WITP and Vista (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

Captain Ed -> WITP and Vista (7/5/2007 2:04:50 AM)

I am about to buy a laptop that has Vista of course. I have my desktop running XP. I plan to use my laptop on vacation to play WITP. Is there any issues with sending PBEM turns from my laptop to my desktop or to my PBEM partner who may or may not have
Vista. Does WITP even run under Vista.??

RUPD3658 -> RE: WITP and Vista (7/5/2007 2:11:10 AM)

I ran it on my laptop, which is also infected with Vista[:@], and sent turns without any problems.

The istall was very slow since Vista had to "Protect" me by taking 10 minutes to scan the .exe file before asking me if I really, really wanted to run the install file.

pompack -> RE: WITP and Vista (7/5/2007 8:24:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Ed

I am about to buy a laptop that has Vista of course. I have my desktop running XP. I plan to use my laptop on vacation to play WITP. Is there any issues with sending PBEM turns from my laptop to my desktop or to my PBEM partner who may or may not have
Vista. Does WITP even run under Vista.??

Vista is indeed an infestation that unfortunately you have to deal with if you need a new computer.

WitP: INSTALL IN ROOT PER THE DEFAULT LOAD PROCEDURE!. This was a painful lesson that took me a lot of time to realize (and some expert advice from Swift provided the turning point in my struggle with Vista). I have always installed in Program Files in XP and earlier, but with Vista you MUST install in root or it will not operate
reliably (in my case I could not access the save files except while running WitP which made it difficult to mail PBEM turns)

Performance: At first I had significant performance issues but eventually I determined that I was running the equivilent of 75% CPU load (single core) in background processes. While not strictly a Vista issue, this was due to the manufacturor graciously providing a number of "helpful" background processes; once I tracked down and halted a number of these, the background load dropped to 41% (single core) and WitP ran significantly faster with Vista (and dual core processor) than with XP on a faster (single core) machine

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: WITP and Vista (7/5/2007 7:15:34 PM)

Similar experience as described by the above really.

Be thankful that matrix products do not auto go into the 'program files' directory which seems to be 'protected' form the guy who owns the machine [:@]

I'm sure any decent hacker can alter my game files but i know i can't !

Anyhooo i'm using dual processors and have had a huge speed increase (had to slow the scroll speed dramically in the options menu). Dont play a lot vs the AI but i did try it out and the turns went significantly faster (i.e not making a cup of tea every go [;)])

In summary, I loate Vista esp some of the 'extras' but WITP does work well on it (much to my suprise).

good luck

Reg -> RE: WITP and Vista (7/6/2007 11:45:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

Vista is indeed an infestation that unfortunately you have to deal with if you need a new computer.

Actually I noticed in the latest junk fax (how do they get away with that??) that Dell in Australia are offering XP versions of most of their computer packages.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI