B17@Midway (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

Prince of Eckmühl -> B17@Midway (6/12/2007 8:03:43 PM)

The game has B-17D deployed to Midway.

It should be B17E

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

[image]local://upfiles/21246/5D6CCB2BCEC4417CB193020BEABC5028.jpg[/image]

blastpop -> RE: B17@Midway (6/13/2007 12:21:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

The game has B-17D deployed to Midway.

It should be B17E

Maybe so, but they still won't hit a darn thing! [:@]

jazman -> RE: B17@Midway (6/13/2007 1:46:22 AM)

I was wondering about that.

There are some US marking anomalies, as well. Those B-17Ds have the early-war markings, and then the PBY Catalinas have the late-war Star-and-Bars. Hmm.

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: B17@Midway (6/14/2007 8:31:27 AM)

I really didn't pay much attention to the model number until I was examining some post mortem data, and discovered that the Japanese CAP was reported as having destroyed virtually all the Allied B-17, so I figured the victims must have been the "D" model (without tail guns, as depicted in the game's art). Even the earlier model was hard for Zeros to shoot down, BTW. The fighter's twin 20mm cannon had a low muzzle velocity and the shells dropped like rocks. They worked well enough in close, but their effectiveness declined precipitiously as the range opened, as was the attackers preferred stance when engaging anything with tailguns. Throw in the fact that the A6M2 only carried 60 rounds of cannon ammo, and you've got a truly anemic bomber-killer. I've often thought that the best thing to have done with a B-17 at Midway was to simply go bombless, load up with extra ammo, and then fly back and forth across the KB in formation, meting out futility to the approaching samurai/incendiaries. Would've made a heck of a show.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

blastpop -> RE: B17@Midway (6/14/2007 2:02:46 PM)

quote:

I really didn't pay much attention to the model number until I was examining some post mortem data, and discovered that the Japanese CAP was reported as having destroyed virtually all the Allied B-17, so I figured the victims must have been the "D" model (without tail guns, as depicted in the game's art). Even the earlier model was hard for Zeros to shoot down, BTW. The fighter's twin 20mm cannon had a low muzzle velocity and the shells dropped like rocks. They worked well enough in close, but their effectiveness declined precipitiously as the range opened, as was the attackers preferred stance when engaging anything with tailguns. Throw in the fact that the A6M2 only carried 60 rounds of cannon ammo, and you've got a truly anemic bomber-killer. I've often thought that the best thing to have done with a B-17 at Midway was to simply go bombless, load up with extra ammo, and then fly back and forth across the KB in formation, meting out futility to the approaching samurai/incendiaries. Would've made a heck of a show.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Same thing happened to me to with my game of Midway. The B17's can't hit anything and make juicy targets as the scenario stands. Might be better to send them off against surface forces to increase survivability if such a force has been spotted and in range.

NimitsTexan -> RE: B17@Midway (6/14/2007 2:03:25 PM)

There should be a mix of B-17Ds and B-17Es (mostly Es) at Midway. But that is not the only error. The Wake Island Scenario has G4Ms, when in reality they should be G3Ms.

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: B17@Midway (6/14/2007 3:52:17 PM)

There was, indeed, a B-17D at Midway, belonging to the 349th Bomb Squadron. Records indicate the presence of sixteen B-17E.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 2:25:35 AM)

This is paining me mightily.

I went to try and edit the Midway scenario with an eye toward upgrading this bird, and found that the B17D is the only model included in the game.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Oh, the horror...the horror.

[image]local://upfiles/21246/B2B083602F954D789FD04108A574B17F.jpg[/image]

Unhappy -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 3:59:04 AM)

Here is a screen capture of a B-17E I made a resource file for. I'd post the .srf file if I could figure out how to do so. It doesn't look as good as the graphics included with the game but it is functional.

[image]local://upfiles/25325/BC86CAF4E8C14B089CDC0ED5891BB0E5.jpg[/image]

Prince of Eckmühl -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 8:14:06 AM)

Hey, the art's awesome, particularly when compared to my Colonel Kurtz. [&o]

Now just give it a tail-gun, power-turrets, self-sealing fuel tanks and the USAAF shall rule!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Edit: As was the case IRL, it doesn't really have to hit anything. Still, it'll scare the **** out of those little, gnat thingies.

Kiwi Red One -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 8:33:10 AM)

Nice work Unhappy, looks very nice.

Any chance of sharing the steps you went through to create your B-17E file? Really appreciate it if you could [:)]

Cheers
KRO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unhappy

Here is a screen capture of a B-17E I made a resource file for. I'd post the .srf file if I could figure out how to do so. It doesn't look as good as the graphics included with the game but it is functional.

[image]local://upfiles/25325/BC86CAF4E8C14B089CDC0ED5891BB0E5.jpg[/image]

Marcus Caelius -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 12:50:01 PM)

quote:

I went to try and edit the Midway scenario with an eye toward upgrading this bird, and found that the B17D is the only model included in the game.

IIRC from the original editor, you could add in your own aircraft. Come to think of it, I remember adding PT boats to the database in CAW.

Unhappy -> RE: B17@Midway (6/23/2007 6:17:25 PM)

I will post the steps I went through to create the resource file in the modding forum.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI