Idiots Take the Field (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold >> Tech Support

O.O. Howard -> Idiots Take the Field (9/7/2007 5:38:49 AM)

Hello. No prob with this game until today. I am in my first multiplayer game. a tcp/ip game. we both have updated to 1.02.

After many turns I suggested to my friend that he save the game since he was host. He saved the game but also thought i wanted him to quit so we stopped.

restarting the game we both selected 'load multiplayer game' and he was host. he tries to load the save, but he gets an error that it is a prior version or something.

did we save the game wrong?

So we started again and saved each turn, playing briefly to test.

All his saves(and one of mine although i was not the original host) cannot be restarted and we get the same error message.

some knowledgeable patient person please explain, starting with the save process itself, how you get this to work.

Please be precise and slow. because we are idiots. [:(]

davetheroad -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/7/2007 11:38:23 AM)

I think only the host player needs to select the saved file, the joining player just joins. if both players select the saved file the game thinks you BOTH are trying to host???

Of course i might be writing rubbish!

Dave

SMK-at-work -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/7/2007 2:59:06 PM)

I've only played 1 TCPIP game and I never ever selected a file - I always joined the game the host was running - he told me that it auto-saved for him so we could stop any time, and he was always the one who started it again.

O.O. Howard -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/7/2007 7:03:53 PM)

Dave, We do not both try to load saved games at the same time. He tried to load the one he had as host but got an error message. When the obvious method didnt work i merely tried the odd approach of loading a saved game I made as the player who joined the game. We didnt try loading a game at the same time, but i am sure you are right and it wont work. SMK... i think we need to turn auto save ON,  if he has it off. it sounds like the game automatically loads auto-saves for multiplayer?

firepowerjohan -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/7/2007 7:59:54 PM)

Can you save a normal game a pbem or a hotseat and load such save i.e. is this problem only in TcpIP or for all saves from a particular machine.

O.O. Howard -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/8/2007 5:42:34 PM)

Problem solved. We ovelooked a minor detail in loading saved games.

So the game works GREAT!

Tcp/ip Commander game is the most fun i have had with a computer in a long time.

Thanks for trying to help guys, but it was not the game at all.

It surprises me that even one of the guys from the game tried to help![&o]

If anyone else has trouble starting or loading multiplayer tcp/ip games, I can talk you through it, since, i have made every mistake imaginable )

cchaudard -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/9/2007 10:08:50 AM)

You are not alone, having trouble with TCPIP. We are trying to play with a fellow player and we cannot find a way to connect together. One player host the game, give his IP adresss collected with whatismyip to the other player, and ... nothing. We cannot click on the validate button, only on the cross button, returning us to the multiplayer menu. Is there a mysterious manipulation that we have forgotten?

O.O. Howard -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/9/2007 4:15:07 PM)

cchauddard,

I do have some advice. If the joiner tries to 'join' first it seems to wreck your chance of connecting. Make sure the Host starts up first.

Another advice... make sure the host removes the 'firewall' or you will never connect.

Another advice, and this could be the problem for you... if you failed on first try, you MUST both completely restart the game. I think if you just back out one step and come back the joiner especially comes back to the failed attempt. In other words, the game is still working on your first (failed) attempt to connect and so you cant do anything at all with the screen.

Final advice... dont give up! This game is WELL worth a little frustration at start. Once you get it up and running its very smooth. So cchaudard, i want to hear from you that you either did or did not get it working.

IainMcNeil -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/10/2007 12:36:51 PM)

Great - glad it is working. Is there anything we could do to somplify the process? If you made mistakes you can be sure others will too.

O.O. Howard -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/14/2007 2:32:10 AM)

Iain McNeil:

The mistakes were intuitive. Now that I know the correct way to work it, the correct way has become intuitive.

For example, to join a multiplayer game... you dont actually click on the check-mark box at the bottom of the screen... you click on the big JOIN square at the top. Its little stuff like that.

Here is another... to load a multiplayer game the host will see at the bottom of the screen the very words he typed last time he saved. But he must not click on that, since it isnt a proper file. Instead, look up at the filenames above and you will see 'TCIPxxxxxxx.data' or something like that, with xxxxxx being the name the host saved it under. click on THAT and now you have got your saved game reloaded.

Iain, its all little things like that. Nothing buggy, bad, or wrong. 

IainMcNeil -> RE: Idiots Take the Field (9/14/2007 1:21:30 PM)

Ok but if you have suggestions on improvements then let us know :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI