OT: a question for the jarheads (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

grumpyman -> OT: a question for the jarheads (8/3/2007 10:41:52 PM)

When I was at boot camp in San Diego in 1973 I could see across the fence in the airport some world war II vintage Japanese aircraft. My memory tells me there was more than one of these aircraft. Does anyone remember these airplanes? What model aircraft were they and what happened to them?

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/3/2007 11:14:56 PM)

I went through in the late '80s and didn't see anything like that.[&:]

ChezDaJez -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/3/2007 11:21:39 PM)

I went through Navy bootcamp at San Diego in 1972 and didn't see anything like that either. Of course, our company commanders were very good at keeping our eyes focused on the task at hand so I didn't get to look around much. Plus the USMC boot camp was between us and the airport so who would want to look their way anyhow?

Chez

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/3/2007 11:26:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

I went through Navy bootcamp at San Diego in 1972 and didn't see anything like that either. Of course, our company commanders were very good at keeping our eyes focused on the task at hand so I didn't get to look around much. Plus the USMC boot camp was between us and the airport so who would want to look their way anyhow?

Chez

You guys were at the other end of the airport from where those planes were. When we ran to the back gate and back we were in that strip between you and the airport. I would see you guys sitting around your barracks while we were running and wish I joined the navy[:D][:D]

ChezDaJez -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/3/2007 11:31:04 PM)

quote:

I would see you guys sitting around your barracks while we were running and wish I joined the navy

[:D][:D][:D]

We would see you guys running and counting cadence and would thank god we had joined the Navy!!!

Chez

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 12:27:33 AM)

NTC is no longer there Chez...it's part of MCRD now.

As for the airport...

There was nothing but the PT field between our barracks and that airport. We'd be in the rack at night seeing those planes take off and wish we were on every one of them.

Semper Fi,
Lee

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 12:35:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

NTC is no longer there Chez...it's part of MCRD now.

As for the airport...

There was nothing but the PT field between our barracks and that airport. We'd be in the rack at night seeing those planes take off and wish we were on every one of them.

Semper Fi,
Lee

I rode past the front gate of mcrd this spring. The road past is a freeway now not road. That front gate still gives me the creeps. It was night and very scary the first time I pasted though it.[:)]

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 12:37:38 AM)

You know what I thought when I went through them?

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 12:44:53 AM)

quote:

You know what I thought when I went through them?

I don't know, but I thought what did I get myself into.

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 12:55:41 AM)

My thoughts exactly were...and I remember them to this day...

"Oh s$%t...Lee, you are a dumbass."[:D]

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 1:00:03 AM)

Then you pulled up in front of receiving...

The biggest, blackest man I had ever seen, with the whitest teeth I ever seen, came onto the buss with that smokey the bear hat on and smiles bigger than life. He welcomed us to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, California and that during our twelve week stay, we will be turned into Marines. He told us that when we got off the bus in a nice, orderly fashion, we were to get on the yellow footprints and stand there...

Then someone flipped a switch on this guy and he got pissed off all of a sudden...we were tryiong to crawl out the windows of the bus to get away from him[:D]

Lee

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 1:09:52 AM)

For us, the driver parked the bus told us to wait there. We sat in the bus what seems an hour but was probably only a minute two. Then a gang of DIs came out and started banging on the bus and yelling. "get off the F***ing bus! Get on the yellow footprints!"

Ian R -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:32:01 AM)

So full metal jacket was TTL then?

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:34:31 AM)

Kubrick was always TTL

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:35:26 AM)

Pretty close...

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:36:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Kubrick was always TTL

A Clockwork Orange?[:D]

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:37:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

The boot camp in full medal lasted 1 hr. The one I went to lasted 11 weeks. All the creative swearing in FMJ was not original I heard those lines first in boot camp and more.

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:38:22 AM)

Just because it was fiction, doesn't mean it was not TTL, oh my brothers[;)]

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:40:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

The boot camp in full medal lasted 1 hr. The one I went to lasted 11 weeks. All the creative swearing in FMJ was not original I heard those lines first in boot camp and more.

The DI was absolutely real. He was a Marine DI who was hired as a dialogue consultant. He was so perfect that he got the part in the picture.

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:40:52 AM)

NOT LUDWIG VAN!!![8D]

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:43:33 AM)

One of the craziest things is...

Don Knotts is, to this day, considered one of the most feared DIs to walk MCRD Sandiego.

I'd believe it too...imagine standing at the POA next to your footlocker and this little guy steps in front of you and starts wigging out like he does...it'd scare the s$%t outta me...[:D]

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:44:12 AM)

Lovely lovely ludwig van, my Droogie.

I've seen that pic prolly 100 times.

Saw the baltimore symphony perform the glorious 9th a week ago, and was thinking of lil alex the whole time.[;)]

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:44:20 AM)

I would like to note I was in one of the last series to train with the M-14. It really p*ssed me off to see the platoons a few weeks behind us doing up and arm shoulders with M-16s.
[:D][:D]

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:45:37 AM)

Yeah, Don Knotts would creep me out for sure....he was for real a DI?

Uh, BTW: Hijacked!![:D]

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:47:31 AM)

quote:

One of the craziest things is...

Don Knotts is, to this day, considered one of the most feared DIs to walk MCRD Sandiego.

I'd believe it too...imagine standing at the POA next to your footlocker and this little guy steps in front of you and starts wigging out like he does...it'd scare the s$%t outta me...[:D]

Don knotts? I didn't know that.

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:49:42 AM)

yep...

rogueusmc -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:51:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpyman

I would like to note I was in one of the last series to train with the M-14. It really p*ssed me off to see the platoons a few weeks behind us doing up and arm shoulders with M-16s.
[:D][:D]

Dad was in the 'Nam when they took their M-14s from them and handed them the M-16s...they came off their first patrol with it and they all threw them in a pile and said they wanted thier '14s back.

Coach Z -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:51:29 AM)

Remember Lee Emery the DI in Full Metal Jacket was a Marine Gunnery Sargent.

Ah in Army Officer School I kind of liked my DI he was mean as shirt (-r) but actually a VERY good teacher.
I cracked him up once when he got in my face and said "Boy, dont you know what I meant when I gave that I order!!" and I honestly and strangely confidently answered "No Drill Sargent! I honestly have no idea what you wanted me to do!"
He stepped back looked at me funny for a second, then taught me and the whole platoon what to do. Of course he then THREATENED to kill me if I ever f#%ked the same thing  up again!

tsimmonds -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 6:54:23 AM)

Excellent; it seems being clueless will work anyplace once.[;)]

grumpyman -> RE: OT: a question for the jarheads (8/4/2007 7:02:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coach Z

Remember Lee Emery the DI in Full Metal Jacket was a Marine Gunnery Sargent.

Ah in Army Officer School I kind of liked my DI he was mean as shirt (-r) but actually a VERY good teacher.
I cracked him up once when he got in my face and said "Boy, dont you know what I meant when I gave that I order!!" and I honestly and strangely confidently answered "No Drill Sargent! I honestly have no idea what you wanted me to do!"
He stepped back looked at me funny for a second, then taught me and the whole platoon what to do. Of course he then THREATENED to kill me if I ever f#%ked the same thing  up again!

You mean while you had something in your eye, you got away with calling the DI a female sheep?

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI