Map Flickering and other probs. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series

jbunnelle -> Map Flickering and other probs. (6/11/2007 4:27:36 PM)

A few things that I noticed:

1. When moving around the map with a unit selected and the Moveable or Visible hexes option on, there is a terrible flickering on my laptop when I scroll the screen vertically. This doesn't happen when scrolling horizontally. I haven't yet tried the game on my main PC with its CRT monitor. Might be a laptop display issue. Either way, thought I should report it.

2. In the set-up phase of a dynamic scenario, I can select units in 2D view but I cannot move them. Was that how it's always been? Placement is infinitely easier in 2D due to the color-coded topography. So I wish this functionality were possible.

Thanks.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/11/2007 4:30:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbunnelle
1. When moving around the map with a unit selected and the Moveable or Visible hexes option on, there is a terrible flickering on my laptop when I scroll the screen vertically. This doesn't happen when scrolling horizontally. I haven't yet tried the game on my main PC with its CRT monitor. Might be a laptop display issue. Either way, thought I should report it.

Are you running Vista? If so, turn on disable desktop composition in the compatibilty tab of a direct shortcut to the exe you want to run and it should eliminate this issue. If it's not Vista, then this is a different issue entirely.

jbunnelle -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/11/2007 4:38:49 PM)

No, I'm running XP.

Huib -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/12/2007 2:32:26 AM)

This problem is related to the LCD screen you use. I experience this problem on one of my monitors. (BenQ LCD).
My Samsung LCD monitor does not have this problem, neither do my 2 laptops own screens.
It was already existant in the old Talonsoft version of the game.

Huib

MartNick -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/12/2007 10:38:33 AM)

Do you have the correct .inf file for your monitor? Sometimes helps not to use the Wndows Plug and Play one.

Control Panel, Display, Settings, Advanced, Monitor (set screen refresh rate here), Properties, Driver, Update Driver to your manufacturers .inf file.

Also I think LCD screens run better at 60 Hertz refresh rate.

ojuzu -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/12/2007 11:32:08 AM)

It's probably caused by the pseudo-transparency used in this game. Since the graphics are from a couple of generations ago, the grayed out "transparent" effect for the movable and visible hexes is accomplished by creating a bunch of dark lines in a criss-crossing pattern that allows the user to only see small parts of the regular map. This gives the illusion of transparency but it is noticeable at times, specifically on the winter maps where the contrast is greater and also when scrolling on certain LCD screens.

I'm not on a laptop but my LCD monitor is very crisp so it is somewhat noticeable for me as well. It really only becomes bad on the winter maps, though.

jbunnelle -> RE: Map Flickering and other probs. (6/12/2007 11:13:39 PM)

Thanks, everyone, not something I can't live with.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI