New here, would like some info on this game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Crown Of Glory Support

Hellmut34 -> New here, would like some info on this game (7/12/2007 3:29:05 PM)

Hi all,

I came to matrix to buy the Cross of iron game when i saw an advert for COG. Now then.............is this game worth the awards that it received? or would i be better of just buying the cross of iron game.

Both games seem to have alot of problems from what i have read here, but both seem to have good points as well.

I am a fan of both genres and owned close combat v2 to v5 . But i must admit that the napoleonic era is good for strategy. Please leave your comments. [&o]

SS_KONIG -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/12/2007 4:26:44 PM)

Hi Hellmut, i own copies of both games and you may have noticed i have posted problems about both also. If i was in your position i probably wouldn't bother with Cross of Iron its very similar to CC3 and if you go to the CSO Clan site you can get some great mods & map packs to give the Close Combat Games you already own a new feel, the major difference with Cross of Iron is the MMCC3 client allowing you to fight anywhere along the eastern front rather than following a linear preset path towards Moscow or Berlin. The only problem is that because the game is such a bitch to sort out and get to work that there are few opponents to be found on the client server. To put it in a nutshell most potential players/opponents have moved on to other games and in my oppinion the game is dead prematurely.

Crown of Glory is different, yes its buggy and H2H play is near impossible unless you just play one other person, then its just about playable (if you save regularly and take turns being the server so that you can change orders for army's & diplomats). Its a difficult game to learn but very rewarding you will get many hours of pleasure playing single player. Forge of freedom is also quite good and very similar to Crown of Glory but in my oppinion they would have been far better making Crown of Glory 2 as fighting in Europe is far more interesting giving the player many more strategic and diplomatic alternatives to winning the war. I also don't like the fact that in FOF the war only goes on for 4 years and there don't appear to be an option for changing this. You might want to check out Empires in Arms in the coming soon section in GAMES this looks interesting. Have you tried Imperial Glory it is available in most budget sections of game stores and in my oppinion is the Daddy of Napoleonic games!
Hope this helps KONIG

Hellmut34 -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/12/2007 5:54:57 PM)

Thanks for the reply SS_Konig you have been a great help. Yes i own alot of mods for CC3 and i guess it's better for me just to stick with that then.
Yes i used to play Imperial glory, but i found that the Napoleonic mod for MTW was better.
Imperial glory was great to look at, but i found that elite units didn't seem to be much better than militia. I also found terrain bonuses lacking and that most fights came down to the last unit standing. If there has been an update which fixed this let me know as it was beautiful to look at.
I think i will buy COG due to the complexity and tactics required.
Your reply has been great , thanks

Hellmut
[sm=00000436.gif]

JReb -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/12/2007 10:05:02 PM)

I would recommend COG to anybody. The game has a few warts but still provides a lot of fun.
The diplo-treaty making portion of the game is interesting. You can have the conquered foe- cede territory, not declare war for x number of years, borrow generals and entire armies, and others.
The detailed battles can become predictable but I still like bashing about and you can get surprised occasionally.

Economic area is a bit to digest but after awhile it becomes more understandable.
Players have to improve infrastructure in order to build better units. Higher level of barracks, docks, farms etc.

7 out of 10. Needs an update but still enjoyable.

Hellmut34 -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/13/2007 10:29:35 AM)

Well Jreb it's sold then Thanks.

In reply again to SS_Konig i have purchased a copy of Imperial glory for £4.99 from play.com after finding this Mods site

http://www.tafn.info/phpscripts/filesdb/

All the bugs that i hated so much seem to have been fixed here (particulary the militia strength)

Good stuff, thanks to you both [;)]

Gem35 -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/14/2007 5:20:38 AM)

I have owned CoG for a while now and always come back to it. It is alot of fun and has plenty of strategy options. You can play as a war machine or a political "pest" and everything in between. Learn the mechanics and you will have countless hours of fun with this title.
Good luck and enjoy it.

Hellmut34 -> RE: New here, would like some info on this game (7/14/2007 10:20:54 AM)

Thanks to you all, the game will be bought next week.

I look forward to it, im not too bothered about multiplayer so it looks a good bet that i will like it.[;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI