RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support

Jason Petho -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (8/1/2007 4:55:48 PM)

Well, I thought I had a fix for the mounted motorcycle and horse endless loop problem, but it appears my proposed fix doesn't work.

This means I am sending it up to Wyatt to find a remedy. Hopefully he can find a solution, and when he does I will load it up as a 1.02b temporary patch.

Jason Petho

Erik2 -> Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 8:42:19 PM)

If I remember correctly, in the old versions you could set opportunity fire both globally for the three main unit types and also for each selected unit.
Anyway, you can't now. the global setting overrides local unit setting.

Patch 1.02 w/add-on

Erik

Jason Petho -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 8:48:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

If I remember correctly, in the old versions you could set opportunity fire both globally for the three main unit types and also for each selected unit.

Patch 1.02 w/add-on

Erik

If global op fire settings are set lower than unit op fire settings, then the global opfire settings will override the unit op fire settings.

If global op fire settings are set higher, then the unit op fire settings should override.

Jason Petho

Erik2 -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 10:08:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

Patch 1.02 w/add-on

Erik

If global op fire settings are set lower than unit op fire settings, then the global opfire settings will override the unit op fire settings.

If global op fire settings are set higher, then the unit op fire settings should override.

Jason Petho

I see, thanks for clearing that up.
BTW, op fire is one thing that the AI performs pretty badly. It looks like all unit type settings are set on long range for all units.
This means that ie AT fire long range on inf units thereby revealing themselves.
In the future it would be nice if a scenario op fire could be set by the designer making the AI a bit smarter.

Jason Petho -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 10:12:45 PM)

quote:

I see, thanks for clearing that up.
BTW, op fire is one thing that the AI performs pretty badly. It looks like all unit type settings are set on long range for all units.
This means that ie AT fire long range on inf units thereby revealing themselves.
In the future it would be nice if a scenario op fire could be set by the designer making the AI a bit smarter.

OP Fire can be set by the designer.

Here is how you do it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Patrick Brett

West Front,
Scenario design aid,

Topic: Setting opportunity fire ranges for the AI.

All opportunity fire is rooted in the .scn or saved game file. After a game is
saved, West Front uses the saved game file as the new scenario file. Although not
handled by the supplied scenario editor, you can manually edit your .scn file to
adjust opp fire ranges. You can do this for BOTH global and individual
opportunity (opp) fire. Global is much easier.

Global Opp fire setting:

Open the *.scn file
Look for the lines which read:
*.map
*.oob
The next two lines are global opp fire settings.

Example from Arnhem.scn:
Red Devils at Arnhem
0 1 0 60
0 0 0 0 10
0 0 2 6 65 85
-50 0 50 100 6
50 90 0 0
Arnhem.map
Arnhem.org
3 1 2 1 0 0 1 1 2 <---- Allied Opp fire
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 <---- Axis Opp fire

The first set of 9 numbers is ALWAYS set for the Allied side.
The 2nd set of 9 is for the Axis side.

The sequence of numbers is read:
{HV-HT} {HV-SV} {HV-Other} {ATAA-HT} {ATAA-SV} {ATAA-Other} {Other-HV} {Other-SV}
{Other-Other}
HV=Hard Vehicle, SV=Soft Vehicle, ATAA=Anti-tank Hvy AA, etc...

The numbers denote:
0 - No opp fire
1 - Short range
2 - Medium range
3 - Long range

Example:
3 1 2 1 0 0 1 1 2

What is the opp fire setting for infantry versus infantry?

Other versus other is set at 2: denoting Medium range.

Individual Opp fire:

Handling unit opp fire is tricky. I'll display an example line from an existing
scenario file.

0 13 14 1036 926 4 4 6 100 7 0 1024 3 3 3
^^^^^ ^^^^^
Location Opp fire

The unit is located in hex 13,14 (0 13 14)
The unit has opp fire set to long range in all fields (3 3 3)

If you want to set individual opp fire, you need to determine the hex location of
the unit an adjust the final 3 numbers.

The final three numbers represent:
Firing at - HT / SV / Other

Note: Global opp fire override's individual opp fire. It would be a great burden
to go through each and every unit entry to reselect opp fire ranges on a per unit
basis. But, if you have a "special" circumstance, you might want to find the unit
in your *.scn file and adjust the opp fire for it.

While creating a scenario, it is wise to place your "special" opp firing units on
the map first, write down the hexes they are in, save the scenario, and then edit
your scenario file with a text editor.

-Patrick Brett

Simple as that.

Jason Petho

vadersson -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 11:19:55 PM)

Jason,

Is there some article that explains all the codes in the SCN files? I am looking to update Craig Foster's old scenario data spreadsheets and I need to try and decipher the SCN files to populate the excel spreadsheet. Right now I am limited to title, year, and description basically.

Thanks,
Duncan

Jason Petho -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/1/2007 11:40:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vadersson
Is there some article that explains all the codes in the SCN files?

I would imagine somewhere yes. I'll have a look around.

Jason Petho

Cpl. Henshaw -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/2/2007 4:01:44 AM)

Cpl. Henshaw

Jason,
  I first started playing East Front back when it first came out, on a Win 95 pc, so I can remember some challenges. Anyway I recently got and applied the 1.02 patch, and now, all the screen colors are scewing to od green, and a scenario set in Latvia, I started working on, will no longer open in the scenario editor, and a saved game of the scenario no longer opens either. Every thing was working fine with the 1.01 patch. But now with the 1.02 I am having problems for the first time. It is discouraging to start putting a lot of work into creating a scenario, and then, see a new patch, cause it not to open anymore.
Any suggestions? Wait til 1.03? Not sure, if I should do a reinstall, and just work with 1.01.
Thanks, for helping gamers all these years,
Yours,
John
[&:] .replbq{width:100%} var LetterVals = { UIStrings : { __last : 'not used' }, StateDynamic : true, yplus_browser : false, premium_user : true, smsintl : "", SidebarSyncActionType : "read", SidebarSyncAuxActionType : "", SidebarSyncUID : "69121", SidebarSyncAuxUID : "", getString : function(id) { var result = this.UIStrings[id]; if ( result == null ) { return "Not translated: '" + id + "'"; } return result; } } var YAHOO = window.YAHOO ? window.YAHOO : {}; if ( !YAHOO.ShortcutsExt ){ YAHOO.ShortcutsExt = {}; YAHOO.ShortcutsExt.CustomConfiguration = {}; } YAHOO.ShortcutsExt.CustomConfiguration.PartnerName = "Yahoo!"; YAHOO.ShortcutsExt.CustomConfiguration.HelpUrl = "http://help.yahoo.com/us/mail/shortcuts";

Jason Petho -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/2/2007 4:08:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cpl. Henshaw

Cpl. Henshaw

Jason,
  I first started playing East Front back when it first came out, on a Win 95 pc, so I can remember some challenges. Anyway I recently got and applied the 1.02 patch, and now, all the screen colors are scewing to od green, and a scenario set in Latvia, I started working on, will no longer open in the scenario editor, and a saved game of the scenario no longer opens either. Every thing was working fine with the 1.01 patch. But now with the 1.02 I am having problems for the first time. It is discouraging to start putting a lot of work into creating a scenario, and then, see a new patch, cause it not to open anymore.
Any suggestions? Wait til 1.03? Not sure, if I should do a reinstall, and just work with 1.01.
Thanks, for helping gamers all these years,
Yours,
John

Hmm. Bizarre.

You could wait until 1.03. Or you could send it over to me and I can take a look at it.

jasonpetho (at) hotmail (dot ) com

Jason Petho

Arkady -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/2/2007 2:26:53 PM)

Error for german platoon P01176 in East Front platoon01 oob and obx files, there is last number before unit name missing (rear armor value)

Unit entry in West Front's platoon01 files are correct

Arkady -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/2/2007 3:30:14 PM)

Other errors in obx (oob) files
East Front
platoon01
- unit number P01807 - missing VP value

platoon05
- unit number P05006 - wrong sequence for Rear Armor and Unit name (some extra characters there)

West Front
platoon09
- unit number P09232 - in obx file are wrong delimiters after fire cost and concealment values

platoon10
- unit number P10095 - two spaces betwen end mont and front armor values

Jason Petho -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/2/2007 4:49:26 PM)

These unit problems will be fixed with 1.03.

Jason Petho

coralsaw -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (8/9/2007 10:54:15 AM)

Jason,

Here's a couple of minor mistakes I found recently in the latest datafiles.

East Front\weapon.pdt, Line: 341, P00743 appears for a second time in the file
West Front\unittext.txt, Line: 20781, P27206 appears for a second time in the file
West Front\unittext.txt, Line: 22803, P13302 appears for a second time in the file

Regards,

/coralsaw

Miamieagle -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (10/28/2007 8:31:58 PM)

I would to see all the nationalities Unit available in all three version through the Quick Battle Generator. Some more Danymic Campaigns like the Manchurian 1945 campaign and the incidence over the Border between Manchuria and Mongolia in the nineteen thirties. I would also like to see a Hypothetica campaign of a Russian Invation of Japan.

Operation Koronet invation of Japan and the invation of Singapore 1942 and a Hypothetical Signapore 1946.

Corrigador 1942 and 1945.

Campaign of the Marianas 1944.

Campaign of the Philippines that would include Leyte and Lozon plus Mindanao and perhaps Midoro and Panay Island.

Burma 1943-1945.

and many more campaigns for the Pacific Theater since I believe this is the Theater that is most under represented.

Thank you!

Miamieagle -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (10/28/2007 8:38:31 PM)

What about a few Dynamic campaigns in China 1937-1945. Now that would bee original.

Miamieagle -> RE: Opportunity fire individual unit (10/28/2007 8:41:53 PM)

What about French Indochina March 1945!

How can I forget Iwo Jima!

scole -> German raft op fire (1/12/2008 4:14:50 AM)

* GAME
West Front (updated and loaded with Temp 1.02B patch)
* NATIONALITY
German
* UNIT NAME
Raft (loaded with infantry)
* SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROBLEM WAS FIRST NOTED
Across the Meuse
* NATURE OF THE PERCEIVED PROBLEM
During replay my loaded raft units conducted op fire against an enemy hex outside of their line of sight. My regular units conducted op fire then the raft units would fire, another French unit would fire and the same raft units would fire again.

simpatico -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (1/18/2008 3:54:12 PM)

Re: Mounted cavalry caught in a loop.

Scenario:  Rising Sun, Liberate our Brothers, first scenario of Japanese LCG Philippines Invasion 1941

Mounted Philippines cavalry will take unlimited shots at you & you have to End Task to get out of the program.  This happens to both infantry & tanks i.e. they are taking unlimited shots at my HA-GO tanks & squads as well.

I am playing the downloaded Campaign series on Vista with patch 1.02

Also, mounted cavalry seem to be harder to kill than before, they are taking a lot of shots & only getting disrupted or 1 or 2 points loss, whereas I remember from playing EastFront that these units are normally very vulnerable, they should get sliced & diced easily like motorbikes.

simpatico -> Playing WestFront DCG as German (1/18/2008 4:24:44 PM)

Game: Downloaded version of WestFront on Vista updated with patch 1.02

Nationality: German

If you try to play The Big Red One or II Corps in Tunisia Dynamic Campaign as a German tank battalion then when you start the first scenario you have no units & there are no victory hexes.  There are no enemy (American) units either.

A fix would be nice as I would like to test fire the PzIV F2 i.e. Panzer IV with long barrelled 75mm gun against the American tanks.

simovitch -> RE: Playing WestFront DCG as German (1/18/2008 9:06:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vergissmeinnicht

Game: Downloaded version of WestFront on Vista updated with patch 1.02

Nationality: German

If you try to play The Big Red One or II Corps in Tunisia Dynamic Campaign as a German tank battalion then when you start the first scenario you have no units & there are no victory hexes.  There are no enemy (American) units either.

A fix would be nice as I would like to test fire the PzIV F2 i.e. Panzer IV with long barrelled 75mm gun against the American tanks.

These problems have been fixed with the upcoming patch. Initial reports have the medals working as well.

You will also have more choices of command in Tunisia, like 10. 15. or 21. Pz (tank) or Ramke's Parachute brigade (Infantry). Maybe even a schwere-panzer abteilung.

For US you will be able to command one of the historical Regiments of the US 1st Division instead of a generic one.

simpatico -> RE: Playing WestFront DCG as German (1/19/2008 8:01:57 PM)

I have installed temporary patch 1.02b & that has resolved both problems i.e. mounted cavalry are no longer taking endless shots & you can now play II Corps in Tunisia DCG as a German tank battalion.  Only relatively minor problem remaining is that cavalry is still way too tough, they are at least as difficult to kill as infantry in Rising Sun LCG Scenario 1.

simovitch -> RE: Playing WestFront DCG as German (1/19/2008 8:24:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vergissmeinnicht

& you can now play II Corps in Tunisia DCG as a German tank battalion. 

Yes, it works less than half the time depending on the type of mission played. There's one 1942-43 pzgr company that will cause the "no units" bug when (if) it is culled by the scenario generator for both DCG's and random battles occuring during that time period.

Crossroads -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (6/28/2010 10:20:32 AM)

This is propably the correct thread, moved the information here.

I will collect the anomalies found with Finnish units into this message.

GAME: JTCS 1.04 / EF
SCENARIO IN WHICH THE PROBLEM WAS FIRST NOTED: **The Bitter Kuuterselka (Available now at the Blitz scenario Database)

(1)
NATIONALITY: Finnish
UNIT NAME: P5015 Bicycles (Also: Hungarian Bicycles P4025)

NATURE OF THE PERCEIVED PROBLEM:

EF: Bicycles are not able to move apart from railroad tracks.

cw58: Interesting. In the old Talonsoft games, bicycles were coded 1024. But in Matrix, the German bikes are now 512 ( same as motorcycles) and rail cars are 1024. I guess not all countries' units got changed.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2496779

=> This is indeed the case. With help from Jason I modified the code to 512, and it works now.

(2)
UNIT NAME: Rifle Platoons (tested with P5002, 5214, prop. also P5201 ), Jaeger Platoons (tested with 5217, 5213, prop. also P5209)

"Cannot load to non-carrier"

These units cannot ride on tanks. Tested with Finnish Stu-40s and German StuG IIIGs, neither Finnish unit can load, a German Panzergrenadier can load on both of them. Tested with various strengths.

Finnish Rifle units cannot ride bicycles either, while Jaegers can...?

(3)
UNIT NAME: Jaeger Platoons (tested with 5213, prop. also P5209, 5217)

Finnish Jaeger Platoon has significantly less firepower than a regular Finnish Rifle Platoon.

Huib: I think the Jaegers values are a plain mistake similar to the Dutch Jagers.

=> I have modified the Jaeger units to reflect they are rifle units with a bit more rapid-fire weaponry (lmg, smg), but still rifle units, not smg units.

Jaeger Engineer unit continues to be a pure smg unit, but I left them as such as Finns did come up with smg units for special purposes.

(4) New units

ISU-152 as of 6/1944 to represent the few monster captured and put to use.

PzKpfw IV J to represent the 15 tanks received from Germany in 7/1944

=> I am in the middle of creating these units.

(5) Finland as an Allied nation 9/1944 - 5/1945

Finnish Wars during the WW II era:

Winter War 11/1939 - 3/1940
- Against Soviet Union, as a neutral

Continuation War 7/1941 - 8/1944 (armistice in September)
- Against Soviet Union, with Germany

Lapland War 9/1944 - 5/1945
- Against Germany, as a neutral (to fulfill the terms agreed in September armistice all German units must be pushed out Northern Finland

=> I am in the middle of creating Allied Finland, possibly using Belgium country code for EF for the purposes.

javanabal -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (10/25/2010 9:55:59 AM)

Hello

In East Front, it appears that german unit P01614 (SPW 251/17, AA Halftracks) is not considered to be armored as it should be.

Jason Petho -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (10/25/2010 3:46:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: javanabal

Hello

In East Front, it appears that german unit P01614 (SPW 251/17, AA Halftracks) is not considered to be armored as it should be.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jason Petho

ilikeike -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (10/29/2010 5:29:13 PM)

Hope this hasn't already been posted.

West Front (1:04)

US: Horses can only move 4 hexes whereas all other natinalities can move 7.

US: Bicycles cannot load troops, including parachute infantry (B).

US: M20 Scout car (3 & 2pt) silhouete is off center.

US: Motorcycle (both 6pt & 4pt) can only move at infantry speed.

US: 5 inch rockets cannot fire/move from sea/shallows. It can fire as off board Arty.

Dutch: M36, M38, M39, armored cars have jet engine sound when they move.

Russia/Soviet: BM8-48 rail car has infantry movement sound. Same for East Front.

West Front Organization editor:

United States

!945-1953 The T89 8 inch how. at company/btln/bde/divisional level is actually T83 155mm

1944+++ The M36 TD at company & battalion level is M 18 TD.

1952-1953 US Armored Divisions infantry companies have insufficent transport. The M 59, M 75's supplied are 4 x 2pt APC's and 2 x 3pt APC's.
There needs to be 4-5 3pt APC's.

East Front

Russia/Soviet/German Troop trains cannot carry troops (i.e. infantry) although they can carry artillery. Same for Supply trains.

Russia/Soviet/German Armored trains can carry infantry but have no carrier symbol. Russia/Soviet AA Train as well.

Looking forward to 1:05. Thanks

Jason Petho -> RE: Disrupted engineers, bicycles that shoot back and all that ... (10/29/2010 5:30:34 PM)

Thanks for the list, that helps a lot!

Jason Petho

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI