Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War >> Carriers at War Support

MarkShot -> Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 12:02:29 AM)

The ability to custom define the zoom level doesn't work, since a "newline" character isn't properly inserted into the OPTIONS.TXT file to separate lines. However, if you edit the file manually, then this feature works fine.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 1:03:11 AM)

You are correct. I added three more zoom levels from the game and then went to the file and it was all fouled up. I fixed it with Notepad.

10 minutes later:
I just went back into the game and the zoom doesn't work any different from original. So adding zoom levels is useless as far as I can tell.

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 2:42:01 AM)

It seems to be working fine for me. I suspect you changed some other option which cause the file to get rewritten incorrectly again.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 6:43:48 AM)

No, I added some numbers and the sum of them are 1,1.5,2,3,4,5,6 and then fixed it all. Back in the game it zooms like it did before I changed anything. Just 3 levels. Am I missing something about what this does?

Here is a copy and paste:
[map options]
mapscrollspeed = 2
constrainmapaspectratio = 0
zoom1 = 1
zoom2 = 1.5
zoom3 = 2
zoom4 = 3
zoom5 = 4
zoom6 = 5
zoom7 = 6

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 4:50:55 PM)

Here is mine. It works fine, but note it seems to increase the loading and memory footprint of the game.

quote:

[Map Options]
MapScrollSpeed = 2
ConstrainMapAspectRatio = 0
zoom1 = 1
zoom2 = 2
zoom3 = 3
zoom4 = 4
zoom5 = 5
zoom6 = 6
zoom7 = 7
zoom8 = 8
zoom9 = 9

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 4:58:53 PM)

I mean loading of scenarios "loading map terrain" and not the game itself "main menu".

Here is what my max zoom looks like running windowed 1024x768.

[img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markshot/tempimages/Larry.jpg[/img]

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 7:35:28 PM)

Wow, that's really zoomed more than mine! I left the "zoom2 = 1.5 " that was already there and the game added the rest, I just corrected them being on one line. I will try your way and let you know what happens.

Thank you!

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 8:17:22 PM)

I changed it to yours but also added a tenth one. It zooms in now! The game does take longer to load now, noticeably so.

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 9:50:02 PM)

I believe that the maps pre-render each zoom level in memory. Thus, the more zoom, the more memory used. The zoom levels I posted result in a memory footprint of about 1.4Gb versus the default options which result in a memory footprint of 150Mb. That's a very substantial difference. Of course, I have 4Gb of memory, but trying to run this game with those zoom levels on a 512Mb laptop or a 1024Mb desktop would probably cripple it. (Perhaps, that explains when I tried 32bit color depth my machine ground to a halt. Maybe the memory footprint swelled to something like 40-50Gb of storage.)

Regarding your 10X zoom, I think you should look at it more closely. I believe that zoom level is bugged. Grab a map name or a clound bank at 10X and try to drag the map, you will find that the name and/or cloud bank drags and not the map. I think 9X is the best that can be supported.

Glad I was able to help.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 10:16:40 PM)

I found that after zoom5 it's worthless. At zoom6 and beyond, the clouds and names move but the earth doesn't. I went with zoom1-zoom5.

My PC is a 2gb RAM, 3.6mhz CPU. The video is a pair of NVIDIA 6800's running in SLI. Monitor is an LCD 20". I am always amazed at how slow things can still be even though it is a somewhat top end PC. I haven't used 16bit color in years, it's 32bit here and 1600x1200.

You using 4gb RAM, what else you running?

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 10:33:41 PM)

Larry,

You are right. There is a bug in the last zoom level with the cloud name layer. The following edit fixes that if you still want your high zoom level.

quote:

[Map Options]
MapScrollSpeed = 2
ConstrainMapAspectRatio = 0
zoom1 = 1
zoom2 = 2
zoom3 = 3
zoom4 = 4
zoom5 = 5
zoom6 = 6
zoom7 = 7
zoom8 = 8
zoom9 = 9
zoom10 = 1

Don't ask me why, but it does! :)

I am not sure I understand your question regarding what else I am running. Do you mean what other games I am playing or what do I run concurrent with this game?

Other games ... this machine new (QX6700-4CPU @ 3.2GHz, 8800GTX, 4Gb RAM, 21.3" LCD and 20" CRT) exceeds the requirements of anything I am playing. In fact, I play quite a few old games under DOSBOX like AOD, RTD, and 1830. All pre-1995 games. My last desktop was from 2002 and this one is a gift from wife after my heart attack. Something to enjoy instead of eternal slumber.

I am running CAW at 1024x768 on my CRT in a window with the CRT at 1152x854. Concurrent with the game, I am running email, acrobat, and Opera (web surfing). I generally, dedicate CPU #4 to games and run other regular applications on CPU #2.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 10:47:10 PM)

I just meant what machine parts are you running, and you told me well. Wow! A quad CPU! Now that's a nice toy. Good job, but I am sorry to hear what it cost you (heart attack). Hey, your alive. I broke my neck in 1984. How are you now, health wise?

That's a great video card, the 8800GTX. I use to use Opera but I am now using Mozilla for email and Internet. Internet Explorer 6 is so full of bugs that I went to Mozilla Navigator and it has been excellent, except for some web sites don't like it. They write the HTML specifically for IE.

I will now try your other configuration above for the options.txt file. Good job on experimenting and finding this out.

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/13/2007 10:52:06 PM)

Not so good, but still enjoying life.

It's a pity that neither XP nor Vista really does anything with multiple CPU's. I did some load balancing myself. The OC was done with water cooling from 2.9->3.2GHz.

The only issue with my zoom is that the first mouse zoom level will give you two clicks. Otherwise, it works fine. But, at least, you can really recognize Hawaii on the map. :)

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 12:11:58 AM)

So, did that zoom trick work for you to give you more than 5 levels?

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 5:21:10 AM)

Larry,

After more looking at this, you are right any zoom factor beyond 5X causes the game problems.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 8:06:14 PM)

Mark;

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. We have had a bad ant problem here outside and last night just before dark we were spraying again.

I changed options.txt back to just 5 levels, it does cause weird things to happen. We tried though!

I have seen the water cooling for cpu's in PCGamer magazine and some day I will own one with that feature. That is amazing that we are now using water cooling for electronics.

I have been wanting to ask you about your beta testing. How did you like AACW? I have that as well as BoA. I also have Forge Of Freedom, but still wonder your thoughts on AACW?

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 8:27:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

Not so good, but still enjoying life.

It's a pity that neither XP nor Vista really does anything with multiple CPU's. I did some load balancing myself. The OC was done with water cooling from 2.9->3.2GHz.

How not so good, unless you don't want to talk about it? Most males don't talk about health issues, I realize that, but I'm different that way. If I know a person has a certain problem, I can pray for them in that area. Really!

That's strange that XP and Vista do not cater to multiple CPU's. I read and hear so much about dual core but that's one cpu. Do you feel that having four cpu's is better than a single dual core?

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 9:42:23 PM)

Well, actually I don't think I want to get into my health in a public support forum. :)

I'll be happy to talk to you about A-ACW. PM me with an email address.

At the moment, the most important determinant for game performance is CPU speed and not number of processors. Yes, I can do a few cool things with my multi-CPUs, but it is largely useless at this current juncture with XP/Vista and the gaming industry.

I can run two games on separate processors with both getting as much CPU as they want. Example, I can run AOD under DOSBOX in a window on my LCD making a long transit back to my base in France (stuck at TC 64X due to a bug) while playing a game of 1830 under DOSBOX on my CRT in a window, since my u-boat's transit will take a couple of hours. Both running on separate processors and not impacting each other. It helps to have multiple display too.

LarryP -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/14/2007 9:52:23 PM)

PM it is! Although it's still in the A.M. here... that was a joke. [:D]

alexs -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/15/2007 4:30:31 PM)

Hi Guys,
   I'll add this to my list to investigate for a patch.

GoodGuy -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/16/2007 12:54:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

At the moment, the most important determinant for game performance is CPU speed and not number of processors.

Hail thee [:)]
Speed? ... *cough* Not trying to be a smart ass, but I told you, hehe, 'member? :D ;)

Sorry to hear that about that darn attack. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (6/17/2007 3:20:38 AM)

Goodguy,

However, although at the time I could have gotten the 3.2Ghz dual processors instead of 2.9GHz quad processor, my quad is overclocked to 3.2GHz anyway. It turns out to be more than fast enough for anything I am playing. Mainly, I was gambling that someday in the future have four processors will be significantly better than two. So, I sacrificed maybe 10% actual clock speed improvement for a 200% threading potential improvement. Only time will tell if I gambled wisely.

I am 48. I had the heart attack and was discharged after two weeks hospitalization. Right after that I started work on the COTA Mini-Guide. Panther Games Beta Testers are not entitled to any sick leave. :) Given my health maybe it is time to find a new line of work. :)

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (8/25/2007 7:05:15 PM)

Bump - map layers being grabable with the mouse still appear in v1.01.

alexs -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (8/27/2007 2:13:52 PM)

Hi Mark,
I read this thread and assumed the only problem here to be the incorrect saving of zoom ratios. I've tested the issue, and yes if you set your zoom ratios to astronomical values, you'll have a problem. As far as i've read, Win32 apps can only allocate up to 2gb for each process, and depending on screen size and zoom ratios chosen etc, you are probably hitting that limit.

MarkShot -> RE: Bug v1.00: Custom defined zoom miswrite OPTIONS.TXT (8/27/2007 5:18:24 PM)

So, 6X at 1600x1200/16bits exceeds some internal limit. Fine, perhaps should prevent users from entering invalid combinations into the options. Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI