I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

DavidL -> I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 9:16:10 AM)

Dear All:

I absolutely loved QQP's Battles of the South Pacific - old game, I know.

Never played Carriers at War, but the two looked similar.

I know some liked Carriers at War, but I, for one, do not. And I only purchased the game 1 day ago. Booted up a scenario, Midway, set up CAP, launched a few strikes, then ran the battlecruisers around the map sinking the remaining ships (like cat and mouse).

For me, there is no depth to this game, compared to QQP's Battles of the South Pacific.

Questions:
1)Does matrix / SSG give refunds?
2) Can I sell my copy (only 1 day old) - and the serial number? I live in Melbourne, Australia.

Thanks

[image]local://upfiles/25351/11D5F2FD631E4246A235D6FDFD772263.jpg[/image]

e_barkmann -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 9:28:08 AM)

try playing Midway as the Americans...

GenChaos33 -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 9:29:01 AM)

The Japs are suppose to cream the US forces at Midway(I also assume you playing Historical, not Sara added). I would think Midway is best played as US-human.  The odds were really long for US in real life. 

flintlock -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 9:31:14 AM)

You can check the Store FAQ. With respect to returns or cancellations, the policy is outlined here.

DavidL -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 10:31:09 AM)

Alright, I will try as the Americans, so I will fire it up once again.

Again, with not much tactics, nor reading of the manual, I just parked the carriers next to Midway, put up CAP (combine Midway and 3 carriers CAP), some submarine found the carriers, we both launched, and after a whole heap of dice rolling, looks similar to a historical result.

I lost one carrier, he lost 3 and 1 almost dead.

I am still happy to sell this - perhaps I can post it on a CD with the serial.

[image]local://upfiles/25351/D46A99893EF14E88979AA9FE5DD7333E.jpg[/image]

balsampear -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 10:45:34 AM)

Try p v p

e_barkmann -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 10:46:49 AM)

i just tried what you described and by 8am the next day I'd lost 3 American carriers. If it wasn't for the screenie I'd say we were playing different games!

cheers

GenChaos33 -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 11:18:55 AM)

DavidL, please replay Midway(Historical) as US a few more times(the more the better). Would be interesting to see if you keep getting same result.

GenChaos33 -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 11:56:50 AM)

If results stay the same, then its a difficulty setting problem. Since CAW really has no difficulty settings, one would have to create/modify his own scenarios. Example: Use Editor and load Midway. Maybe change pilot experience levels. Raise AI side experience, lower human side experience. Another idea, maybe create new Midway scenario where Yorktown is lost at Coral Sea and give US only 2 CVs for Midway battle.

But this assumes that you still like the game itself, but would have to customize it to your own needs/enjoyment.

DavidL -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 12:56:12 PM)

Hey, Chris Merchant, did you set the carriers to sail to Midway at the fastest speed (flank speed)? Also, it might help to turn off some of the useless search vectors (east). Launch the Midway planes the same time as the carrier planes. Yes, there is an element of luck, as you are hoping the Midway based search planes find the carrier group within a reasonable timeframe.

Yes, I wish there is a difficulty setting, although it would be disappointing if they just put in a bonus chance to hit for the enemy and a penalty for the player.

By the way, have people here played (and loved) QQP's battles of the south pacific??

CJMello63 -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 3:06:20 PM)

Try E-Bay.

e_barkmann -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 3:15:05 PM)

Hey, DavidL - no last time I didn't micromanage as I assumed you hadn't micromanaged as that appears to be the complaint.

So this time I burled off, flank speed for Midway.

This time the IJN fleet stayed further east and I was not able to launch much in the way of an effective strike so I hung around for the next morning. Armed an hour before dawn, set CAP etc... and to my horror the IJN carriers were now only a few nm east of Midway (eventually, after what seemed a miriad of false sightings).

Tried to launch a few strikes but the Japanese bombs were raining down on my beautifully armed and fueled planes.

Sorry but I can't recommend your strategy so far :-)

I really enjoyed QQP's Perfect General 1, I have fond memories of playing lots of modem games and getting used to modem init strings. Didn't they also do Perfect Admiral or something? Anyway, never got to play it...

cheers

freeboy -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 7:54:59 PM)

o, try the japs in the late war scenario.. lots of bases and u can add a non historical jap "better planes and more cv option to make this one sided affiar mor even.. barely! expect to take yuour lumps... one cube or two?

blastpop -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 8:09:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DavidL

By the way, have people here played (and loved) QQP's battles of the south pacific??

I always thought it was a poor imitation of the CAW back then. I did love the Perfect General for sure!

jwarrenw13 -> RE: I don't like it - and want to refund / sell it (6/10/2007 9:26:19 PM)

What I get from reading all these threads is that players are getting wildly different results playing the same scenarios, even when using the same basic operationa approach.  That would seem to me to be realistic, since carrier combat was a bit of a crap shoot, in early WWII especially.  It would also seem to bode well for replayability.

I remember buying the Avalon Hill computer game Midway and playing it on a C64 way back when.  I loved that game, and it was essentially the same thing over and over again with a little crude map and text and if I remember right an air raid alarm sound.  Take your carriers, go out and try to find the Japanese carriers before they found you, and hoping for the best.  Most games quickly ended up a decisive victory for one side or the other.  But they were very exciting and unpredictable.   

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI