KG Real Player League II (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker

DonBraswell -> KG Real Player League II (9/26/2007 9:21:50 PM)

OK, I decided to start a new League. I played until 1976 with the old League, but hate all of the Divisions. This time I'll try the easy way, Started in 1920 and took the Yankees. 1920 was going very well, Yankees in first place fighting off Washington and Detroit. Then on August 16th the Yankees went into a tail spin, losing eight in a row. They played just under .500 until September 15th. We climbed back up to 3rd place where we finnished 4 games back of Washington, who won the AL. The Giants beat Washington in 6 games inspite of Walter Johnson's 2 wins. Babe Ruth was MVP 50 HR, 136 RBI, .342 BA, 156 Runs, 106 BB and 22 SB. He just missed the Triple Crown.
1921, The Yanks were in a dog fight all season for the top spot. They fought off Washington, Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit until the last day of the season when they finnaly took the AL. Yanks 92 wins took on Pittsburgh 102 wins. The first three games the Pirates moped the floor with the Yanks. Yanks scored one run in the first 3 games. In game 4 George Morgridge with help from Rip Collins finnaly shut down the Pirates hitting machine. One home run by Ruth in the 5th was the only run scored. The Yankees had 3 hits and the Pirates had 8 hits. The Yankee pitching was able to spread out the Pirates hits enough and New York hit and scored just enough to take the next 3 games. It was a squiker. In any one of the last 4 games until the bottom of the 9th was over, the game could have gone either way. The Pirates had runners in scoring position. Man, they were all nail bitters.
Don

DonBraswell -> RE: KG Real Player League II (9/28/2007 12:58:51 AM)

1922, The Yankees added Joe Dugan, Everett Scott, Whitey Witt and Dazzy Vance to the team. Bob Shawkey (22-9 2.61) 1922 Best Pitcher, Waite Hoyt (19-12 3.51) (picked up in May), Dazzy Vance (18-9 3.39) and Carl Mays (14-15 3.55) were the starters this year. Babe Ruth (37, 115, .327) was the 1922 AL MVP. New York won the AL by 7 games over Washington with Detroit 9 games back. The Giants took the NL followed by St Louis 11 games back and Pittsburg 14 back. The Yankees 90-64 now face the Giants 101-53.

Don

DonBraswell -> RE: KG Real Player League II (9/29/2007 6:46:21 AM)

1923 World Championship
Giants 101-53 St Louis finnished 6 back. Yankees 90-64 Washington finnished 7 back.

Game 1 NYY 8 NYG 4 Bob Shawkey vs Art Nehf
Game 2 NYY 6 NYG 4 Waite Hoyt vs Jesse Barnes
Game 3 NYG 4 NYY 10 Phil Douglas vs Dazzy Vance
Game 4 NYG 1 NYY 7 Art Nehf vs Carl Mays

Walter Shang hit 4 HRs 12 RBI .588 BA . Ruth was 1 HR 3 RBI .467 . Meusel 2 RBI .375 . Whitey Witt scored 3 runs and hit .389 .

Don

DonBraswell -> RE: KG Real Player League II (10/29/2007 6:27:19 AM)

Owner Jake Ruppert has been needling the aging Babe Ruth in the club house for the past three years. Ruth's home run totals and batting average has been slipping the last few years. Any other player would be tickeled to have Ruth's numbers. But it's not enough for Ruppert, who says he is paying the Babe 125,000.00 and the Babe isn't living up to the money. After the 1932 season (Babe 29 HR, 97RBI & .310) Ruppert told Manager Don B. to keep the Babe on the bench more. He wanted Ruth to get mad and retire. Instead Manager Don B. had Ruth in the line up for 125 games. Ruppert threatened to fire MGR. Don B. Ruth went to Ruppert and asked to replace Don B. as Manager. The Yankee owner told Ruth "Hell No!" and that his days as a Yankee were numbered. 1933 Ruth hit 23 HR, 91 RBI and .301. Ruppert told Don B. he wanted Ruth traded. Don B. said that Ruth was still the heart of the Yankees and should stay. Ruth and Don B. worked through off season to slim the Babe down from 230 lbs to 201 lbs. He had Ruth running and lifting weights. Ruth, at 39, reported to spring training in the best shape he had been in for years. Ruppert was not happy. 1934 the Yankees whipped the A's for the League Title for the second time. Ruth hit 33 HR, 109 RBI & .315. Then they beat the Cubs again 4 to 1. After the season was over Ruth cornered Ruppert and told him to release him or trade him, he would not play another season for the Yanks. If Ruppert didn't, Ruth would go to the newspapers and tell them how Ruppert was to him and the other players. The newspaper reporters loved the Babe and Jake knew it. So on December 29th 1934 Babe Ruth left the New York Yankees headed for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Ruth had a shakey start in 1935, only playing in 15 games through May 27th. Then he started to hit and the Dodgers started to move up in the standings. By end of the season the Dodgers, who always finnish in second division, held off the hot hitting Cubs to win the National League Title for the first time. The 40 year old Ruth hit 18 HR, 102 RBI & .300. Now Ruth gets to battle his old team mates and try to beat the Yankees for the Dodger fans. Babe says he can't wait to face the Yanks in Dodger Blue.
Don

KG Erwin -> RE: KG Real Player League II (10/29/2007 3:27:17 PM)

The Babe in Dodger Blue? Yes -- I love it. [:D]

DonBraswell -> RE: KG Real Player League II (10/30/2007 12:54:55 AM)

I knew I'd get a comment from you KG. [:D] For the past three seasons when I would auto gen my roster the AI would place Ruth in the Minors. I just couldn't release the Babe. The Dodgers asked for a trade six times in the past three years, so I let him go to the Dodgers. Also the Dodgers picked up Lefty O'Doul as a pinch hitter and back up outfielder. Lefty hit over .300 in 107 games.

KG Erwin -> RE: KG Real Player League II (10/30/2007 1:37:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonBraswell

I knew I'd get a comment from you KG. [:D] For the past three seasons when I would auto gen my roster the AI would place Ruth in the Minors. I just couldn't release the Babe. The Dodgers asked for a trade six times in the past three years, so I let him go to the Dodgers. Also the Dodgers picked up Lefty O'Doul as a pinch hitter and back up outfielder. Lefty hit over .300 in 107 games.

The only thing left is to let the Babe bow out gracefully at some point and let him become a manager. Myron (Let's Play2) kept him with the Red Sox.

There's maybe a confluence of alternative histories happening here. Suppose Ruth DOES become the Dodgers' manager, but when Durocher comes along, all hell breaks loose. Anything is possible.

I'd view Ruth as somewhat like Wilbert Robinson was. He tended to let the games play themselves out, and was basically a PR man. When Larry MacPhail arrived, Robinson was gone. I could see him doing the same to Ruth, with the ambitious Lip playing his power game in the background.

Now, that's just me, Don. I believe that the off-the-field stuff can have dramatic effects on the game.

Perhaps in a future edition of Pure Sim, Shaun could incorporate random off- the-field events to affect long-term associations.

I apologize for interrupting your reports, Don. I was just thinking out loud. I'll be quiet now.

DonBraswell -> RE: KG Real Player League II (11/1/2007 1:10:56 AM)

KG as all ways your comments are welcomed. As far as interrupting I don't post enough to be interrupted. I should post more but, ........... Oh well.
Don

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI