed up my interface! (6/5/2007 2:01:54 PM)

I had the same problem some time ago (1.804).
Downloaded some other background's from Spooky's site i think and dropped in the art folder.

Problem never showed up again. [:)]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI