BattleSet Wishlist (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition

TonyE -> BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 4:55:44 AM)

Smitty started the ball rolling with a couple of battleset questions. I think it may be appopriate to have this thread for your battleset suggestions. What I hope you can provide is...

1. General geographic location, i.e. Falklands, South America

2. Bounding lat/lon if you have them handy (to get an idea of the area covered by your battleset)

3. Why you want this area as a battleset.

Notes:
As was noted, consider the zoom capability and lesser precision of high zoom levels when looking at the bounding lat/lon. There will be a battleset creator released (in the indefinite later) so you can try out many different options, but some crowd favorites should appear and we'll consider those for permanent battlesets in future releases.

SouthernAP -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 6:20:08 AM)

I would like to suggest the Caribbean from the south coast of the US (like Florida, Texas, and Lousiana) down to the French Guiana. Some fun battles engaging Cuba, defending the Panama Canal or just trying to get convoys from US Gulf Coast ports into the North Atlantic.

South America from Panama south to the Cape of Magellan. Plenty of regional action there.

Divefreak -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 9:04:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SouthernAP

I would like to suggest the Caribbean from the south coast of the US (like Florida, Texas, and Lousiana) down to the French Guiana. Some fun battles engaging Cuba, defending the Panama Canal or just trying to get convoys from US Gulf Coast ports into the North Atlantic.

South America from Panama south to the Cape of Magellan. Plenty of regional action there.

Luckily we got the right db for your proposed region on stock.

But it is still an early Beta Version wich neds much testing and improvement.

Regards René

Bungle -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 10:31:29 AM)

SE Asia/Far East/SW Pacific (its on the map, honest [;)] ),  Kurile Islands to Guadal Canal. Lots of juicy reefs and part submerged islands rich in oil, gas and fishing rights for the major players to fight over. Not to mention vote selling in the UN for the small Pac nations in exchange for cash and good willy visits, not that your modern sailor type is into that sort of thing..... [8|]

BlindOldUmp -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 4:16:32 PM)

So Far Tony the 2 areas I was most interested in are already on the list :-) I'm interested in watching the small boys battle the well equiped drug dealer (with maybe a surprize assist from Fedel, Raul & friends) (Hammerheads etc ...) and in watching the Terrorists and Pirates around the Indonisia and Solomons areas. I actually have in mind a small vessel action in the same area as the Savo Island/Ironbottom Sound area. The Red forces want to build up forward & recon bases preparatory to taking Borneo and it's oil. one side of the picers is down the Slot. Blue obviouly wants to prevent that but their recon capabilities are lacking in the area ............ 2-3 smal groups (6-12??) Gunboats & missle boats against a couple of FF or DDG & other small types accompanied by cargo types. Blue has no air or maybe 1 Nimrod out of Oz. Red has the helos on the DDs etc. Blue wins by killing the cargo types.

dyoox01 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/17/2007 6:41:44 PM)

With Japan's interest in the F22 the whole region seems to be bulking up their military capability. I know South Korea has launched their Aegis ships and assault carrier. There's still tension between South Korea and Japan with regards to a remote island. Any possibility of seeing more modern units and scenarios for the region?

CV32 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 12:51:32 AM)

The database that will come packaged with HCE is my own HCDB, the Harpoon Classic Data Base, hosted at HarpGamer.

When WestPac first became available for Harpoon Classic as a beta, I began a major effort to incorporate as much from the region's players as I could, into the HCDB. This included China, as well as Japan, Australia, Taiwan, and numerous others. So, the "latest" platforms have been incorporated piece by piece for years now, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

SteveF2006 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 1:13:05 AM)

My nickels worth of free advice is to have a Battle Set for the West Coast of the US. This could give all types of disputes from the California area all the way to the tip of Alaska. It could give some great battles that could expose some weakness to the US on the West Coast side.

The other area that might be fun would be the Australia / New Zealand region. Those waters had some critical battles during WWII. Might be nice to modernize those battle with some new opponents!

CV32 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 3:02:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveF2006
The other area that might be fun would be the Australia / New Zealand region. Those waters had some critical battles during WWII. Might be nice to modernize those battle with some new opponents!

These areas are already represented in the Westpac battleset. [:)]

jewarren -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 3:24:53 AM)

How about a North Pole Battleset?  Maybe from a top down perspective (ie. North Pole at center of map)?

Russia recently claimed a big piece and put a Russian flag on the sea floor.  Seems like the suspected abundance of natural resources in the area could lead to some interesting scenarios.

Maybe something like this?

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 3:33:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jewarren

How about a North Pole Battleset?  Maybe from a top down perspective (ie. North Pole at center of map)?

Russia recently claimed a big piece and put a Russian flag on the sea floor.  Seems like the suspected abundance of natural resources in the area could lead to some interesting scenarios.

Maybe something like this?

I like your thinking but Harpoon Classic won't have a polar projection or anything approaching that useability for the foreseeable future. For those scenarios you'll just have to go for Harpoon 3 (ANW). HC may within a more reasonable timeframe have tools to help you play such an area but it won't be pretty or intuitive to play such a scenario.

Keep the ideas coming, the answer won't always be never [:)]

Mgellis -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/18/2007 6:26:39 PM)

I am assuming the four basic battlesets (GIUK, North Atlantic, Med, and IOPG) will remain.

I hope the 5th battleset (Western Pacific) is included, but please fix the problem on the map with New Guinea!  (Just look at the southeast corner of New Guinea and you will see what I'm talking about.) 

Other Requests...

Perhaps divide the West Pacific battleset into North (20 degrees N. to 60 degrees N.) and South (30 degrees N to 50 degrees S.).  You need some overlap to make certain campaigns with China practical.  With two maps you get greater detail on both but you still have the "epic" West Pacific scale. 

(The only problem here is that you probably lose those little Alaskan islands in the NE corner of the current WestPac map, which I could see being useful for certain campaigns.  Mayble all three battlesets--the large scale map and the two smaller scale maps--should be included?)

I would also recommend...

Caribbean: Covers Venezuela, the Gulf Coast, parts of Brazil, parts of Mexico, lots of small island nations, and Cuba (approx. 30 N. to 5 S. and 100 W. to 40 W.)

South Atlantic: Covers Falklands, South Africa, Angola, etc. (approx. 70 W. to 30 E. and 15 S. to 60 S.)

Mid-Atlantic: Covers Brazil, Nigeria (oil = conflict!) Ivory Coast, Zaire, Angola, Cape Verde, etc. (approx. 50 W. to 20 E. and 20 N. to 20 S.)

You definitely want to include the African coast in one or more battlesets...there are lots of interesting possibilities for scenarios here.

I hope this helps.

Mark

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (8/19/2007 12:41:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

I am assuming the four basic battlesets (GIUK, North Atlantic, Med, and IOPG) will remain.

I hope the 5th battleset (Western Pacific) is included, but please fix the problem on the map with New Guinea!  (Just look at the southeast corner of New Guinea and you will see what I'm talking about.) 

The four basic battlesets will remain.

WestPac is included, New Guinea will not be improved for release of the game.

Divefreak -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/4/2007 9:48:52 PM)

I´ve played a bit today...

[image]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/ReneHaar/Unbenannt-21.jpg[/image]

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/4/2007 10:43:27 PM)

Thanks Rene, (Rene is using the BattleSet Builder that I hope we'll have polished enough for the first HCE patch)

I've been thinking about the part of the world Rene highlights here, what does it have... The Panama Canal.  What does everyone think, does there need to be a mechanism to mimic the canal (i.e. I take PhotoShop to the raw map graphic and make a big channel thru...)?  It would be unnaturally large to allow for getting your ships and subs thru and not have an game coded delays, I'd just be digging a big ditch between the oceans (sorry, I don't do locks, gonna be a bumpy ride <g>). 

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Divefreak -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/5/2007 8:13:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TonyE

Thanks Rene, (Rene is using the BattleSet Builder that I hope we'll have polished enough for the first HCE patch)

No, Sorry Tony it needs a bit fine polish, but in general the tool works as intented and is a great Step forward for the game.

BTW Panama Canal sounds cool, what about the Suez Canal?

mack2 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/5/2007 8:29:34 AM)

quote:

I've been thinking about the part of the world Rene highlights here, what does it have... The Panama Canal. What does everyone think, does there need to be a mechanism to mimic the canal (i.e. I take PhotoShop to the raw map graphic and make a big channel thru...)? It would be unnaturally large to allow for getting your ships and subs thru and not have an game coded delays, I'd just be digging a big ditch between the oceans (sorry, I don't do locks, gonna be a bumpy ride <g>).

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Make it a dock? Allow a player to dock on one side and change formation to go to the other..

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/5/2007 5:09:10 PM)

Hehe Mack2, we were just discussing that as an option in IRC yesterday.  Easy enough for the player, tough for the AI, not even close to possible for the scenario designer (except if AI units automatically get teleported once they get within #nm of the 'lock/dam/bridge/canal'.  Still pondering so keep the ideas coming.

BlindOldUmp -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/5/2007 11:48:45 PM)

Tony - Could it work as a base with 2 entrances ?? Enter via atlantic/caribean & exit via pacific or v/v ??? I mean the scale the game is at that should work at the Panama canal anyway. You may have to do violence to the map however and draw in a waterway between 2 bases for the suez ......

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/6/2007 6:55:45 PM)

Yep Skip, that's pretty much what mack2 is saying.  The feel so far (admittedly we're in the early stages here) is to leave out the canal for now and hopefully add a canal/lock/bridge type of unit down the road (the opportune time being when we're ready to break the scenario file format for other reasons, best to do that ugliness as rarely as possible, and yes, the conversion will be seemless within the game).

CV32 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/6/2007 7:04:55 PM)

Thank goodness for Tony's coding genius, and fortunately without too much of the insanity that usually goes along with it. [&o] We won't implement any new code if it causes more trouble than its worth, but keep the brainstorming, discussion and ideas coming. [8D]

Divefreak -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/7/2007 11:20:20 PM)

quote:

And we need Kiel Canal, too! BTW This Screenshot was taken at 1x Zoom!

[image]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/ReneHaar/Unbenannt-24.jpg[/image]

EXRANPO -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/9/2007 2:15:55 PM)

I personally am happy to see anything in the game with a focus on the RAN and its operational area - a small but professional outfit - I particularly like creating my own battle groups (if you can use that term for a small but honest navy with very limited assets) and put them in to do battle other naval forces of the region.

Would be really cool in future updates of the game to include the new RAN Air Warfare Destroyers and the new Assault/Landing/Amphibous shipps the RAN have just signed off on. Would make a great "what if" scenario as a power projection exercise.

Divefreak -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/9/2007 5:12:56 PM)

quote:

Would be really cool in future updates of the game to include the new RAN Air Warfare Destroyers and the new Assault/Landing/Amphibous shipps the RAN have just signed off on. Would make a great "what if" scenario as a power projection exercise.

Those ships are alreday or will be soon part of the DBs

as far as i know for the LHD we miss the sensor outfit to modell these ships, so if someone can provide reliable Data (please quote the source) they will apear soon in HCe.

Regards René

CV32 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/10/2007 7:19:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EXRANPO

The Hobart class AWD destroyers are already in the stock DB (the HCDB), but at the time they were introduced, the Gibbs & Cox "evolved" Arleigh Burke derivative was the leading contender for the contract. I expect I will be adjusting the HCDB later to either revise this entry to reflect the chosen Navantia design, or else add the Navantia design separately. The Canberra LHD will also be added in due course. [:)]

BlindOldUmp -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/10/2007 8:22:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CV32

quote:

ORIGINAL: EXRANPO

The Hobart class AWD destroyers are already in the stock DB (the HCDB), but at the time they were introduced, the Gibbs & Cox "evolved" Arleigh Burke derivative was the leading contender for the contract. I expect I will be adjusting the HCDB later to either revise this entry to reflect the chosen Navantia design, or else add the Navantia design separately. The Canberra LHD will also be added in due course. [:)]

As long as the DB will handle it - keep them both. "What-If" is the way this game is played [:)] Isn't that why we still have the F-14D & the Iowa Class BB's' & some old Baltimore class CA's etc [:)] [&o][&o]

jarraya -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/11/2007 12:05:57 PM)

Let's not forget South America.

Oil and gas + Venezula with F-16s and SU-32s, Chile with F-16s, Argentina with Mirages.

A bit of a Navy and subs.

Nite92 -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/11/2007 1:24:47 PM)

Personally, I like the idea of having 2 different WestPac battlesets with overlap.  One from Hawaii to Cali and one from Japan to Hawaii.  Alot of history in these areas, and no reason we can't make more. 

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/15/2007 1:57:56 AM)

quote:

[image]local://upfiles/20766/27F48487AEE64751B9F8D7AEDAE70272.jpg[/image]

TonyE -> RE: BattleSet Wishlist (9/15/2007 1:58:30 AM)

quote:

[image]local://upfiles/20766/BAF1939F2C6649289376F09A4D5D64B7.jpg[/image]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI