Map & counter mod (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918

GJK -> Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 1:13:28 AM)

I will be uploading this to the FTP area for members here at Matrix Games once completed:

[image]http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/GOA-screen4.jpg[/image]

More screens HERE

Feedback welcomed. [:)]

FrankHunter -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 1:48:27 AM)

Looks good, has a nice, clear, boargame-ish look to it.

EUBanana -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 2:14:11 AM)

Looks very good.  

SMK-at-work -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 3:10:55 AM)

Nice look except for the nato symbols which I dislike as anachronistic to the era - can you do a version of it that retains the pictures??

flintlock -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 7:03:06 AM)

Looks great, GJK. Looking forward to it (I especially like the NATO symbols)!

TheBlackhorse -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 5:35:48 PM)

I dig the map. I'm not too sure about the counters.

Nonetheless, you're to be applauded for putting all the work into something that most like!

Rob Brennan UK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 5:39:32 PM)

I love both map and counters [&o].

nice work

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 7:34:42 PM)

Ok, I've uploade the map to the link below. The counters are still a work in progress. I think that the counters that came with the game look just fine on this map, so if you don't care for the NATO symbols or don't want to wait for the counters you can just use the map for now.

After backing up your original file, unzip this file to your game directory in the GRAPHICS folder. The name of the file is 'GOAmap.bmp' (once unzipped) so you will want to rename or copy your original file of the same name before you unzip there in case you want to revert back.

Link: ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/GunsOfAugust/GOAmap.zip

ess1 -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 8:35:07 PM)

Thanks for your efforts.   Much appreciated.

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/15/2007 9:02:18 PM)

If anybody notices any errors or has any suggestions, let me know.

Joel Rauber -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 3:01:40 AM)

Looked at the wargamer site thread that you linked to.

IMO,

I like the map, but personally I prefer the original counters, I like the use of the flags in them and the small images.

I think the flag and the nato symbol being the same size makes the NATO counters look a bit awkward. I'd perhaps try making the NATO symbol smaller than the flag or vice versa

IronX -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 3:45:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Nice look except for the nato symbols which I dislike as anachronistic to the era - can you do a version of it that retains the pictures??

Something like this?

[image]local://upfiles/17225/09131836B18B46FA8D2CD122D3D1F9F0.jpg[/image]

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 4:56:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Rauber

Looked at the wargamer site thread that you linked to.

IMO,

I like the map, but personally I prefer the original counters, I like the use of the flags in them and the small images.

I think the flag and the nato symbol being the same size makes the NATO counters look a bit awkward. I'd perhaps try making the NATO symbol smaller than the flag or vice versa

I've thought about doing away with the flag altogether, putting the Corps symbol 'XXX' on top of the NATO and symbol and then perhaps a 2 letter designation for the country, ala "Paths of Glory" (boardgame).

Joel Rauber -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 7:02:25 AM)

In the end it is going to be a matter of taste. I suppose if one is feeling particularly creative one could make several different styles of counter-sets and let individuals choose.

Of all the ones I've seen on this thread and the wargamer thread I personally prefer the games original counters, though I can see how others might prefer some of the renderings that we have seen.

On another note I think we have seen near universal preference for your map.

Nice work! The counters look nice to as well, just stating some of my own personal preferences.[8D]

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 10:08:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Rauber

In the end it is going to be a matter of taste. I suppose if one is feeling particularly creative one could make several different styles of counter-sets and let individuals choose.

Of all the ones I've seen on this thread and the wargamer thread I personally prefer the games original counters, though I can see how others might prefer some of the renderings that we have seen.

On another note I think we have seen near universal preference for your map.

Nice work! The counters look nice to as well, just stating some of my own personal preferences.[8D]

Though I personally prefer the NATO symbols (obviously), I think that the original counters would look great as well *if* the gradient wasn't used at all, and I'm not particularly fond of some of the color choices. If I get ambitious enough, I may make a set that uses a solid color with everything else that the originals have.

pkpowers -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 12:29:36 PM)

Great work! I love the map and I'd love the nato counters, thanks again for the mods

cantona2 -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 2:17:23 PM)

Looks great, very thankful to those of you modders that share your skills with the rest. Are the mods now up or still a work in progress?

Pford -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 5:04:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronX

Something like this?

[image]local://upfiles/17225/09131836B18B46FA8D2CD122D3D1F9F0.jpg[/image]

Outstanding, IronX.

*Lava* -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 5:20:53 PM)

Indeed...

Nice counters IronX!

Ray (alias Lava)

TheBlackhorse -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 5:41:29 PM)

IronX, Nice work! How do the other countries' counters look?

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 6:02:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Looks great, very thankful to those of you modders that share your skills with the rest. Are the mods now up or still a work in progress?

The map that I did is available, Link: ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/GunsOfAugust/GOAmap.zip

I should have my counters ready fairly soon, looks like Lava might have his set ready soon as well.

IronX -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 7:34:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse06

They are the only ones I've done at the moment. I wanted to gauge people's reactions and take on board any preferences before I press on and make more. They do take a while to make so I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before proceeding further.

HobbesACW -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 8:22:59 PM)

Wonderful IronX. I can't wait to see more!

Lascar -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 8:51:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse06

They are the only ones I've done at the moment. I wanted to gauge people's reactions and take on board any preferences before I press on and make more. They do take a while to make so I wanted to make sure I was on the right track before proceeding further.

You are definitely on the right track. Well done.

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 9:42:28 PM)

For those interested in the NATO symbol style of counters, this is what I'm playing with now:

[image]http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/GOA-screen5.jpg[/image]

IronX -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 10:12:27 PM)

Nice! It's a shame the flag looks a little squashed. I guess there's only so much info you squeeze onto a small counter.[:(] But I do like the army and corps identifications.

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 10:35:21 PM)

Yeah, looking at it again, I don't like the squashed look. I think that I can make them look better though if I "hand draw" them in that size instead of transforming the originals. Still playing with it; I like that layout.

junk2drive -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 10:41:24 PM)

I am not an old counter pusher but do you even need a flag on them? Doesn't the base colour tell you the country?

GJK -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/16/2007 10:48:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I am not an old counter pusher but do you even need a flag on them? Doesn't the base colour tell you the country?

You don't, and I've played around with no flag at all but I like the extra color that it adds to the counter but crap, I don't know - I'm probably over thinking it and should just play the freakin' game already. :D

pelle75 -> RE: Map & counter mod (9/17/2007 1:41:04 AM)

Very nice! Although I do not mind the NATO symbols (or whatever they were called during WW1, but they looked quite similar back then, right?), but I think I will keep the nice original unit symbols (but this inspired me to try to remove the gradients).

EDIT: The forest in 28,28 looks much like rough terrain. And perhaps the big grey area in the SW, if it serves no purpose, could be used to include some terrain effects charts etc like in a board game. :)

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI