RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> John Tiller's Battleground Series

Ashantai -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/8/2007 8:49:34 PM)

Err...you do know that you can't edit the map files and use them in the Civil War games, right?

gwack -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/8/2007 11:44:03 PM)

As my post indicates, I have modified/changed the map file....except for the placement of the walls, that, I cannot find. The map runs just fine with all my changes- so yes you can change/mod the map file. I have done it over and over. I just need to know where the wall placement data is. Perhaps it is hardcoded in some way.

Rocko911 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/9/2007 3:49:57 AM)

I agree on HPS needing digital downloads. They would probably see at least a 20% jump in sales. I have bought one of their games Squad Battles: Vietnam. Good but not great. Graphics leave something to be desired. They should look at hiring a new 3d graphic artist to do a face lift to their graphics. I also have felt that their website could use a more professional polish to it. Compare it to the Matrix website and you will see the difference quickly. People make decisions on buying from web based businesses by how polished their websites are. Cheap , junky website equals cheap junky product in their minds.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/9/2007 4:28:34 AM)

z

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/9/2007 4:38:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwack

I am near completion of a more accurate battlefield map for HPS Gettysburg. What I cannot seem to locate is where the data is that places the stone walls on the map. Some of the walls are in dire need of changing or deletion to conform to the actual field. Please, if anyone knows where to direct me in the files so I change the placement of the stone walls, I would be grateful beyond measure. [:D]

Examples: Imagine 19 hexsides going from left to right diagonally

A) North and Northeast per hex

(
##88
##88
##88
##8
!

or

B) North only per hex

(
!((
!!((
!!((
!!((
!!(
!

Johnus -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/10/2007 2:03:40 AM)

For me the most important improvement by HPS was the introduction of on screen combat results. Constantly shifting my focus from the screen to the combat results box gave me a terrific headache.

AP514 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/12/2007 3:49:08 PM)

RE:A/I

If you are buy'n Any HPS or BG to play solo "YOUR WASTE'N YOUR MONEY"  
The A/I is so bad it is not funny.
The A/I Can barely handle getting troop from point A to B. When the A/I actually gets troops in a position to block
you. It will do something totally stupid like turn afew units about face to you. Or put Arty in its front line limbered w/no support.

The only reason to buy  BG or any HPS game is to play via - PBEM

IF you plan on play'n Vs A/I ---YOUR WASTE"N YOUR MONEY

AP514

P. S.   I have all the old BG SERIES (All 9) and afew of  HPS Campaigns

berto -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/12/2007 6:18:44 PM)

quote:

If you are buy'n Any HPS or BG to play solo "YOUR WASTE'N YOUR MONEY"

Maybe not. If you view these titles less as competitive games and more as simulations and tools for historical exploration, either of

--Hot Seat play, where you the solitaire player alternate taking both sides, each with FOW, and where you play by your own set of "house rules" (e.g., forget your knowledge of the historical battle, try to pretend you don't know the other side's plans and disposition, etc.).
--Commander Control play (again probably solitaire), where both sides are equally handicapped by the same, inept AI "assistant". (There is a great article somewhere--here at the Matrix Forum?--where the poster argues in favor of using Commander Control all the time, exclusively, because in Real Life even the best of 'em were occasionally fumbling and inept. Where is that link?)

might satisfy you.

Years ago, before the PC era, when these games were strictly tabletop affairs, I was by far mainly a solitaire player. I enjoyed myself then. As a solitaire player now, the enjoyment is far better.

(To you guys who swear by head-to-head competition and PBEM, and occasionally swear at those who think otherwise: To each his own. PC wargaming is a pretty big tent and has room for all comers.)

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/23/2007 12:34:14 AM)

Someone asked if the HPS and BG games were compatable. No

But here is an example of some of the Civil War series optional rule differences. Talonsoft/Matrix on top, HPS on the bottom.

[image]local://upfiles/25213/434672AEC1BD4A3E9E35F6582B72B148.jpg[/image]

Panama Red -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/23/2007 2:52:54 AM)

For HPS to offer Download games, it would mean that HPS could no longer force you to use their CD in the PC to play their games versus Matrix which does not require the CD to be in the PC to run their games.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/23/2007 6:10:32 AM)

You most certainly DO NOT need the CD for each game to run HPS games.  In fact, one could use a single "magic" CD to run ALL HPS and BG games. 

True, you need to buy the HPS CD and install it, but once done, you can store it away and NEVER use it again. 

Instructions:

1) Install game normally on HD

2) Create a temp folder

3) With in the temp folder, create another folder for each game, i.e. Campaign Shiloh, Campaign Chickamauga, BGG, BGBR, etc...

4) For each game folder, copy the .exe files (only) and place in appropriate folder. Example: Campaign Atlanta will have 4 files. 1) cp_start.exe 2) cpt.exe 3) cwcamp.exe 4) cwedit.exe

5) Copy all game folders from temp folder to new CD and burn away.

New CD should have folders titled the same as on HD, and play as if game CD were in drive.

Panama Red -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/23/2007 6:55:33 AM)

The whole point is that you still need a CD to play HPS games (be it original CD or copy), where with Matrix games, you do not!!!

Motomouse -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 12:20:56 AM)

While I hate it, hps could use a e-license system, but I would prefer the matrix way, seems to be succesfull anyway 

AlvinS -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 7:37:33 PM)

quote:

Just curious, how many of you folks have at least one copy of John Tiller's ACW or nappy games published by HPS?

acwbuff63

I do not have any of the Civil War Series, but I do own three squad battles titles and love them. If you could only have one game in the Civil War Series at HPS which one would it be. I ask because I can only afford one at the moment.

I do love the Battle Ground series and am finally happy to have them all in one place. I had only owned Antietam before.

rhondabrwn -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 10:20:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvinS

quote:

Just curious, how many of you folks have at least one copy of John Tiller's ACW or nappy games published by HPS?

acwbuff63

I do not have any of the Civil War Series, but I do own three squad battles titles and love them. If you could only have one game in the Civil War Series at HPS which one would it be. I ask because I can only afford one at the moment.

I do love the Battle Ground series and am finally happy to have them all in one place. I had only owned Antietam before.
e

Without a doubt, I recommend HPS Campaign Gettysburg if you only can afford one of the series. While I own Campaign Shiloh, Campaign Atlanta, and Campaign Chickamauga also, I have played Gettysburg far more than the other titles. It is still THE Civil War campaign in my estimation and offers a tremendous range of outcomes in the campaign mode and an extensive library of scenarios for individual battles. There are also alternative graphic sets available for this game so you can easily make it look more like BG. To my knowledge, I haven't found new graphics out there for the newer games in the series and I had problems with Shiloh's set so Gettysburg is the only one I have modded.

You really can't go too far wrong with any of them though if you prefer the Western theater campaigns. The series is well worth your money even with the less than stellar unit graphics (you do get used to them after awhile). The huge campaign maps are just stunning.

berto -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 10:35:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I haven't found new graphics out there for the newer games in the series and I had problems with Shiloh's set so Gettysburg is the only one I have modded.

At the ACW Campaign Games Design Center, I've successfully used Rolf Hall's Shiloh (IIRC) graphics set with the three HPS CW games I own, Shiloh, Chickamauga, and Vicksburg. (I'm partial to the war in the west.) In fact, I'm playing a scenario from HPS Vicksburg using the Hall 3D graphics even as I write this. Be prepared to experiment, maybe selectively using some files and not others, but BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL GRAPHICS FILES FIRST!

rhondabrwn -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 10:37:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama Red

The whole point is that you still need a CD to play HPS games (be it original CD or copy), where with Matrix games, you do not!!!

Yep, even with a "master disk" created it is still a chore having my CD drive tied up with it inserted or else it's just another CD that I have to have laying about constantly.

If there was really ANY anti-piracy value to this protection system I would be tolerant, but it doesn't do anything to protect HPS. I lost my HPS Campaign Atlanta CD (foolishly mailed it to NetFlix I think when returning a movie). Then I got the great advice (form multiple sources) that all I had to do was copy a couple of files back off my hard drive to create my "master CD" and I was back in business. I didn't even need need the original install CD's to create the master. Once I've installed the game I'm all set. For backup purposes I can just copy the Campaign Atlanta folder to my backup hard drive (or burn to a disk) and I have essentially replaced my lost CD in every way.

Tiller has a mindset on this issue that is getting in the way of listening to the fans of the series. I would be quite happy for them to use the Matrix serial Number system so I could just ditch the CD in the drive forever. The Matrix system would provide a lot more in the way of real piracy protection as well.

Just my two cents.

AlvinS -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/24/2007 10:56:23 PM)

quote:

Without a doubt, I recommend HPS Campaign Gettysburg if you only can afford one of the series. While I own Campaign Shiloh, Campaign Atlanta, and Campaign Chickamauga also, I have played Gettysburg far more than the other titles. It is still THE Civil War campaign in my estimation and offers a tremendous range of outcomes in the campaign mode and an extensive library of scenarios for individual battles. There are also alternative graphic sets available for this game so you can easily make it look more like BG. To my knowledge, I haven't found new graphics out there for the newer games in the series and I had problems with Shiloh's set so Gettysburg is the only one I have modded.

You really can't go too far wrong with any of them though if you prefer the Western theater campaigns. The series is well worth your money even with the less than stellar unit graphics (you do get used to them after awhile). The huge campaign maps are just stunning.

rhondabrwn

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I will eventually own them all.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/25/2007 3:35:04 AM)

I would get the game that offers you the battle(s) that interests you the most.  You'll notice that they are named for a particular battle, but each has multiple battles.  For example: HPS Chickamauga also features Perryville, Stones River, and Chattanooga.  It also features "what ifs" around Nashville, Frankfort, etc...    

BTW, the HPS website is not the cheapest place to purchase. Just google the game title you want.

AlvinS -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/25/2007 5:30:21 AM)

quote:

BTW, the HPS website is not the cheapest place to purchase. Just google the game title you want.

I just follow the link in my signature. Naval Warefare Simulations sells all of the HPS titles and I can get the ACW games for $29.95.

rhondabrwn -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/25/2007 7:42:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlvinS

quote:

rhondabrwn

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. I will eventually own them all.

Me too... I can't decide whether to go for The Peninsula Campaign or Vicksburg next. I think I could learn a lot from the former as I rather weak on those battles. Vicksburg, I've been too and have more familiarity, but the campaign seems to have a sense of futility about it... could the South have saved Vicksburg? Or was it just a matter of time? Campaign Corinth has some interesting "what ifs" and is a situation that is more balanced.

Meanwhile, I'm in the middle of a 268 turn PBEM battle as part of Campaign Gettysburg. We drew at Brandy Station and the next battle is quite challenging. Neither of us have any good idea of enemy dispositions and cavalry is ranging all over the map screening and scouting. The map is so huge that if you send a corps down a road it will take 20 turns to get there and you have no idea what they are going to find! And if the enemy is elsewhere... well, it's a long march back to where the action really is. It's quite a challenge, but it will take months to play out. Contrast that with a quick BG Gettysburg scenario.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/25/2007 7:50:56 AM)

IMHO, I would go for C.P. first. The game is more balanced. Vicksburg is very slanted for the Union. Mostly medium to large battles. Vicksburg has mostly smaller scale battles with difficult confederate win chances.

Ashantai -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/25/2007 11:09:56 PM)

Gettysburg is the best of them, rhondabrwn is spot on.

I'd recommend Peninsula next. Vicksburg is OK...but probably my least favourite of the series.

I rank them as such:
Gettysburg
Peninsula
Shiloh
Chickamauga
Ozark
Atlanta
Vicksburg

Don't have Franklin.

AlvinS -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/26/2007 2:41:02 AM)

Well I have it narrowed down to two. Either Gettysburg or Chickamauga. I used to live aroung the Chickamauga area when I was young, and also in Nashville having fished on the Stones River many times. I have visited Missionary Ridge in Chattanooga where the Battle of the Clouds was fought.

Gettysburg seems to have alot to offer and the graphics update looks really great, although I do not have a problem with the original graphics. I love John Tiller games and shoud be good no matter which way I go.

Thanks for all of the replies. It has been very helpful.

captskillet -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/27/2007 10:51:37 PM)

Looks like Friday week (Dec 7th) is gonna be busy.............indications are that HPS is gonna release another ACW or Nappy title that day & Matrix is doing something with WITP!!!!

PS...........I agree with Ashantai, Getty & Peninsula are the best..............lots o' map territory & scenarios with both (Peninsula has the whole 7 Days camapign !)............IMHO you cant go wrong with any of them as own the lot!!!![;)] [:D]

Brigz -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/28/2007 3:49:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Looks like Friday week (Dec 7th) is gonna be busy.............indications are that HPS is gonna release another ACW or Nappy title that day & Matrix is doing something with WITP!!!!

If HPS releases another ACW my guess would be Antietam or one of the Bull Run Campaigns. They've already been done by Talonsoft so it'd make sense to fill out the Campaign series with one of these. However, I did hear a while back that the next HPS ACW Campaign game might be about a lesser little know subject. Just have to wait and see. A Shenandoah Campaign would be superb.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/28/2007 8:46:34 AM)

HPS titles are chosen by the interest level of the designers. So it could be anything. Perhaps even the Red River Campaign.

Rhetor -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (11/28/2007 11:48:32 AM)

The price of the dollar has got so low, that maybe I will finally buy one of the HPS games. But having to wait a few weeks for the delivery is really annoying. I do very much prefer digital download - a few mouse clicks, some typing, an hour+ of downloading and the game is ready to play.

Peninsula would be my choice in the Civil War field; in the Napoleonics I might get tempted by Jena-Auerstadt or Wagram.

sparty_slith -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (12/8/2007 8:13:12 AM)

I just ordered HPS Campaign Gettysburg.  I hope I'm not spoiling myself because as I see now, not all the civil war battles series have as deep of campaign setups as Gettysburg.  That said, coverage of the west is intriguing since it was not really covered in the TS series.

acwbuff63 -> RE: John Tiller's ACW and Nappy games at HPS (12/8/2007 7:49:51 PM)

HPS offers a 5 for 3 deal if you get hungry.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI