RE: New Beta Update Available (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

seaforth7 -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 2:49:52 AM)

As I said, I'm in the Sept-Oct first impulse and there is 0 French rail capacity, I've run it several times and always 0 French rail capacity,

see attached

*Lava* -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 5:09:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: seaforth7

As I said, I'm in the Sept-Oct first impulse and there is 0 French rail capacity, I've run it several times and always 0 French rail capacity,

Same here, but I'm in a PBEM game... ouch!

Ray (alias Lava)

hjaco -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 11:28:43 AM)

Hi Seaforth7,

Sorry but how the hell did you get a Belgian artillery [X(][X(][X(]

SMK-at-work -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 12:09:37 PM)

Belgium and Serbia each get an artillery as a reinforcement on the 2nd turn in the new version of htebeta which isn't available to the public yet.

I'm not sure that it's justified for Serbia at least....they didn't have a lot of artillery.

hjaco -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 1:23:15 PM)

Oh yes they did.

When AH arrogantly invaded Serbia after war was declared, they stupidly advanced right into the Serbs prime artillery training area and was pulverized

No wonder they lost the war [:D][:D][:D]

hjaco -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 1:42:34 PM)

Battle of Cer

Orders of Battle: the Serbian Frontier, early August 1914
Immediately following full mobilisation
5. Armee, GdI Liborius Frank
VIII. Korps, GdK Artur Giesl v. Gieslingen
Chief of staff, Obst Ludwig Sündermann
9. inf. div., FML Viktor v. Scheuchenstüel
17. inf. brig., GM Franz Daniel
18. inf. brig., GM Josef Mayrhofer v. Grünbrühel
9. feld art. brig., GM Rudolf Laube
21. Landstürm inf. div., FML Artur Przyborski
41. Landstürm inf. brig., GM Othmar Panesch
42. Landstürm inf. brig., GM Alois Podhajski
21. feld art. brig., Obst Karl Hinke

First Invasion of Serbia, August 1914

Under the command of GdI Liborius Frank in the 5. Army, General Artur von Giesl ordered his VIII. Corps across the upper Drina river above its confluence with the Jadar river on the night of 11 August 1914. To their left, the Cer Ridge rose above the valley, dominating the approach to Valjevo. Giesl was instructed to take the Cer Ridge and thus give the Austrians control of the heights and the advantage.

General Vojvod Stefan Stefanovic of the Serbian 2. Army moved fast to arm the exposed Macva salient, and had the whole Cer ridge lined with Serbian artillery and mountain troops within a few days of the Austrian invasion. Giesl meanwhile had occupied the length of the Jadar river’s right bank, and launched an attack toward the western spur of the ridge to seize the northern slopes. By 18 August, the entire Cer ridge was in Giesl's hands after a ferocious duel with the Serbians, but Kozaningrad on the eastern end was retaken by Stefanovic within a day by a decisive counterstroke on the morning of 19 August, which broke the VIII. Corps.

Giesl was forced to abandon the whole Cer ridge after this action, and in turn Frank ordered GdI Adolf v. Rhemen to clear his XIII. Corps from the south. Otherwise, the 5. Army would lose an entire Corps as the Serbian 2. and 3. Armies swept down the Jadar from either ridge. By August 24, the VIII. Corps was back across the Drina, after suffering heavy losses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But basically the Serbs ran into the same problem as other countries in the war - insufficient stock and resupply ability of munitions.

Still AH lost 247.000 out of 450.000 troops engaged though better equipped but the Serbs counterattacked the hell out of AH.

SMK-at-work -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 1:59:34 PM)

Advancing into whatever artillery is available does not mean they had a lot of artillery available, especially not, IMO, the type of high-level heavy artillery that is simulated by artillery units.

The serbs don't actually get the unit until the 2nd turn....a bit late for those early battles!!

hjaco -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 2:14:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

The serbs don't actually get the unit until the 2nd turn....a bit late for those early battles!!

I will grant you that SMK.

But the far majority of artillery used at start of war was of inferior calibers. Although there were some good stuff around like
the deadly 75 mm field gun the French army used, which had a staggering ROF 15/min [X(]

SMK-at-work -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 2:39:29 PM)

Yeah but Serbian equipment was not so useful; - there's a photo of a Serb 3" gun at http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/nw_serb_gun_01.jpg and http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/nw_seb_art_retreat_01.jpg - you'll note the old design - it has a fixed barrel - no recoil mechanism. 

6" hpowitzers at http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/gw_serbiangun_01.jpg are similarly archaic even for that era (it's a bit hard to see, but the 2 raramost howitzers appear to show barrels with no recol mechanisms)

The Serbs did have some "75's" and other modern guns but AFAIK most of their artillery was quite old.

Eg http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/nw_serbian_fgun_01.jpg - seems to have a recoil mechanism

http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/nw_serb_alp_artillery_01.jpg - seems to be same sort of gun as above

These appear to be 75's - http://www.firstworldwar.com/photos/graphics/hw_serb_artillery_01.jpg

boogada -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 3:39:43 PM)

But does Serbia ever get any artillery points? You definitely can't buy any. 

SteveD64 -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 3:58:50 PM)

I'm currently reading John Reed's "The War in Eastern Europe" and he travels to Serbia during the war and describes seeing Russian, French and British marines manning huge naval guns that the respective countries had delivered to Serbia.  This is of course anectdotal evidence but interesting nonetheless.  I really recommend the book (he's the same author who wrote "Ten Days that Shook the World" about the Russian Revolution).

So when's the patch coming out?  [;)]

jnier -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/24/2007 7:35:15 PM)

Artillery units represent enourmous concentrations of howitzers that are capable of firing an incredible number of shells. I saw one source that estimated the french fired 32,000,000 artillery shells at verdun. That's in one battle alone. That gives you a feel for the scale that artillery units are supposed to represent.

Smaller artillery formations, like much serb artillery, are abstracted and included in infantry corps.

SMK-at-work -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 3:30:13 AM)

No yuo can't buy Serb artilley points - i expect they arrive at random and frustratingly long intervals like their replacements and HQ points.

Snowbart1943 -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 3:46:23 AM)

Ive been away for a few days....has an official release come out, or is the beta now the official 1st patch? 

Erik Rutins -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 4:20:10 AM)

We should have a new public beta up tomorrow, followed by a planned release early next week. You all turned up quite a few little bugs which have kept Frank busy. Should be all fixed now but we'll give it the weekend to percolate. Here's the updated list of additional changes:

- Bulgaria not showing up in Entente list if Germany declares war
- Return to base problem for naval units
- Naval combat no longer simultaneous
- Cavalry movement restrictions better enforced
- Starting position problem for the Ottoman Empire
- Addition of rail movement on the first of war for the Ottomans
- Problem of Austrian territory after Austrian surrender
- Problem of "decisive victory" not showing up
- No longer display ability to refit corps when supply is under 10%
- Artillery units retreating into neutral countries when no other option exists
- Air recce oddity that could sometimes occur
- Territorial adjustment if Italy surrenders to France
- A "division by zero" error
- And an "access violation" error (both found using saved games)
- A freeze error caused by a glitch in Amphibious movement

Joel Rauber -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 6:36:07 AM)

[8D]

Everyone pat themselves on the back

flintlock -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 6:46:26 AM)

Many thanks for the great support.

randell765 -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 7:07:57 AM)

Big list,good job.

Will_L_OLD -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 9:27:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Will, your 2nd point, if you have a saved game of that happening email it to me and I can fix it if its a problem or explain it.

fhunter@telus.net

Sorry to take so long to get the info to you, been very busy. Sent you three save games, the activation phase, orders phase and subsequent activation phase. Thanks!

*Lava* -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/25/2007 2:31:36 PM)

So...

Is it correct that in the Sep-Oct 1914 move the French have no rail points?

Ray (alias Lava)

Squigbaby -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/26/2007 8:42:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: flintlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hm, have you tried right-clicking on the link and choosing "Save Target As" to see if that helps?

I tried that initially, but noticed it was saving an HTML file. Then I realized what the issue was. I need to stay away from the KB on low caffeine levels. :)

I've had exactly the same.[:(]

Squigbaby -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/26/2007 9:01:26 PM)

I'm pleased to see that the patch addresses the borders between sea zones. I was wondering where the English Channel was located: North Atlantic or North Sea? Now at least I can see (excuse the pun) which sea zones the ports are on.

If you get the chance to make other amendments before the patch becomes official, then these are two which would be nice:

1. There is something very odd with the British HQ graphics - instead of 4 B+W squares, there are jagged white bits where the white squares should be. It's not a major problem but it does make things look inconsistent. Oddly if you go into the counters folder the graphic looks as it should.[&:] Any suggestions?

2. It would be nice to be able to use the mouse to scroll about the map. A smooth scroll/autoscroll feature would be handy. Moving by keyboard is very dated.

Meanwhile, thanks for the beta patch.[:)]

Squigbaby -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/26/2007 9:06:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squigbaby

I'm pleased to see that the patch addresses the borders between sea zones. I was wondering where the English Channel was located: North Atlantic or North Sea? Now at least I can see (excuse the pun) which sea zones the ports are on.

If you get the chance to make other amendments before the patch becomes official, then these are two which would be nice:

1. There is something very odd with the British HQ graphics - instead of 4 B+W squares, there are jagged white bits where the white squares should be. It's not a major problem but it does make things look inconsistent. Oddly if you go into the counters folder the graphic looks as it should.[&:] Any suggestions?

2. It would be nice to be able to use the mouse to scroll about the map. A smooth scroll/autoscroll feature would be handy. Moving by keyboard is very dated.

Meanwhile, thanks for the beta patch.[:)]

And one more please. For the game to force screen resolution to the minimum 1024*768. My eyesight not being what it was is used to 800*600. My copies of HTTR, COTA, WitP, BOA, AACW all do this so I suppose that the library file info is readily available to easily permit this change.[:)]

FrankHunter -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/26/2007 9:53:43 PM)

Lava,

quote:

Is it correct that in the Sep-Oct 1914 move the French have no rail points?

No.  This is being addressed in the new upload of the patch.

Erik Rutins -> RE: New Beta Update Available (8/27/2007 1:10:28 AM)

Please note, the second beta update has now been posted! The link is in the first post in this thread. I'll post the updated change list shortly.

Erik Rutins -> Second Beta Update Available (8/27/2007 1:19:55 AM)

Here's the updated change list.

08/26/2007 – 1.10 First Update

1. Allow the screen resolution to be set to 1280 x 1024 or 1280 by 800 for laptops

2. Tried to fix the sound problem at the end of a scenario. Created a trap for the error which produces a message saying the sound can't be played but otherwise won't affect the game.

3. Fixed German naval rebasing to Rostock through the Kiel Canal.

4. Made it so that Constantinople must be controlled to ship supplies and resource to Russia through the Black Sea.

5. Added an asterix to squadron names if a squadron is damaged.

6. Fixed the supply problem for units trapped in another country when that country surrenders.

7. Fixed the Serbian artillery retreat into the sea.

8. Problem with US reinforcements fixed

9. Problem when fleet at sea loses its home port fixed

10. Movement of units in mobilization phase after 1915 fixed

11. Fixed Password problem for PBEM

12. Fixed disappearing Turkish artillery unit and Turkish deployment

13. Fixed cavalry inability to enter mountain hexes (stopped them from doing so)

14. Added new method of doing corps refits

15. Changed method of doing amphibious operations and added both sea zone status and a display of whether Britain is allowed to engage in amphibious operations yet.

16. Added display of endurance to naval unit display in Naval Orders.

17. Added a start message telling player to click the arrow button to start the game.

18. A new printer-friendly manual is included in this update. You can find this in the \manuals sub-folder of the game’s installation directory, or through the link in the Documentation folder in the program’s start group. - Bulgaria not showing up in Entente list if Germany declares war

19. Fixed a return to base problem for naval units

20. Naval combat no longer simultaneous

21. Cavalry movement restrictions better enforced

22. Fixed starting position problem for the Ottoman Empire

23. Addition of rail movement on the first of war for the Ottomans

24. Fixed problem of Austrian territory after Austrian surrender

25. Fixed problem of "decisive victory" not showing up

26. The game will no longer display ability to refit corps when supply is under 10%

27. Fixed artillery units retreating into neutral countries when no other option exists

28. Fixed Air recce oddity that could sometimes occur

29. Fixed territorial adjustment if Italy surrenders to France

30. Fixed "division by zero" error

31. Fixed an "access violation" error with saved games

32. Fixed a freeze error caused by a glitch in Amphibious movement

33. Fixed a bug related to crossing the Egypt/Palestine border

34. Fixed a bug related to Romania when it is on the CP side and surrenders, the territory handover was still done as if it were on the Entente side.

35. Fixed a bug with a lack of strategic rail movement on Turn 2

36. Fixed a bug that could move British units in France to Russia after a surrender

37. German transports rebased to Baltic say Return but don’t arrive, fixed.

38. Bug with Poison Gas print statement

hjaco -> RE: Second Beta Update Available (8/27/2007 10:18:35 PM)

I have to report the first bug in PBEM

Ahhh this is too much - bear over with me [;)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Playing as the Entente against EUBanana i was much amused by taking Trieste in impulse 1 august 1914 by a Serbs !

The AH fleet had chosen to sail to the western med. during the first strategy phase so they lacked a port to return to.

The result was instantaneous scuttling of their fleet [:'(]

On the other hand they had battled my BC the Invincible in the western med during the first strategy phase. I believed it sunk
during the next strategy phase as it get some hit.

Much to my disbelief there was naval combat in the western med as below. Not only was the apparently not so scuttled AH fleet still afloat, no it had recruited my mutinous crew on the Invincible convincing them to join their cause.

On the other side this was too much for one of their own ships which promptly joined battle against the rest of their fleet.

Ahhhh you have saved my day

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

PS - i have the save file if you want it.

[image]local://upfiles/24483/67D1F039020C46CDBA55DEF8EF1372B5.jpg[/image]

StkNRdr -> RE: Second Beta Update Available (8/27/2007 10:28:37 PM)

I like the amount of map now visible in the 2 higher graphic settings.  The problem using them is that on my 4:3 aspect 19" monitor the bottom part of the game screen, which depicts the unit info and battle results, does not all show.  I understand the patch was to help people with widescreens.  Does anyone else have this problem on 4:3?  Is there a non-patch adjustment I am not aware of?  To have the better map and the full screen info on a 4:3 aspect would require 1280 X 960.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI