Can't attack hex (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

Irish army63 -> Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:02:58 PM)

This question has probably been asked before, so apologies if it has been. As a novice at this game I'm wondering why your units something can't attack enemy hexes.

Also, a subsidiary question; when and how do you use air support to spy on enemy units?

Thanks

JudgeDredd -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:21:02 PM)

Attacking enemy hexes? You don't say, but I presume you have activated the HQ?

As for air power, I'm not sure. I think it's the first impulse after the strategic phase (or is it on the strategic phase). Either way, if you click on an enemy hex and have air power in the region, a menu option will appear offering air recon. Be aware that your air recon is limited.

SMK-at-work -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:21:21 PM)

There are a number of reasons you might not be able to attack and enemy hex - have you activated your infantry by using up a HQ point adjacentto them? If not then they won't be able to attack.

Cavalry cannot attack into city, rough and mountain hexes - in fact they can't even move into them even if they're yours, except by strategic movement.

And lastly attacking units have to meet the stacking limits of hte hex they're attacking into....so once that number of stacking points is attacking no more can be used to attack that hex.

You use air support by clicking on an anamy hex in hte activation phase. If you have any recce available then it will come up with a dialogue box asking if you want to use it.

The recce number in the dialogue box counts down as you use up your allowance for the turn, and the number of hexes you can recce this turn in each theatre is given in the ribbon across the top of the map like this i if I click on "Air Reconaissance #1" it will tell me what's in that hex, but I only have 1 air recce on hte western front this turn (W:1, and also 1 on hte Eastern front (E:1)

[image]local://upfiles/994/38CDBE0F97E84FBBB4F75925B2995EE0.jpg[/image]

boogada -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:21:40 PM)

To attack enemy hexes you have to activate a HQ unit first and then you can use the troops adjected to that HQ. Artillery can always attack those hexes.

You can use the air support also during the activation phase, be clicking on enemy units. (if you have air support on that front)

boogada -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:23:18 PM)

wow three answers during 38 seconds..... looks like somebody activated us...

JudgeDredd -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 1:25:02 PM)

lol...much more detailed and helpful answer than mine!!

Irish army63 -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 4:01:14 PM)

Thanks for that. Don't worry, I'm not quite so thick that I don't activate the HQs. The problem might be one of stacking limits. I'll check it out later and get back.

*Lava* -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 4:25:12 PM)

Well...

Make sure you don't try to move a stack with an un-activated HQ on top, it won't move. You have shuffle down below the HQ and if the counters are yellow, then the stack can attack (minus the un-activated HQ).

For Air Recon... remember that Activation time = Air Recon time. Do your air recon first before you decide where to attack and then activate the HQ's. Also remember to check where your artillery is because with a hex illuminated by air recon they take even more punishment from artillery.

So actually... the Activation phase has a lot of stuff to do besides just activating HQ's.

Ray (alias Lava)

Irish army63 -> RE: Can't attack hex (8/21/2007 5:44:42 PM)

Lava, I think you've answered my questions. Thank you.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI