Mixed Review on 1.62 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball

motnahp -> Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 4:37:25 PM)

Skipped 1.61 and d-loaded 1.62. There is one issue I've found that probably needs immediate attention. I hesitate using the word "bug", so I'll go with "issue".

Association ended its regular season on October 2nd. My postseason series is scheduled to start on October 7th. For both of the participating teams, the ptchers who started on the 2nd are showing completely exhausted and 1% recovered. This sucks for one of the teams, since that pitcher is their #1 starter. [:(]. We'll see him in game three or four, I guess.

I got a reasonable number of complete games (three pitchers tied with 7 and three more with 6). Reliever appearance numbers were very good (leader had 73).

There are still some issues to be worked out with the starting pitchers making too many relief appearances. It seems as if they are still coming out of the bullpen frequently on the day before they are scheduled to start. Then, AI allows them to take their regular turn on the mound the next day when they are shown to be nowhere near recovered. Naturally, they are not effective. The team goes to the bullpen early, wears out its relievers, and thus continues a vicious cycle. As of now, I'll just have to put that one into the category of "be careful what you ask for". All things considered, though, I'd much rather have this than end up with a dozen relievers over 100 appearances.

Bustoff -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 5:08:40 PM)

I am pretty sure I saw this post-season pitcher fatigue issue in 1.61 as well. There does not seem to be any recovery in the gap between end of regular season and start of playoffs.

KG Erwin -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 7:36:30 PM)

Ooh -- that is a definite problem, then. The only workaround would be to make sure your number 1 starter gets a 3 or 4 day rest before the season ends, which means getting in a pinch if it's a tight race.

puresimmer -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 8:03:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bustoff

I am pretty sure I saw this post-season pitcher fatigue issue in 1.61 as well. There does not seem to be any recovery in the gap between end of regular season and start of playoffs.

Hmm. I'll have a look tonight. Should be an easy tweak.

KG, what season are you running where you having starters pitch in relief? Is it 1947?

KG Erwin -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 8:35:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

KG, what season are you running where you having starters pitch in relief? Is it 1947?

Shaun, it was motnahp that noticed this, not me.

motnahp -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 9:01:53 PM)

Assn is currently in 1983. I have another issue. This is one I know did not exist earlier.

I'm in the middle of the "World Series", having completed 4 games. Before the series, I make sure both teams have 4-man rotations and that no one's starts are skipped. Going into Game Five, to be played on Oct 12th, both of the scheduled starters are Completely Exhausted:

(1) Montreal's Bill Gullickson last pitched in Game One, on Oct 7th. He pitched 7 innings and threw 83 pitches. He is Completely Exhausted at 8% recovery on Oct 12th.

(2) Cincinnati's Bob Shirley last pitched in Game One, on Oct 7th. He pitched 6 innings and threw 73 pitches. He is Completely Exhausted at 10% recovery on Oct 12th.

It must be awful tiring for these guys to have to sit and watch those World Series Games.[;)]

I'll just pretend that rain-outs were secretly added to the program. The teams took to the field, played four innings, and the game was eventually called due to weather. Wait a minute, the game's at Riverfront in Cincinnati. They had that machine that sucked the water off the field...........nevermind........both pitchers hurt themselves warming up in the bullpen before the game.[:'(]

I looked a little further into things and found some more weirdness. This is the status of both teams' rotations prior to the October 12th Game Five:

Montreal:
David Palmer pitched on the 11th and threw 48 pitches. He is "Feeling Great" at 100%.
Scott Sanderson pitched on the 10th and threw 103 pitches. He is "Great" at 90%.
Steve Rogers pitched on the 8th and threw 106 pitches. He is "Good" at 82%.

Cincinnati:
Frank Pastore pitched on the 11th and threw 108 pitches. He is "Feeling Great" at 100%.
Mario Soto pitched on the 10th and threw 71 pitches. He is "Great" at 97%.
Joe Price pitched on the 8th and threw 105 pitches. He is "Good" at 78%.

The only reason I noticed this at all is that the starting pitchers for game five were in bright red when I saw the two teams' lineups. I started the game anyway, then turned the computer off in the third inning when Gullickson was pulled. I guess I'll go with the two guys who pitched on the 8th and are feeling good, then see what happens after the off-day.

Bustoff -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 10:36:21 PM)

Sounds sorta bass-ackwards to me...maybe if you pitched the same guy every day, he'd never get tired! [:D]

Leegen -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 10:59:11 PM)

This is related to something else I've wondered about. If you have your manager strategies set at "auto-rest when tired" shouldn't the AI grab either the best long relief guy off the bench to make the start, or skip the "red" pitcher's start and go onto the next "rested" pitcher in the rotation. I don't believe either of these things happen, but I could be mistaken.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 11:09:54 PM)

Frankly, all of this is making me glad that I'm a bit of a procrastinator and haven't installed v1.61 or .62!

[&:]

Signed,

Nervous in the Mountains

modred -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 11:14:47 PM)

In a related note, in 1.61 at least, the starting pitcher before the allstar break did not gain any rest during the allstar break where as all other players did.

jeremy7227 -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 11:24:22 PM)

And unfortunately, I may have prematurely derived satisfaction from the release note that "Tweak - The append year feature (e.g names like Williams'46) now defaults to OFF unless in sandbox mode, where it defaults to ON."

What I would love to do is have the option of creating a SandBox assosciation of 40 teams starting in year 2000 and import real players to fill the rosters beginning from the start of baseball history. With the append source year option you get duplicate players if you try a bulk load. It would seem to be a simple check box option on the association creation. I don't mind if it defaults "ON" but the option isn't changeable to "OFF". therefore it isn't really "defaulted on" so much as "forced on."

I have tried to accomplish the same type of association creation in a klugier way by using a PureSim classic association, start year 2000 and then seed the association with players from 1900.... when the import routine runs it forces the association year to 1900. Also frustrating.

I just want to play modern rules/results with old players(and no fictional) in a career association without the source year so I can easily import rookies year after year - which I am OK with doing manually if it means I get to do the above scenario.

Jeremy

jeremy7227 -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/26/2007 11:40:35 PM)

So one more thing.... I had made XML adjustments and changed the sliders in my historical association, currently playing in 1904 with 30 teams and players from 1871-1884 imported to fill the rosters. I use modern closer usage and I was getting 70's style results. HR totals were low by rabbit-ball standards but astronomical by dead-ball standards. Pitchers were around 32 starts and 12-18 CG at most. Relievers were used in a good mix with all 6 of the guys in my pen getting around 50-70IP... pretty much my personal version of baseball Utopia.

I loaded 1.61 and all of the sudden it was back to reality.... which is great if you are a replay kind of gamer who wants to duplicate real life in a sim.... My starters in the first half of 1904 all had 15 starts and all but two had 15 CG, those two had 13CG. Only one reliever had even made an appearance out of my pen. Since I play to escape reality by building my own baseball universe where I am omnipotent so I was a little miffed.

I can restore my association to the end of 1903 and restore my game to 1.60 w/ my old XML and play on from there but I want the other new features in .61 and .62, etc. I think what I am saying is I really want SandBox mode unlocked.. or let me run PS Classic without using the "SEEDING" method of importing players from a specific year - let me do multiple years manually to fill the pool prior to an initial draft. Either way would make me happy.... and isn't that what you all want??? - A happy Jeremy. [:D]

JL

KG Erwin -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/27/2007 12:32:11 AM)

When Shaun can tweak the pitcher recovery between the end of the regular season and the post-season, that'll be fine enough for me.

When I finished my 1946 "Golden Age" season, I looked over the stats and nothing seemed terribly out of kilter.

I don't know how many of you have actually read through the entire XML file -- frankly, I've never done it. Maybe it's high time I did so.

What little I've examined shows a combination of complex algorithms and the infamous "random dice roll". It's the randomness, and making judgements from just a few days or weeks of simming, that sometimes throws people off.

puresimmer -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/27/2007 3:53:51 PM)

Hey guys I have squashed the "no rest before the playoffs" issue and a few other minor things.

Sorry about that. Believe me this is all worth it, the game is really looking good especially if you are a real players fanatic. A lot of the tweaks made over the last few weeks are paying huge dividends.

I'll release a patch tonight. I have to go to work (real job) now though!

Shaun

Leegen -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/27/2007 7:20:34 PM)

Thanks for all the cool improvements lately and the fixes.

I don't know if this is an issue caused by the latest updates or just a real bad talent year, but in my 1971 amateur draft (historical association running since 1903) there was only ONE historical player available in the entire draft and the AI had to reevaluate talent after every pick, really slowing down the whole process. I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this?

PadresFan104 -> RE: Mixed Review on 1.62 (7/27/2007 7:48:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

I'll release a patch tonight. I have to go to work (real job) now though!

Shaun

Bah! It's summer, take some time off!!! [:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI