RE: FAQ - Guns of August (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

SMK-at-work -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/8/2007 7:01:41 AM)

Yes I know what he stated, but IMO his wording is wrong.......I have asked for a clarification.

New York Jets -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 7:42:19 AM)

What are the limitations and ranges of Strategic Movement? If I have a unit that is not anywhere near the Western Front lines how far can I move it towards the Eastern Front lines?

The rules need a complete re-write. I just bought this game a few days ago and I love the flavour of the game. It has GREAT potential. It needs a much more comprehensive rules manual, though.

I will have more questions as I explore this game.

New York Jets -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 7:45:20 AM)

What is the optimum screen resolution for this game?

New York Jets -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 7:46:31 AM)

How do I get a consistent screen scroll effect without having to use the jump map?

flintlock -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:06:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Trog

What are the limitations and ranges of Strategic Movement? If I have a unit that is not anywhere near the Western Front lines how far can I move it towards the Eastern Front lines?

See the manual for this information (pg. 28, 21.0). To reiterate what the manual explains: basically use a strategic movement to accomplish what you need. You'll need 1 rail point per 5 hexes moved. You also need to ensure the start and end hex are friendly at the start of your turn

flintlock -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:09:07 AM)

quote:

What is the optimum screen resolution for this game?

As explained in the manual (page 9, 3.0), it's currently 1024x768. The upcoming patch will add 1280x1024 (helpful if you use a 5:4 aspect ratio).

flintlock -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:10:40 AM)

quote:

How do I get a consistent screen scroll effect without having to use the jump map?

Currently the best way may well be the arrow keys, at least that's been my experience.

New York Jets -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:13:03 AM)

Good. That's what I'm usint but my gaem does not fill the screen and I cannot get the screen scroll to work comsistently.

flintlock -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:15:34 AM)

Chris, are you currently using an LCD, per chance? If so, what's your native resolution?

New York Jets -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:22:21 AM)

using a 24" wide flat screen. It is set to 1024x768.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this game I just want better instructions on how to enjoy it.

flintlock -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 8:35:57 AM)

Well once the patch comes out, 1280x1024 will help a little on a 24" widescreen when running in windowed mode or scaled to 1280x1024's 5:4 aspect ratio. Ultimately, your display will look best when in it's native 16:10 1920x1200 resolution. Either way, another option in resolution is better than just one.

SteveD64 -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 4:32:57 PM)

Are Naval Assets savable from turn to turn?
I started a new game last night and Germany starts out with 60+ naval points.  After sending out my uboats and shipping I still had 50+ left.  Next strategic phase I had 0.  What happened to them?

hjaco -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 5:31:20 PM)

Naval units at sea still use up 1 naval point pr. turn. Whether you have repaired any ships or not i do not know, but if auto refit is chosen on the naval screen, then that also could be part of the reason for some of the deficit. Finally you will most certainly have bought some new ships - possibly SUBS ?

My guess is that after you did the naval affairs bought 2 SUBS for a total of 36 naval points, the remainder been subtracted automatically at the beginning of the next strategy phase.

SteveD64 -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/14/2007 5:53:00 PM)

Ok, you're right.  I did buy subs.  I didn't realize the connection between purchasing new ships and naval assets, which I thought were for assigning missions only.  Makes sense, thanks.

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 4:22:27 PM)

What do the numbers on enemy counters mean?

*Lava* -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 4:29:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

The black numbers on the enemy counters indicate the entrenchment level. Entrenchment ranges from 0 to 4 (0 is not shown on the counter, the absence of a number means no entrenchment).

Ray (alias Lava)

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 4:34:40 PM)

Thanks Lava.

James Ward -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 5:00:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lava

quote:

The black numbers on the enemy counters indicate the entrenchment level. Entrenchment ranges from 0 to 4 (0 is not shown on the counter, the absence of a number means no entrenchment).

Ray (alias Lava)

Sometimes the trench number is white and sometimes it is black, even for units of the same nation. Is there a differance?

Munro -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 9:19:40 PM)

I've noticed if I shuffle thru a stack of enemy counters, with a 2 on them for 2 Trenchs, some will have no number, I'll bet their either HQ or Arty.

hjaco -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/21/2007 10:32:32 PM)

Nice info Munro [;)]

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 12:43:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

quote:

Ray (alias Lava)

Sometimes the trench number is white and sometimes it is black, even for units of the same nation. Is there a differance?

Don't think this was ever addressed or answered, so here is an example. TIA...

[image]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x14/langev/GoA_entrenchedcolors.jpg[/image]

hjaco -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 12:53:49 AM)

A very good question but i think its a minor fault that both black and white numbers are used on the Italians.

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 1:14:24 AM)

not just the Italians.  I believe it shows up for other nations as well....

randell765 -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 4:20:09 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

quote:

Ray (alias Lava)

Don't think this was ever addressed or answered, so here is an example. TIA...

[image]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x14/langev/GoA_entrenchedcolors.jpg[/image] 

Holy Cow,
I have been playing this game for a little bit and I thought the numbers showed you how many HQ points there were(in addition to air reconn).  Wow, I must have completely missed this is in the manual.

SMK-at-work -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 4:33:00 AM)

HQ points are only shown on HQ's!![:D]

Ironclad -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/23/2007 1:32:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: randell765

Holy Cow,
I have been playing this game for a little bit and I thought the numbers showed you how many HQ points there were(in addition to air reconn). Wow, I must have completely missed this is in the manual.

There is no description of the counter information in the manual. A major omission and not the only one. Its a fine game but deserves a better manual.

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/29/2007 4:30:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

"2A" and "3A" are actually entrenchement levels (the 2 and the 3) next to troop quality.

I don't know why you can't barrage if loaded, except maybe you can only barrage into an enemy hex, and you don't have any adjacent? (guesswork on my part as to whether this is a requirement or not)

OK, this just does not seem not right. I have Cavalry showing "3A" and I have NOT entrenched them.

[image]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x14/langev/3Acav.jpg[/image]

Haven't even tried, but it would seem ridiculous to entrench cavalry! Can you even entrench cavalry? CAN WE PLEASE GET A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF EACH UNIT ICON AND A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF ALL THE NUMBERS/INFO ON EACH ICON???!!!! Thanks....

James Ward -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/29/2007 4:33:10 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

"2A" and "3A" are actually entrenchement levels (the 2 and the 3) next to troop quality.

I don't know why you can't barrage if loaded, except maybe you can only barrage into an enemy hex, and you don't have any adjacent? (guesswork on my part as to whether this is a requirement or not)

OK, this just does not seem not right. I have Cavalry showing "3A" and I have NOT entrenched them.

[image]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x14/langev/3Acav.jpg[/image]

Haven't even tried, but it would seem ridiculous to entrench cavalry! Can you even entrench cavalry? CAN WE PLEASE GET A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF EACH UNIT ICON AND A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF ALL THE NUMBERS/INFO ON EACH ICON???!!!! Thanks....

Are you in a city with a fortress?

uncc -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/29/2007 4:41:00 AM)

ya, Lemburg, "Fort 3".    Grrr, something I missed in the "manual"? So my cav gets the benefit of the forts???? Thanks....

OK, after browsing through the forum, it looks like forts and trenches are somewhat similar. So the number in front an icon's class is not really its entrenchment value, its more like a defensive modifier. Is that correct?? Thanks....

SteveD64 -> RE: FAQ - Guns of August (8/29/2007 3:59:52 PM)

What is the reasoning behind loading your artillery and not firing?  Is there some defensive bonus if they are attacked?

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI