new to game, got questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> American Civil War – The Blue and the Gray

scout1 -> new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 3:54:46 AM)

1) Do I really have to disband an entire unit to extract 1 unit out of it and then recombine the rest ? Seems like quite the waste ?

2) Command structure appears to be very important. Is there a way to global view the various command structures as to who is in charge, what do they have and where are they at (in typical TOE format, ie not tied to viewing stuff within the current region) ?

tiredoftryingnames -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 4:37:48 AM)

1) Edit: After going in and messing with it I realized what I described from memory was moving a unit attached directly to a corps or army to another corp or army. Divisions do need to be disbanded to reorganize as far as I can tell. I tried experienting with ways of getting bdes out of them and into other units and it didn't work.

2) If i'm picturing what you're asking for no.

Crimguy -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 7:04:00 AM)

You do need to disband divisons to get the units out of them, though (if that's what your talking about).  No way around that AFAIK.

Massattack -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 3:01:03 PM)

Re 2) there is a list view of all units, filtered by nato designated type symbols, under rosters I think. Not sure if this is quite what you are looking for.

Regards

Mike Solli -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 3:21:09 PM)

I'm new to this game too (got it at Origins).  I remember reading something about removing bdes from divisions.  Let me check.

Mike Solli -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 3:28:06 PM)

Here we go.  Found it.  Page 33 of the rule book.

Detaching units from a container

Hold down the ALT key and left click on a unit to detach it from the container.  This will immediately remove the unit from the container, and place it directly in the provence, without further orders.  This can be done for ships in fleets.

Crimguy -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 4:53:40 PM)

What version of the rules do you have? p 33 is talking about raids and fog of war in my manual.

Mike Solli -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 6:23:44 PM)

It's section 1.5.8 in the manual that came with the hard copy.

LMUBill -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 7:44:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Wrong manual. That's the FoF manual. the AACW manual doesn't have sections listed like that. And they don't have "containers" in AACW either....

Mike Solli -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 8:18:22 PM)

You mean there's 2 manuals?? [X(] OMG

jimwinsor -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 8:55:03 PM)

Two seperate games, actually...you are probably referring to a manual for a completely different civil war game (Forge of Freedom) rather than the game for this forum section (AGEOD's American Civil War).

Mike Solli -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/11/2007 9:14:12 PM)

Yeah, that's it.  *Slaps self*

tiredoftryingnames -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 12:27:14 AM)

[:D]Scrat is too busy with his nuts to worry about which game manual he's looking at.

Gray_Lensman -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 1:17:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

quote:

Wrong manual. That's the FoF manual. the AACW manual doesn't have sections listed like that. And they don't have "containers" in AACW either....

Actually, this is incorrect. On page 19 of the AACW manual it refers to units as formations of different sizes that act as "containers" for elements.

Gem35 -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 1:38:29 AM)

Now that the page numbers wre settled and all put into place, they are containers and if you are playing the good duys(USA) you had better be sure you really want to follow the command chain. Plenty of inactive Generals will result.[:(]

LMUBill -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 4:26:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: LMUBill

quote:

Actually, this is incorrect. On page 19 of the AACW manual it refers to units as formations of different sizes that act as "containers" for elements.

Actually I am correct. The containers Mike was referring to are the units in Fof that you have to purchase.... Army Container, Corps Container, etc. there aren't units like that in AACW. You could say that Army HQ's (and Division when they had them) act that way, which is probably why the manual puts them in quotations. But there aren't any actual units called "containers" in AACW.

Gray_Lensman -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 4:40:57 AM)

If the "AACW manual" actually states that units act as "containers" then my original statement still stands.

Pocus -> RE: new to game, got questions (7/12/2007 5:17:55 PM)

[:D] Hot debate there.

In AACW a stack is a container of units. But units also contains elements. The difference between an army/corps and a division is that an army or a corps is a stack, and not a single unit. A division in AACW is a unit.
The other difference with COG/FOF is that there is a hierarchical relationship between the army and the corps, whereas in these 2 games, an army is a bigger entity than a corps (can contains more), but there is no hierarchical dependency between the 2 entities. The games models differently the command chain concept here.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI