Old American airfields (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

m10bob -> Old American airfields (8/4/2007 6:52:33 PM)

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

Coach Z -> RE: Old American airfields (8/4/2007 7:31:10 PM)

Very Cool Link

witpqs -> RE: Old American airfields (8/4/2007 10:12:21 PM)

This is great!

fmonster -> RE: Old American airfields (8/5/2007 8:12:47 AM)

Just spent the last 45 min. there. Good Stuff! Thanks for the link.

tsimmonds -> RE: Old American airfields (8/5/2007 4:19:21 PM)

Speedway Airport was where I had my first plane ride (1965?). The photos really brought that back. I particularly remember that funky wind indicator. Thanks!

m10bob -> RE: Old American airfields (8/9/2007 2:10:29 PM)

I e-mailed the owner of the website to make a correction regarding "Shank Airfield" in Indianapolis.
The field I learned to fly at was located on the north side of west 38th street between Moeller rd on the west and Georgetown road on the east.(The usual east-west landing pattern allowed buzzing of the old Lafayette rd drive-in and hitting the throttle gently during the glide-in interrupted more than one couple in the "passion pit", I'm sure!

This was however NOT the original Shank airfield, which during WWII was located on the south side of Lafayette road between Tibbs and Kessler blvd.
I believe the south perimeter went as far down as maybe 22nd street?
The old Walt's Super market/Galyan's sporting goods store was the old hanger!
During the war this field had a paved runway and a complement of AT 6's and some P 51's.
Bob Shank Jr was killed on this field when he ground-looped a Mustang here.
The field was sold to National Homes of Lafayette Indiana after the war when homes for the returning G.I.'s were at a premium and "pre-fab" housing was born!
My Uncle Ed and Aunt Janet lived in a home here and complained the ground had bits of the old concrete runway in the fill dirt.
BTW, Bob Shank Sr was a true aviation pioneer and for years until his death in the late sixties lived on a (then) farm across from the newer Shank airfield on the west side of Moeller road, next door to more of my relatives.
(The old Shank home is still in approx the 4000 block and the barn is right behind the house, now surrounded by trees and suburbia.)
There should be a historic marker there, but isn't.....

tsimmonds -> RE: Old American airfields (8/9/2007 7:03:02 PM)

Very familiar with that part of town, used to live on Kessler just a block or two north of there. Had no idea there used to be an airfield there.

Prolly the same Shanks as Sarah Shank Golf Course just north of there on Kessler?

Saw many movies at the Laf Rd DI. It is amazing how much open land in these photos is now developed. Who could have imagined Stout Field surrounded by farmland!

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane.

m10bob -> RE: Old American airfields (8/9/2007 8:55:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Very familiar with that part of town, used to live on Kessler just a block or two north of there. Had no idea there used to be an airfield there.

Prolly the same Shanks as Sarah Shank Golf Course just north of there on Kessler?

Saw many movies at the Laf Rd DI. It is amazing how much open land in these photos is now developed. Who could have imagined Stout Field surrounded by farmland!

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane.

And you may have wondered why that National Guard facility was on the corner of Kessler and U.S. 52??

tsimmonds -> RE: Old American airfields (8/10/2007 3:46:34 PM)

Pray, tell, why?[;)]

Coach Z -> RE: Old American airfields (8/10/2007 5:24:40 PM)

Was showing some of the pics to one of my daughters, especially ROOSEVELT FIELD on Long Island. Now her favorite Shopping Mall, one time the airfield where Lindbergh took off from! She also saw Mitchell Field which had been a miltary field, (Surprised the heck out of her that we lived so close to an old military airfield) which is now a Jr. College Football Stadium.
There were lots of old airfields in the NYC-Long Island region and so many WW2 plane manufacturers were located in this region its kind of a shame that there almost all gone.
Just off the top of my head we had -
CURTIS
REPUBLIC
FAIRCHILD
SEVERSKY
VOUGHT
and of course
GRUMMAN
Well at least we still have The Craddle of Aviation Museum!

m10bob -> RE: Old American airfields (8/11/2007 1:18:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: irrelevant

Pray, tell, why?[;)]

Well, the property WAS owned by the ING (air) before the current building was put up.
It was across the road from the corner of the airfield.
BTW, do a Google search on Bob Shank and you will see pics of him in the early years of aviation..

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI