How to guarantee a level playing field (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Commander - Europe at War Gold

artyar -> How to guarantee a level playing field (9/14/2007 7:26:01 AM)

I am new at this. I am playing a game and getting my ass kicked. The player I am playing against (axis) was able to take over demark, holland, belgium and yugoslavia in one turn each. i.e. attacked and conquered on the same turn. Maybe he is just a great player...and that certainly is a possiblity...but Yugoslavia in one turn???

He is probably not cheating but when the above happens my eyebrows raise. Any thoughts??? Am I just being a crybaby?

VonManteuffel -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/14/2007 8:17:14 AM)

If he hits the city with all his air and then attacks it with units that have good leaders attached, they can all go pretty easily in one turn. Generally one would want to have Manstein attached (or maybe Rommel), but in some cases, with bad luck, the cities will hold out with one or two points left.

Getting good luck on all of them in one game seems unlikely without reloading, to be honest.

artyar -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/14/2007 9:10:51 AM)

Well if it is possible for Belgium and Yugoslovia to go in one turn then I am probably just being paranoid. there is no doubt he is a good player. Its just that I am playing in three other PBEM games and I have played the AI a bit too and I have just not seen the results he is able to get. When he attacked Russia he went through evrything like butter even though I had invested in labs, etc... I tried to counter-attack with all the armor I had been building and they were just eliminated. They did not retreat...they were just gone when he sent his turn. I think I might have just counter-attacked too soon. Live and learn I guess.

davetheroad -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/14/2007 12:29:01 PM)

The problem with playing PBEM is assesing what ratio of labs to units to go for. My experience agains better players is they seem to go for a LOT of labs, a couple of hits from hi tech armour and air power and your unit is dead. Germany starts with an advantage here as they are the country able to invest in labs. Having the initiative and dictating the game play is a key to success.

In 3 PBEM games I tried a similar strategy as russia, massive counterattack where the german commanders and armour were not, it worked against a player of the same experience as me but not so far against a experienced opponent.

Playing with random labs makes it worse as you are more likely to get tech increases with this setting.

It is frustrating not seeing how your units were killed as how can you learn and improve your gameplay.I was hoping the new patch would offer something here but nothing forthcoming

Happycat -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/17/2007 5:35:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: artyar

I am new at this. I am playing a game and getting my ass kicked. The player I am playing against (axis) was able to take over demark, holland, belgium and yugoslavia in one turn each. i.e. attacked and conquered on the same turn. Maybe he is just a great player...and that certainly is a possiblity...but Yugoslavia in one turn???

He is probably not cheating but when the above happens my eyebrows raise. Any thoughts??? Am I just being a crybaby?

It is easy to take these countries out in one turn. As VonManteuffel points out, it would actually be bad luck if an experienced player did NOT get these countries in one turn.

Also, bear in mind that one turn is 20 days---and that is about as long as any of those countries lasted in real time anyway.

That having been said, I think that if an opponent always seems to have good luck, and is generally catching all of the breaks, it would be questionable, to say the least. Von Manteuffel mentions "reloading". That is a tactic that can be used to cheat the system, although it is still hit and miss---it might take many reloads before all of the battles in one turn go your way (anyone with the amount of time on their hands that THIS would take seriously needs to get a life btw). A more likely way of cheating is an opponent doctoring the text files. Apparently PBEM and TCIP games will work fine even when players are using different text files. So, your opponent could be giving himself some advantages that you never would know about.

Personally, I think the incidence of cheating in wargaming is going to be very low (except in "ladder" games where there is the possiblity of having your name up in lights. I suppose that cheating might appeal to someone who values glory over integrity). Most of us who play games like CEAW are not doing so in order to become "famous" for being great players. Just like the girls, we "just wanna have fun" (and explore history in a very enjoyable way).

Oh---and welcome to the forum [:)]

YohanTM2 -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/18/2007 4:54:11 AM)

Heck,

IDG has it down so even Sweden falls in one turn. As does Yugoslavia.

SMK-at-work -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/18/2007 5:10:29 AM)

Anything can fall in 1 turn if you have enough airpower.

YohanTM2 -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/19/2007 4:09:06 AM)

yes sir

Major Victory -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/19/2007 4:50:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Anything can fall in 1 turn if you have enough airpower.

Is this game set in WW2 or modern era "Desert Storm".

SMK-at-work -> RE: How to guarantee a level playing field (9/19/2007 4:59:00 AM)

It's in the panzer general universe!! :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI