WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

pad152 -> WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 7:04:44 PM)

WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you?

Quote from OUT of Eight PC Review

quote:

The developers behind Battles in Italy have re-released Carriers at War, which was first released in 1992; it’s been such a long time that you can’t really compare the two titles, and most of the people who played the original are probably dead anyway.
[&:]

http://jaguarusf.blogspot.com/2007/06/carriers-at-war-review.html

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 7:19:39 PM)

From beyond the grave, I just got this game and am having a lot of fun with it. The only thing I regret as with all old games is that there is no community and no one to ask any questions about it.

[image]local://upfiles/8864/6A704CC801F6479ABBE2B93ACC06AF6A.jpg[/image]

Temple -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 7:21:23 PM)

Damn, me either. Does that mean I can quit paying income tax?

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 7:27:57 PM)

And another thing ... I am perfectly happy with this 2D interface. And I am playing this on a 4 CPU 3.2GHz system an LCD/CRT. So, what!

War/strategy gaming is about the intellectual exercise and not resolution/color depth/FPS/FSAA/filtering ...

[image]local://upfiles/8864/75D0B41184B444C0B00DD67B76C3997C.jpg[/image]

LarryP -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 8:24:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

From beyond the grave, I just got this game and am having a lot of fun with it. The only thing I regret as with all old games is that there is no community and no one to ask any questions about it.

Mark... where did you buy this at? I too don't care for 3d and all the hoopla about it. 2d is just fine as long as the internals work great. I would like to buy it too.

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/26/2007 9:33:28 PM)

See the other thread about pirate or legal version.

Warfare1 -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 3:54:10 AM)

MarkShot:

Would you mind posting more screen shots of the game?

For an older game it looks just fine [:)]

I think this old game just might wind up selling a few more copies [;)]

Warspite3 -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 4:23:16 AM)

Is that the old original CaW? If so why play it when the new one is out now? Unless of course you want to bring back memories for some reason [:)]

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 4:33:42 AM)

I just finished my first full game. When I play again, I'll take some more screenshots.

Why play CCAW? Because I am having fun; how's that? Although I have yet to reach an opinion regarding the AI which will be a big determinant as to whether it is really worth much of an investment of my time.

Warspite3 -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 5:21:36 AM)

Definitely, if you are having fun never nothing wrong with that, go for it [:)] I will say there are some old games I have that never had a sequel that I would have a ton of fun loading up and playing now such as ssi's pacific general. Anyway, I never played either one of the CaW but I would think this new one would be worlds better The AI is one main thing that has been seriously improved in games today. Like comparing CIV1 to CIV4, the CIV4 AI is light years and I mean thousands of light years ahead of CIV1. Games such as GalCiv2 is another example of excellent AI that was not around back in the days.

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 5:35:17 AM)

In general, I think a greater amount of project resources went into AI 10-15 years ago than today.

An 80486/33 certainly had enough CPU cycles to perform complex algorithmic logic necessary for good game play, AI, and balance. What was lacking was GPUs, FPUs, and cycles to do complex physics etc... So, when I look at the AI/game play of some of the older games, I wonder if they have been surpassed. Games such as 1830, Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, Sid Meier's Gettysburg, Aces of the Deep, Silent Hunter Commander's Edition, etc... Even CIV1 despite all the later automation provided in the series had a comfortable and fast paced game play that was not able to recaptured with later renditions.

I do not mean to imply the CCAW surpasses CAW. However, there is no reason why core AI and game play cannot be comparable. The more I play old games, the more I am suprised by just how good some of them were, but it has all been forgotten due to the race for flash and glimmer.

Flash will keep me amused for a few days to a week. But quality AI, game play, and balance can keep me amused for years.

Duck Doc -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 8:05:17 PM)

I agree completely. Gameplay trumps eye candy for me too.

I am a Civ fan & questioned the move to 3D for Civ4. I thought they could have made a great game by simply improving the game engine but staying with 2D.

However considering the success of the Civ franchise it is a good thing they don't listen to me [:D].

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

... Even CIV1 despite all the later automation provided in the series had a comfortable and fast paced game play that was not able to recaptured with later renditions.

Flash will keep me amused for a few days to a week. But quality AI, game play, and balance can keep me amused for years.

HansBolter -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/27/2007 10:40:08 PM)

Wow Markshot those screenshots sure do conjure up some fine old memories. [;)]

I am sure I have the original box and disks (probably rusted by now [8|]) on the shelf somewhere.

pad152 -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/28/2007 12:12:50 AM)

Hey, what was the name of that SSG game about the night operations of Bomber Command in WWII?

sullafelix -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/28/2007 12:19:07 AM)

I got nostalgic over this thread and found my old CCAW. I now remember the problem that I had. When I try to install it, the install screen is all garbled. I tried lookig up the problem on SSG but they have nothing from that far back. I also googled it but to no avail. Anyone? Thanks.

kaleidoscope -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/28/2007 2:10:27 AM)

I remember the same problem. You may need to tap the
enter key a few times during installation to answer
default installation questions. The game itself looked
and played fine,it was only the installation process was garbled.

MarkShot -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/28/2007 2:12:09 AM)

Sulla05,

Your questions are answered here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1487713

JungleJim99 -> RE: WOW, I didn't know I was DEAD, did you? (6/28/2007 6:46:22 AM)

Europe Ablaze is the WWII bomer command game you are thinking of. I played it on my old Apple IIe - Good Times [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI