Well done lads (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

JudgeDredd -> Well done lads (9/13/2007 10:40:11 AM)

I think a deserved congratulations to Scotland are in order...

France 0 - Scotland 1

Sitting pretty in the group of death

[image]local://upfiles/10786/33544593F87E4687A91222487754837E.jpg[/image]

Zap -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 10:58:03 AM)

did not paste correctly

Could not get the statsistics to copy correctly. Judge is the above in reference to world cup qualifications.? I'm an american remember so you can forgive my ignorance.

I looked at world cup divisions A,B,C, and D did not see Scotland.

Marc von Martial -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 11:21:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

did not paste correctly

Could not get the statsistics to copy correctly. Judge is the above in reference to world cup qualifications.? I'm an american remember so you can forgive my ignorance.

I looked at world cup divisions A,B,C, and D did not see Scotland.

European Championships qualifications. Tournament is in 2008 in Austria/Switzerland. Germany will flatten all contestants :D

Anyway, well done Scotland!

Neilster -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 11:24:15 AM)

Yes, my mate Doug at work is very happy. Scortlaarnd!

Cheers, Neilster

JudgeDredd -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 11:26:38 AM)

Oops...apologies. Forgot how diverse a community it is here...

As Marc says, it's the 2008 European Cup qualifiers. Scotland are in the "group of death", so called because Italy are the current World Cup holders and France held it the four years before. So sitting pretty on top of it is a sight for sore eyes....especially if you knew, historically, how bad the Scotland football team really was!

Some tough games coming up - against Ukraine, Italy and even Georgia are more than capable of giving Scotland a bloody nose...

Mac67 -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 11:50:16 AM)

England didn't do too bad last night either. 3 - 0 vs Russia. Michael Owen bought his goal total for England to 40, only 10 more to go and he beats Bobby Charlton's all-time record. [:)]

Shaun -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 12:39:14 PM)

quote:

European Championships qualifications. Tournament is in 2008 in Austria/Switzerland. Germany will flatten all contestants :

LOL, Engand always does well, unless its a game that actually matters, can be great or awful team if it is of no consequnce we will do ok ;) If it actually matters, we will play well but lose or play bad and lose lol...

I have a theory on UK v Germany games, I think that after 2 W wars, the UK is scared of beating Germany again in case we "provoke" them .....<G> lol,

Shaun

Marc von Martial -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 12:43:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun
I have a theory on UK v Germany games, I think that after 2 W wars, the UK is scared of beating Germany again in case we "provoke" them .....<G> lol,

I think it just shows that without help from other countries you simply can beat us [:'(]. Maybe England should check for some players in the MLS, hehehe

Loosing in Wembley against the german C-team. Oh my god ....

Marc von Martial -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 12:46:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac67
Michael Owen bought his goal total for England to 40, only 10 more to go and he beats Bobby Charlton's all-time record. [:)]

I'm very happy for Owen, it is great to see he really comes back after that horrible injury from the World Cup.

Marauders -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 12:47:16 PM)

It must be tough for Scotland having to play in kilts and all. [;)]

I have often wondered why England and Scotland each have a team when France, Italy, and Germany are historically as diverse regionally as the United Kingdom.  Why not a Bayern, Burgundian, or Sicilian team?  Why does Russia have only one team?

Shaun Wallace -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 12:56:09 PM)

quote:

I think this proves the theory and actually its a VERY good point about regional teams ;)

Shaun

JudgeDredd -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 1:22:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marauders

I have often wondered why England and Scotland each have a team when France, Italy, and Germany are historically as diverse regionally as the United Kingdom. Why not a Bayern, Burgundian, or Sicilian team? Why does Russia have only one team?

quote:

Why does Russia have only one team

Well I'll answer you from a Scots point of view (any English are more than welcome to have their say) [:D]

You couldn't super glue England and Scotland together in either football or rugby. They've beaten us so many times, it just isn't possible to make friends with "the auld enemy".

On the topic of football (and rugby), a UK team is a joke of an idea. It would be full of English players, ergo a UK team would be English. And I'm not really suggesting this would be through bias, simply that they have far more good players than the other "UK" resident countries.

Although, if anyone remembers the Lions tour when that dickhead of a coach (Sir Clive Woodward) choose some lacklustre England players (on the back of the World cup I think) over physically fitter, mentally more focused and superior Welsh, Scottish and Irish players on one tour, one has to wonder. My memory of the event is sketchy...so if anyone wants to be clearer, feel free to do so.

Joram -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 7:53:37 PM)

quote:

I have often wondered why England and Scotland each have a team when France, Italy, and Germany are historically as diverse regionally as the United Kingdom.  Why not a Bayern, Burgundian, or Sicilian team?  Why does Russia have only one team?

It's due to the fact that England, Northern Ireland (previously it was all of Ireland), Wales, and Scotland are indeed separate countries which through treaty agree to adhere to one Monarch and parliament. Thus the "United Kingdom".

If you go back far enough in time, I'm sure you could raise some arguments in some countries where they would have similar situations but to be honest, I think it is smarter to combine the diverse areas into one team rather than splitting them up like the UK does. Yes, it would be English dominated but you have Keane from Ireland and I'm sure some Scottish guys that aren't coming into mind that would be valuable members of a United team. So while England is usually a powerhouse, I do think they shoot themselves in the foot (Rooney's foot in particular) when they choose to segregate their teams.

shunwick -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 8:44:34 PM)

Well done indeed to Scotland. That even lifted my English heart. [:)]

Best wishes,

105mm Howitzer -> RE: Well done lads (9/13/2007 9:05:36 PM)

[:D]Enjoy it while you can, signori, gli Azzuri will triumph again. Desole France, ce n'est pas votre tour encore.[:D]

Jevhaddah -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 12:49:56 AM)

Were doomed I tell yoo DOOMED!!!!! [X(]

Cheers

Jev

Dabo -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 1:37:41 AM)

quote:

Because the modern football was pretty much invented in the UK: the first body of rules was established in 1886 by the International Football Association Board composed by the four UK soccer associations. FIFA was created in 1904 by the continental European nations in opposition to the IFAB, when the British associations agreed to join FIFA to recompose the schism they were allowed the keep different national teams and associations.

BTW the IFAB still controls the rules of football although now it’s composed by 4 FIFA members and one members from each of the home nations with a qualified majority of 6 votes.

Dabo -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 1:43:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

You couldn't super glue England and Scotland together in either football or rugby. They've beaten us so many times, it just isn't possible to make friends with "the auld enemy".

If I'm not mistaken for the 2012 Olympics games there will be a UK football team but only because the games are in London.

Mac67 -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 1:48:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marc Schwanebeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaun

I think it just shows that without help from other countries you simply can beat us [:'(]. Maybe England should check for some players in the MLS, hehehe

Losing to Germany was just a cunning ruse to lure our European Championship Qualifying opponents into a false sense of security [;)]

Joram -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 2:34:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabo

quote:

Because the modern football was pretty much invented in the UK: the first body of rules was established in 1886 by the International Football Association Board composed by the four UK soccer associations. FIFA was created in 1904 by the continental European nations in opposition to the IFAB, when the British associations agreed to join FIFA to recompose the schism they were allowed the keep different national teams and associations.

BTW the IFAB still controls the rules of football although now it’s composed by 4 FIFA members and one members from each of the home nations with a qualified majority of 6 votes.

I like your explanation better than mine! Into world history but not FIFA history though I played soccer all my life.

Dabo -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 2:48:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

I like your explanation better than mine! Into world history but not FIFA history though I played soccer all my life.

LOL your explanation makes sense too considering that the first international football mach ever was England vs Scotland :)

JudgeDredd -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 9:34:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Cheers

Jev

Ah, Jev....you must be old skool scots like me. Remember Allys Army?

I'm with you, not the youngsters who get carried away with the ho-ha...I remember how it can all go pear shaped against a country like Iran, or Peru!

In the France game, there were 37 seconds left on the clock, France (who didn't have too many chances by the way) were in our half and had the ball...and I was still thinking Scotland could lose the game!!

Jevhaddah -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 4:12:02 PM)

Heheh I remember back in the 70's saying to my dad that the individual Scottish Players were good at football for their respective teams, but when they played for Scotland they turned into a bunch of Prima Donna's. They just ponced about around the pitch falling over at random intervals, putting on an Oscar winning performance to get a free kick, which if they actually were awarded they would bugger up anyway[:D]

I still shudder at Ally's Army....[sm=nono.gif]

I stopped watching Scotland Play and my blood pressure is fine now [:)]

Cheers

Jev

Mac67 -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 10:56:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Cheers

Jev

Ah, Jev....you must be old skool scots like me. Remember Allys Army?

I still remember Andy Cameron singing Ally's Tartan Army on Top of the Pops!

"We're on the march wi' Ally's Army,
We're going tae the Argentine,
And we'll really shake them up,
When we win the World Cup,
'Cos Scotland is the greatest football team,
We're representing Britain,
And we're gaunny do or die,
England cannae dae it,
'Cos they didnae qualify!

We're on the march wi' Ally's Army,
We're going tae the Argentine,
And we'll really shake them up,
When we win the World Cup,
'Cos Scotland is the greatest football team!"

JudgeDredd -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 10:57:58 PM)

LMAO...I cannot beliebe you brought that up!!! You English Swine that ye arrrrrrreeee.

Mac67 -> RE: Well done lads (9/14/2007 11:03:54 PM)

[:D] 

Only problem is, now that i have remembered it, i can't get the bloody tune out of my head! Its going to be haunting me for the rest of the night now.....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI