RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 7:27:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

The siberian myth I object to, and which was noted in "that other thread" is that he Winter counter offensives by the Soviet union were all carried out by Siberian units, veterans who had been secretly assembled en-masse and were used in a single crushing blow.

That is the essence of hte position I object to.

As I have mentioned, 20 fresh Siberian divisions took part in the counterattack along with 80 worn out divisions.

So we are in agreement.

quote:

Yes Siberian units were shipped from the far east - but 40 divisions were kept there, twice as many as were sent.

Sorry, but you have your facts wrong.

There were 40 in total - 20 were sent west, leaving 20 remaining.

quote:

No they were not veterans - their conscripts had not seen any action because the nomohon "incident" had occured befoer they weer called up - it's simple math - look up the dates!

Where is your source?

quote:

No they were not especially equipped with winter clothing - the Russians had made great advances in winter equipment across their entire army, and many regular units had winter clothing.

Not sure why you are argung this. The Soviets were simply prepared for winter; the Germans were not.

quote:

No they were not specially trained for winter warfare - again the soviet army had ben trying to correct the obvious problems from the Winter war for the previous 18 months across all units, including winter operational training.

Who said they were specially trained for winter warfare?

quote:

Of those 20 or so divisions, at least some were committed to battle long before the winter offensives.

Some arrived in Oct/41. They may have been committed. But we need sources for this.

quote:

I'm interested in where you get those specific deployments from - I have not read that anywhere - do you have a reference?

See Alan Clark above.

quote:

all of these dilute the myth that the Siberians were a sudden surprise. When I have the rest of the numbers I shall give them to you.

The Siberians were a surprise. 18 Siberian divisions attacked the Germans from the north of Moscow after being engaged by 80 worn out Soviet divisions.

quote:

Oh and for an overview of how we got to teh poor understanding we have of hte Soviet war effort I can thoroughly recommend Glantz's article at http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/documents/e-front.htm

Interesting article. It was written in 1987. What does it provce about the Siberians? Nothing.

If you had read that article completely you would also see where the author greatly cautions us when using Soviet sources.

In other words, be critical, use a wide variety of sources, check facts, and use sources.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 7:34:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: IrishDragoonGuards

Hey .. can I play too ... [8|]

Sorry guys - didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.

I have said all I have needed to say.

IrishGuards -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 7:39:45 AM)

When you talk about the amount of div's sent .. and when .. lets bare in mind before the big Z even attacked he had and did use the ability to SR and reinforce the Sovie Far East //
Then he attacked .. overwhelming superiority .. Hey he says lets bring in 1000 tanks and 1000 air .. oh dear .. this is wher the bulk of Siberians or Far East forces come from in my mind .. whenever they arrive .. [;)]
Japs folded like a hand fan .. and then the USSR troops were not essential for the front ..
The Japs would have to spend a fortune to even begin to adjust the Strategic balance ..
And thats with them owning the seas .. saw nay Cv's in air strike mode over Vlad ..
Russia had sent there best "Commander" he did the job and then some ..
No it was not Europe ..
At War though .. !! [&o]
IDG

SMK-at-work -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 7:42:31 AM)

quote:

Interesting article. It was written in 1987. What does it provce about the Siberians? Nothing.

sigh.....and where did I say it did? 

I said quite specifically that it gives some background as to why we accept the stories that have come to us from WW2, and it notes teh serious shortcomings of hte sources of those stories - namely the post-war German histories that are one-sided.

Geoffrey Jukes, The Second World War - The Eastern Front 1941–1945, Osprey, 2002, pg 42 - the Soviets had assembled 58 divisions in reserve by December 1940. A maximum of 20 could have been siberian, according to your figures.....or 33%.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 7:49:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

quote:

sigh.....and where did I say it did?

I said quite specifically that it gives some background as to why we accept the stories that have come to us from WW2, and it notes teh serious shortcomings of hte sources of those stories - namely the post-war German histories that are one-sided.

The article also states we should be very cautious of Soviet authors as well, but you neglected to mention that.

The article was written in 1987. Almost all of my sources are from 1995 and onwards, so the historians would have been aware of Zhukov's book as well as new material from the Soviet archives, and yet their views regarding the Siberian troops remains essentially as I have written it. I haven't read about any big surprises.

In fact many of our views are in agreement.

Vypuero -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/11/2007 4:22:50 PM)

I read through the section on the W41 battles around Moscow in the book "When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler" - which uses a lot of Soviet archive information.  There is no particular mention of the Siberians, BUT in general the focus is on how the Soviets had a remarkable ability to marshall large reserves and reserve armies.

SMK-at-work -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 7:35:53 AM)

The only way I could mention everything that the article mentions is to reproduce hte article - that's why I gave a link.....so you could go read it for yourself.  Since I haven't quoted any Soviet authors the point about using soviet authors with caution is pretty moot!![>:][>:]

targul -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 10:22:25 AM)

November 18th, 1941...German troops attacking Venev, on the southern pincer drive to Moscow, are themselves counterattacked by a Siberian division and armored brigade. These forces bring something new to the battlefield: white fur coats for the Siberian infantry and the T-34 tank, whose American Christie suspension, sloping armor, and 76mm gun make it one of the most powerful in the world. The Germans fight back, but the extreme cold freezes their automatic weapons. The Germans panic. "This was the first time that such a thing had occurred during the Russian campaign, and it was a warning that the combat ability of our infantry was at an end, and that they should no longer be expected to perform difficult tasks." However, German General Franz Halder notes in his diary that "the Soviets had nothing left in the rear, and his predicament is probably even worse than ours." by David Lippman

Uhmm, seems strange that this quote is available from Novemerber 18 1941 that the T-34 Tank was meet and Siberian Infantry.  Since according to some on this board these are both myths.  This Germany General here is obviously trying to explain his loss near Moscow so he invented the T34 and the 2 Siberian Divisions.  Nice touch him giving the white fur coats.  This guy obviously knew we would fall for this in history.

targul -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 10:35:28 AM)

As the German drive against Moscow slackened, the Soviet
commander on the Moscow front, General Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov,
on December 6 inaugurated the first great counteroffensive with
strokes against Bock's right in the Elets (Yelets) and Tula sectors
south of Moscow and against his center in the Klin and Kalinin sectors
to the northwest. Levies of Siberian troops, who were extremely
effective fighters in cold weather, were used for these offensives.
There followed a blow at the German left, in the Velikie Luki sector;
and the counteroffensive, which was sustained throughout the winter of
1941-42, soon took the form of a triple convergence toward Smolensk.  From Russia WWII Offensive 1941 Essay

Again on Dec 6. 1941 these mythical Siberian troops show up as effective fighters in Cold Weather.  These authors should really read this board so they can find what they are writting about does not really exist.  College students Thesis and Essays from sources that just dont exist should not be allowed to be published as they seem to be.  You would think the professors examining those thesis' would simply not except this myth but they continue to allow it.

targul -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 10:46:45 AM)

However, handicapped by the extreme cold and thoroughly exhausted, the Axis troops were completely and utterly unable to make any further advances towards the Soviet capital. After everything that they had done to lead up to that moment, they couldn't find the energy or will to commence the invasion of the city itself. However, by then, Moscow itself was literally transformed into a fortress. About 250,000 women and teenagers continued to work and toil, building hundreds of further trenches around Moscow, moving almost 3 million cubic meters of earth with no mechanical help. Every single factory in Moscow was contributing to the war effort in any possible way. In addition, fresh Soviet Siberian troops, prepared for winter warfare, attacked the German forces in the outskirts of Moscow. Miraculously, by January of 1942, had driven the Germans back 100 to 250 kilometers (60 to 150 miles), ending the immediate threat to Moscow and marking the closest that the Axis forces ever got to capturing the Soviet capital. At last, the Soviets had successfully forced the German invaders out from the Soviet capital. The Battle of Moscow is therefore usually considered one of the most important battles in the war between the Axis Powers and the Soviet Union, mainly because the Soviets were able to successfully prevent the most serious threat to their capital. The battle was also one of the largest and bloodiest battles during World War II, with over 1 million total casualties. Also, the battle marked a major turning point in the war, as it was the first time that the German Army was forced into a major retreat since the beginning of the war. The Soviet defeat of the Germans was therefore not only crucial, but miraculous in the overall picture of World War II. Overall, because it determined the fate of the Soviet Union in World War II, the Battle of Moscow was without doubt one of the most crucial and decisive battles of World War II.  From World War II Tanks the Eastern Front The Battle for Moscow

Fresh Soviet Siberians trained in Winter Warfare.  How can this be?  Why do I keep seeing these quotes everywhere when I know from this board that the Siberians are a myth and that they were not at Moscow.  I am so confused.

SMK-at-work -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 2:02:29 PM)

Yawn..yeah...every Fresh Soviet formation was Siberian.......and every German AT gun was an 88, and every tank a Tiger.......

firepowerjohan -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 2:17:47 PM)

IMO I do not think this should matter much to gameplay. USSR have their production points and can buy any units they want. Locking Siberians to arrive at certain date, certain strength and certain tech does not fit with the random research and random weather. Same argument could be that when Barbarossa start USSR and Germany should have this or that tank available or that the mud or winter should start at a certain date in 1941. We have random factors in game to avoid such predictability [:)]

It was a design decision to put as much of the Economy into the players hands and that is also why we allow neutral major countries to conduct research and purchase/place units all the way from 1939, to provide variation.

Hard Sarge -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 3:02:00 PM)

I been saying that from the begining, that is why the Russians have a large Manpower edge and production edge, they can buy the reinforcements

now, I am not so sure of the starting OOB for the different sides, but that is for another post, but the player can build any reinforcements they want to have

at times it is what the player is buying that may be the weakness, it is Nov and you got 300 PP, do you buy a Commander, a plane and a tank, or do you buy 10 Inf Corps ?

Dave Ferguson -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 3:05:08 PM)

OK, i just did some checking.

according to Glantz' 'Stumbling Colossus' there were approx 25 rifle divisions in Siberia, Central Asia and Trans-Biakal on 22 June 1941.

a large number of new divisions were mobilised in those areas.

From a russian website via babelfish to aid translation.

It appears that 5 of those divisions were transferred to active armies by the 1st of October.

At this time the soviets had over 100 divisions in reserve, non active fronts etc.

the same site still shows over 100 divisions in reserve for 1 Jan 42, including a lot of the original divisions still in siberia.

Glantz says over 190 divisions were transferred west by December 1941.

So the germans did see lots of 'Siberian' divisions in the Moscow camapaign but they were mostly new formations and not the original June 41 veterans.. They were not full establishment divisions but compared with the soviet formations already in the line were rested and had relatively well trained as they had a few months between mobilization and commitment.

They did not arrive in one big mass though, rather as a steady stream plus numbers went into reserve armies which the germans either ran into or were committed in the counter offensive.

i could spend a day or so tracking every division !!!!!!!!

Hope this muddies the water [:)]

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 3:41:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: firepowerjohan

IMO I do not think this should matter much to gameplay. USSR have their production points and can buy any units they want. Locking Siberians to arrive at certain date, certain strength and certain tech does not fit with the random research and random weather. Same argument could be that when Barbarossa start USSR and Germany should have this or that tank available or that the mud or winter should start at a certain date in 1941. We have random factors in game to avoid such predictability [:)]

It was a design decision to put as much of the Economy into the players hands and that is also why we allow neutral major countries to conduct research and purchase/place units all the way from 1939, to provide variation.

This may be the best way to handle things [:)]

The USSR should have a large pool of manpower and PPs. Or at the very least receive a "production/manpower" boost via events randomly sometime between Nov/41 and Jan/42 to account for a transfer of reserves.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:02:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Ferguson

OK, i just did some checking.

according to Glantz' 'Stumbling Colossus' there were approx 25 rifle divisions in Siberia, Central Asia and Trans-Biakal on 22 June 1941.

a large number of new divisions were mobilised in those areas.

From a russian website via babelfish to aid translation.

It appears that 5 of those divisions were transferred to active armies by the 1st of October.

At this time the soviets had over 100 divisions in reserve, non active fronts etc.

the same site still shows over 100 divisions in reserve for 1 Jan 42, including a lot of the original divisions still in siberia.

Glantz says over 190 divisions were transferred west by December 1941.

So the germans did see lots of 'Siberian' divisions in the Moscow camapaign but they were mostly new formations and not the original June 41 veterans.. They were not full establishment divisions but compared with the soviet formations already in the line were rested and had relatively well trained as they had a few months between mobilization and commitment.

They did not arrive in one big mass though, rather as a steady stream plus numbers went into reserve armies which the germans either ran into or were committed in the counter offensive.

i could spend a day or so tracking every division !!!!!!!!

Hope this muddies the water [:)]

Hi Dave [:)]

Some of those numbers just seem out of whack.

I will refer to Alan Clark's book "Barbarossa" for my facts, since websites, etc can contain all sorts of incomplete information.

Here is what Clark says about the Siberians [page 170]:

"The total brought from the Far East in the winter of 1941 included seventeen hundred tanks and fifteen hundred aircraft, and was made up as follows:

Transbaikalia:
seven rifle, two cavalry divisions, two tank brigades

Outer Mongolia: one rifle division, two tank brigades

Amur: two rifle divisions, one tank brigade

Ussuri: five rifle divisions, one cavalry division, three tank brigades"

So here we have 17 rifle divisions and 8 tank brigades that were transferred west to the Moscow area from Siberia. Many of these divisions were at full strength and were experienced

Almost 20 reserve rifle divisions were left in Siberia as a precaution in case Japan made a move into Siberia.

In addition to the 17 fresh Siberian divisions, almost 80 under-strength, worn out Soviet divisions were transferred from other Soviet fronts to Moscow.

Anthony Beever, in his book "Stalingrad" mentions that "The Siberian divisions, including many ski-troop battalions, formed only part of the counter-attack force.... (page 40-41)".

LitFuel -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:07:17 PM)

quote:

And a good design decision it was...don't listen to a few guys who want history(or depending on what book you read) recreated. All they want is history replayed instead of playing a game that can change. I came to play a game that is not always predictable. If you want things to happen every time on a certain date and trigger this or that play HOI. Some forget how to have fun.

Vypuero -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:14:38 PM)

I read Alan's book and it is very good, BUT he wrote it before he had access to all of the Soviet archives.  This means an over-reliance on German sources.  The book I mentioned says nothing at all about Siberians.  I am sure that, indeed, there were some.  However, it was simply the fresh reserve armies when the Germans kept expecting to think "They must be wiped out by NOW, surely!" but they were NOT!  What better way to explain a failure than to exaggerate the "extra forces from Siberia" that they speak of?  Point is - they existed, but their true impact was exaggerated.

Also - in our game, the Russians get a mobilization boost in October of 1941!  This gives them more points.  PLUS by then the first of your convoys may have arrived (that extra lend-lease) and is sometimes 100+ points.  That is enough, alone, for 3 corps, plus the boost for a few more.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:33:41 PM)

The following are facts regarding several Soviet Armies that were formed in the Far East:

The Soviet First Army (also called First Red Banner Army) was a Soviet field army of World War II that served in the Russian Far East.

The First Army was created in July 1938 under the name of the First Coastal Army. Its first commander was the later Marshal of the Soviet Union, Andrei Yeremenko. It was immediately allocated to the far east, where it was a key element of the Soviet Pacific Fleet. Several border skirmishes between the Red Army and the Imperial Japanese Army, such as the Battle of Halhin Gol took place until, in July 1940, two years after its formation, the First Coastal Army was transformed into the First Independent Red Banner Army in the far east.

The Soviet Second Army (also called Second Red Banner Army) was a Soviet field army of World War II that served in the Far East as part of the Soviet Far East Front.

The Second Army was created in July 1938 on the far eastern frontiers of the Soviet Union. In September 1940, two months after its formation, the Second Army was transformed into the Second Independent Red Banner Army in the far east. In July 1940, the Second Army was once again allocated to the far east, this time under the name of the Second Red Banner Army.

Composition July 22, 1941

* Headquarters
* 3rd Rifle Division
* 12th Rifle Division
* 59th Tank Division
* 69th Mechanized Division

The 15th Army was active in the Far East Military District before Operation Barbarossa began. It was probably formed between September 1939 and December 1940.

The 25th Army - began war in Far East Military District. In June 1941 it comprised the 39th Rifle Corps with 32nd Rifle Division, 40th, and 92nd Rifle Divisions, plus 105th Rifle Division as Army troops.

The 35th Army - formed in June-July 1941, joined Far Eastern Front. Within Far Eastern Front comprised 35th, 66th, 78th Rifle Divisions and 109th Fortified Region.

The 36th Army - HQ formed between 22 June 1941 and August 1941 in the Transbaikal Military District.

The 53rd Army - was involved in the crushing defeat of Japan in 1939.

Here is an example of the Order of Battle for a Soviet Army:

17th Army:

* 209th Rifle Division
* 278th Rifle Division
* 284th Rifle Division
* 70th Separate Tank Battalion
* 82nd Separate Tank Battalion
* 56th Tank Destroyer Artillery Brigade
* 185th Gun Artillery Regiment
* 413th Howitzer Artillery Regiment
* 1910th Tank Destroyer Regiment
* 178th Mortar Regiment
* 39th Guards Mortar Regiment
* 1916th Antiaircraft Artillery Regiment
* 66th Separate Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
* 282nd Separate Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
* 67th Mortar Brigade

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:39:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vypuero

I read Alan's book and it is very good, BUT he wrote it before he had access to all of the Soviet archives. This means an over-reliance on German sources. The book I mentioned says nothing at all about Siberians. I am sure that, indeed, there were some. However, it was simply the fresh reserve armies when the Germans kept expecting to think "They must be wiped out by NOW, surely!" but they were NOT! What better way to explain a failure than to exaggerate the "extra forces from Siberia" that they speak of? Point is - they existed, but their true impact was exaggerated.

Also - in our game, the Russians get a mobilization boost in October of 1941! This gives them more points. PLUS by then the first of your convoys may have arrived (that extra lend-lease) and is sometimes 100+ points. That is enough, alone, for 3 corps, plus the boost for a few more.

Hi :)

Clark's book was first written in 1965. It was then revised in 1995.

Please read Clark's Introduction and Preface to the new edition (1995). Here he states after examining the newly released Soviet material, that he found nothing that would cause him to alter anything substantial in his book.

In fact, I have read nothing that would alter his findings, and his book still remains a classic work on the German-Soviet struggle.

Dave Ferguson -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:39:59 PM)

OK Glantz says that there were 25 'original' siberian divisions in june 41
5 were transferred before October
another 8-10 were transferred during Nov/Dec
units transferred were replaced by freshly raised troops, keeping the total facing Japan roughly the same.

In Eriksons 'Road to Stalingrad' it says that the russians had at the beginning of December 9 uncommited armies with 59 rifle divisions and 17 cavalry divisions. These were the substantial reserves which the germans did not think the russians had. They were gathered together by systematically starving the frontline armies of reinforcements, even the soviet army command was not really aware that they existed. They were lacking in manpower and equipment but came as a shock to the germans. These were the 'Siberians' that gave rise to the myth.

So if the game allows the russian player to build a several corps reserve by December it should be OK with no need for changes.

Dave

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 4:47:31 PM)

quote:

I read through the section on the W41 battles around Moscow in the book "When Titans Clashed: How the Red Army Stopped Hitler" - which uses a lot of Soviet archive information. There is no particular mention of the Siberians, BUT in general the focus is on how the Soviets had a remarkable ability to marshall large reserves and reserve armies.

Hi :)

I won't go into detail regarding Glantz's book, but Glantz has been criticized for going into detail on some areas while giving other areas only a cursory examination.

In particular, in the above book, Glantz uses ONLY Soviet material. So it is one-sided. He also gives an over reliance to Stalin's involvement, and neglects some areas entirely.

Glantz is a fine historian but some of his work is not without some criticism.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 5:07:13 PM)

quote:

OK Glantz says that there were 25 'original' siberian divisions in june 41
5 were transferred before October
another 8-10 were transferred during Nov/Dec
units transferred were replaced by freshly raised troops, keeping the total facing Japan roughly the same.

In Eriksons 'Road to Stalingrad' it says that the russians had at the beginning of December 9 uncommited armies with 59 rifle divisions and 17 cavalry divisions. These were the substantial reserves which the germans did not think the russians had. They were gathered together by systematically starving the frontline armies of reinforcements, even the soviet army command was not really aware that they existed. They were lacking in manpower and equipment but came as a shock to the germans. These were the 'Siberians' that gave rise to the myth.

So if the game allows the russian player to build a several corps reserve by December it should be OK with no need for changes.

Dave

Hi Dave

This seems to be pretty close to my sources as well [:)]

So in the above book Glantz does look at the Siberian troops.

And I agree that if the game allows the Soviet player to build more reserves then that should help account for the reinforcements.

Dave Ferguson -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 6:18:51 PM)

Yes, Glantz 'Stumbling Colossus' is a revealing insight into the Soviet forces at the start of the war. He has written a companion volume 'Colossus Reborn'? which covers the rebuilding of the soviet war machine through 1942 etc. These are not histories of the war but include lots of soviet material previously unavailable.

If you like operational level accounts his Atlases are excellent if expensive. eg if you want to know the location of every german unit on 11 August 1941, the atlas will show you.

for the Western Front try the Library of Congress where you will find a daily situation map for the allied armies from June 44 to May 45, again divisional level.

Dave

Vypuero -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 7:30:56 PM)

I used these materials in the scenarios, but remember that the scale the game builder's wanted was much fewer units, so I had to revise all of my OOBs down to get to the smaller numbers they wanted (i.e. the scale went up).  That is another reason why the Russians have Garrisons on the front and Corps in reserve.  This way, the Axis can get the effect of the blast of Barbarossa at the start, followed by rapid advance and then they will run into increasingly strong Russian resistance.  At least, that is what I am trying to achieve!  Since the game takes very long to play with humans, and the AI is not quite the same, it is very difficult to get the right balance.  Also, keep in mind the starting Russian forces on the map are supplemented by roughly 1,000 PP up until the point where the war starts.  Also, the closer objectives have as low a value as I could assign, with the rear cities having high values to reflect the movement of production and factories there.

Interesting note - if you look at GDP for Russia and Germany, you will see that Russia has a LOT moe PP relative to their GDP than does Germany.  I have GDP figures for every country on the map during the WW II timeframe.  The reason is, that Russia used a vast portion of that GDP on war expenditures vs Germany or the US.  That was because simple necessities the West had were pretty much non-existant in much of Russia, and it just got worse as the war went on.  Somewhere I read an interesting analysis of the economy and its potential collapse.  It got very close to that point.  That is why it is a reasonable argument the Russians may have collapsed with the loss of more territory, for instance if Moscow, Stalingrad, and Leningrad had fallen, there is a good chance it would have been a true point of no return.

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 7:46:07 PM)

quote:

Yes, Glantz 'Stumbling Colossus' is a revealing insight into the Soviet forces at the start of the war. He has written a companion volume 'Colossus Reborn'? which covers the rebuilding of the soviet war machine through 1942 etc. These are not histories of the war but include lots of soviet material previously unavailable.

If you like operational level accounts his Atlases are excellent if expensive. eg if you want to know the location of every german unit on 11 August 1941, the atlas will show you.

for the Western Front try the Library of Congress where you will find a daily situation map for the allied armies from June 44 to May 45, again divisional level.

Dave

Thanks for the recommendations.

One thing Glantz does well is crunch numbers and go into detail on all units involved in a battle/campaign... His research is invaluable in that regard. [:)]

Warfare1 -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 7:55:54 PM)

quote:

I used these materials in the scenarios, but remember that the scale the game builder's wanted was much fewer units, so I had to revise all of my OOBs down to get to the smaller numbers they wanted (i.e. the scale went up). That is another reason why the Russians have Garrisons on the front and Corps in reserve. This way, the Axis can get the effect of the blast of Barbarossa at the start, followed by rapid advance and then they will run into increasingly strong Russian resistance. At least, that is what I am trying to achieve! Since the game takes very long to play with humans, and the AI is not quite the same, it is very difficult to get the right balance. Also, keep in mind the starting Russian forces on the map are supplemented by roughly 1,000 PP up until the point where the war starts. Also, the closer objectives have as low a value as I could assign, with the rear cities having high values to reflect the movement of production and factories there.

Interesting note - if you look at GDP for Russia and Germany, you will see that Russia has a LOT moe PP relative to their GDP than does Germany. I have GDP figures for every country on the map during the WW II timeframe. The reason is, that Russia used a vast portion of that GDP on war expenditures vs Germany or the US. That was because simple necessities the West had were pretty much non-existant in much of Russia, and it just got worse as the war went on. Somewhere I read an interesting analysis of the economy and its potential collapse. It got very close to that point. That is why it is a reasonable argument the Russians may have collapsed with the loss of more territory, for instance if Moscow, Stalingrad, and Leningrad had fallen, there is a good chance it would have been a true point of no return.

Hi Vypuero:

You do have a difficult job :)

As I understand it you are trying to balance the game as per the developers request. Must be fun ;)

Possibly one way to help account for Soviet reinforcements would be to have it as a toggle option. The player could be given the option of having Soviet reinforcements enter randomly sometime between Oct/41 to Jan/42. These reinforcements should not happen automatically, since they were contingent on what the Japanese were going to do in late 1941.

This "reinforcement option" could take the form of more Production Points.

The Axis player should always be faced with hordes of Soviet armies, and it should be very difficult to knock the USSR out of the war. In addition, perhaps make it so that the Axis player would have to capture and hold Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad before the USSR surrenders.

There is some debate (and not without merit) that had Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad fallen into German hands, the Soviets would have been hard-pressed to continue the war.

targul -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 9:14:36 PM)

quote:

No one said Siberians must arrive at a certain time or in a certain quantitiy and I do not understand people keeping saying that. I just want a game that reflects some history, providing adequate Russian forces at there most critical time to be reflected in this game.

Your point system at this point has not worked. I believe in Human play there are now enough examples that people are just not winning as the Allies. We have two reported wins whille the Axis is having a gay time romping around the world.

Also some of us wish to play historical games and some not so why not make one of your scenarios historical while others can then play the fantasy WWII.

This idea that games will not be fun if they reflect history is one most gaming companies have used and have been unsuccessful with. Yes there definitely needs to be a fun factor in the games but most people do not want a fudge (cheat) factor to accomplish this. As far as I can tell there are only two companies attempting to do historical correct fun WWII games so that market is fairly open while the fantasy market is huge but crowded.

I am sincerly hoping I see improvement in the techincal and game problems. Your patch list appears good and some of the remarks I have seen on the boards makes me also think it will but I remain concerned that you will ignore history to accomplish anything hoping to gain in the fantasy market.

Yogi the Great -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 9:39:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: targul

Also some of us wish to play historical games and some not so why not make one of your scenarios historical while others can then play the fantasy WWII.

I'm with targul on this. In fact I have tried to argue this myself on a number of game company forums. I never try to tell others that they can't enjoy their "fantasy" or unrealistic games. With scenarios there is no reason we can't all have what we want.

I have to admit that I do get tired of hearing that historical games always turn out the same, mean there can be no challenge and/or shouldn't be made.

Being part of recreating history can be a sort of "fantasy" in itself. The challenge is to take a situation ( battlefield - same units - power -etc.) and see how well you can do. Some of us just look at these things as a game loosely based on history. Others of us want it to be a simulation strongly based on history. Can't we all just get along? [:-]

LitFuel -> RE: First Reported Allied Victoy (7/12/2007 10:12:58 PM)

Just read these forums and you'll see ten different versions of what happened or what units were actually involved in supposed "History"...so who's version do you use and to what extent(hell, new books come out every year giving the new history with supposed new information)?

Everyone has their own agenda that's plain to see. it doesn't always make your "history' accurate or even realistic so in that case your right you are also playing a fantasy in some ways.

I think the main thing is to give us the tools to work with in a fun system that's playable and as close to history without holding our hands through it. I think they did a pretty good job already with that. Major changes are really not needed.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI