OT - Smiley dictionary (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Alfred -> OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 12:44:00 PM)

Gentlemen,

At the risk of displaying too much ignorance, to date I have, ...ahem... failed to find a dictionary which explains Matrix smileys. When I have googled this topic, the universal smiley explanations seem to cover "keyboard smileys" and not the graphical ones which Matrix uses. Many of the smileys seem to be self explanatory but I do not want guess their meanings.

Is there amongst the most learned and renaissance men who frequent this forum, one who can point me in the direction of a simple list which explains the meanings of the Matrix smileys?

Alfred

MarcA -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 1:14:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Gentlemen,

At the risk of displaying too much ignorance, to date I have, ...ahem... failed to find a dictionary which explains Matrix smileys. When I have googled this topic, the universal smiley explanations seem to cover "keyboard smileys" and not the graphical ones which Matrix uses. Many of the smileys seem to be self explanatory but I do not want guess their meanings.

Is there amongst the most learned and renaissance men who frequent this forum, one who can point me in the direction of a simple list which explains the meanings of the Matrix smileys?

Alfred

I think you maybe reading too much into this. There isn't a set definitive use for any of the smileys. If you feel the need to put one in just choose the one you think best suits your purposes. For instance, [&:] may have been a good smiley for your original post.

Alfred -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 1:19:22 PM)

Thanks Mantill.

I had always thought that as smileys were meant to prevent ambiguity/provide context in typed text, the smiley itself had to have a precise meaning.

Alfred

tsimmonds -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 3:13:20 PM)

[sm=nono.gif]

[;)]

rtrapasso -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 4:54:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

[sm=nono.gif]

[;)]

[sm=00000613.gif]

dtravel -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 9:08:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

[sm=nono.gif]

[;)]

[sm=00000613.gif]

[image]http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/507/spahhh1xn.gif[/image]

Speedysteve -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/9/2007 9:18:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

[sm=nono.gif]

[;)]

[sm=00000613.gif]

Hey that used to be my TM in flaming topics.....I should have patented it.......[sm=00000613.gif]

Mike Scholl -> RE: OT - Smiley dictionary (6/10/2007 12:54:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Gentlemen,

Alfred

I think you maybe reading too much into this. There isn't a set definitive use for any of the smileys. If you feel the need to put one in just choose the one you think best suits your purposes. For instance, [&:] may have been a good smiley for your original post.

I'd say what this entire exchange proves is that there is far too much "PC" in the world. How sad is it when we have a poster worried about "offending" someone with a "smiley"?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI