CAW (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Carriers At War

Richard III -> CAW (7/2/2007 2:14:13 AM)

As an old long ago fan of the original CAW I have the new version, have read the Manual and tried the tutorial, however some questions come up that don`t seem to be in my readings :

Do I really need to do anything besides arming the strike at night in prep for a early Morning launch ?

Why wouldn`t I want to arm every AC I can ? Is it possible, or even useful, to hold some back some for a second strike as the sightings change or firm up ?

As far as getting a strike off fast, are all AC assumed to be armed below and brought up and launched, or are any spotted on deck armed ready to go in the AM ?

Assuming no flight deck damage, how much time between recovery, rearming, and launch can I factor into a battle ? ( or is this info listed somewhere in the interface ? )

Does the Weather Fronts really effect the incoming strike results ? Doesn`t seem to in several trys at Wake.

Are the incoming strike AC numbers accurate ? Again playing Wake as the US, I`m seeing 150+ first strike incoming all the time, I don`t think any 2 Japanese Fleet Carriers had that complement of AC.

And as an observation, in several Wake as US playings, assuming the combat results I`m seeing are accurate, I don`t see how after both Japanese CV`s take 3-4 bomb hits each from my first strike, they can launch 3 - 4 cohesive strikes [X(] of 40-80 planes the rest of the day.

Does playing with the search AC interface in terms of numbers of AC and directions effect the results at all ?

16.3.7 of the manual says the Airstrike " red cancel/recall button is on the Carrier Screen" , however I can`t find it in the tooltips nore does hitting the airstrike button re-call the strike ?

Doesn`t the Victory Screen show the specific ships sunk ? Again, after hitting the remaining Japanese CV with 5 more bombs and 3 torps late in the scenario the Victory Screen only shows 1 of their CV`s lost ?? I think that would be a useful enhancement.

As always, all help appreciated, and sorry about keeping aadding questions with editing. Better then new posts I hope.

82nd Airborne -> RE: CAW (7/3/2007 12:25:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Do I really need to do anything besides arming the strike at night in prep for a early Morning launch ?

no
quote:

Why wouldn`t I want to arm every AC I can ? Is it possible, or even useful, to hold some back some for a second strike as the sightings change or firm up ?
only reason I wouldn't arm is if I thought I was going to get hit before having a chance to launch. Second question, I'd say yes it is sometimes worth holding some back from 'launching' (not arming) to have for other targets.
quote:

As far as getting a strike off fast, are all AC assumed to be armed below and brought up and launched, or are any spotted on deck armed ready to go in the AM ?

not sure what the intention is , but by my estimation they are all on deck and ready to launch extremely quickly
quote:

Assuming no flight deck damage, how much time between recovery, rearming, and launch can I factor into a battle ? ( or is this info listed somewhere in the interface ? )

it appears the turnaround cycle is ahistorically lightning fast and if you manipulate it correctly you can almost have them rearmed and flying off the opposite end they landed on. [:D]
quote:

Does the Weather Fronts really effect the incoming strike results ? Doesn`t seem to in several trys at Wake.

seems very much so to me. cloud cover is a beautiful thing on defense.
quote:

Are the incoming strike AC numbers accurate ? Again playing Wake as the US, I`m seeing 150+ first strike incoming all the time, I don`t think any 2 Japanese Fleet Carriers had that complement of AC.

good question. i have no idea
quote:

And as an observation, in several Wake as US playings, assuming the combat results I`m seeing are accurate, I don`t see how after both Japanese CV`s take 3-4 bomb hits each from my first strike, they can launch 3 - 4 cohesive strikes [X(] of 40-80 planes the rest of the day.

there is a toggle to have 'accurate' reports on your fliers attacks or 'realistic' which really means 'who really knows what happened' It is recommended to play the latter, and it sounds like you do indeed have this toggled correctly.
quote:

Does playing with the search AC interface in terms of numbers of AC and directions effect the results at all ?

not sure I follow you. you need to search a section to find anything. most of the time you'll only be searching 3-5 arrow points. each search plane has an independant 'roll' to find so more planes in an area will theoretically increase your odds at the expense of less dive bombers on a future strike.
quote:

16.3.7 of the manual says the Airstrike " red cancel/recall button is on the Carrier Screen" , however I can`t find it in the tooltips nore does hitting the airstrike button re-call the strike ?

its worked for me before.
quote:

Doesn`t the Victory Screen show the specific ships sunk ? Again, after hitting the remaining Japanese CV with 5 more bombs and 3 torps late in the scenario the Victory Screen only shows 1 of their CV`s lost ?? I think that would be a useful enhancement.

As always, all help appreciated, and sorry about keeping aadding questions with editing. Better then new posts I hope.

at the victory screen is when you do get the accurate results of those wildly inflated pilot reports of 5 bomb hits and such. hover your mouse over the ships sunk and it will show you which were and which were damaged and how much.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI