Amphibious Assault Bug? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support

BuddyDharma -> Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/1/2007 2:48:28 PM)

In a PBEM game of South Pacific Struggle, I got a shiny new Marine Division and moved it up to a Japanese port, with 173 of 210 movement left for all units once the move was completed. I also moved several naval units along with them, and decided to soften the port with air and naval bombardments, first.

To be clear - the Marines were in the same hex as the naval bombardment, but did not participate.

The combat took about a quarter of the turn (six blocks on the turn counter on the side). But now, the naval units all have the level of movement you would expect (147 out of 210), and the marines all have 0 MP!

I am patched up to the latest version (3.2.29.27). This has never happened to me before. Is this a bug?

JAMiAM -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/1/2007 7:15:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mister_wolf

In a PBEM game of South Pacific Struggle, I got a shiny new Marine Division and moved it up to a Japanese port, with 173 of 210 movement left for all units once the move was completed. I also moved several naval units along with them, and decided to soften the port with air and naval bombardments, first.

To be clear - the Marines were in the same hex as the naval bombardment, but did not participate.

The combat took about a quarter of the turn (six blocks on the turn counter on the side). But now, the naval units all have the level of movement you would expect (147 out of 210), and the marines all have 0 MP!

I am patched up to the latest version (3.2.29.27). This has never happened to me before. Is this a bug?

No. It looks like you messed up when you set up the attack. Notice that the news events from the attack state that the "Empire of Japan successfully defend Verahue." If you were to do a straight bombardment, then there would be a bombardment against the hex, but no news report. You probably selected to attack with all units. As before, any embarked units that unsuccessfully participate in an amphibious invasion have their movement zeroed out for the turn. Since you likely did a minimize loss attack judging from the proportion of MP's left remaining after the initial attack, they would have probably failed their morale checks and failed to advance in.

Since you sent the PBL file, as well as the SAL, I can verify this for you if you PM me the password for your game. Until that point, I'm inclined to say that it is operator error...

BuddyDharma -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/2/2007 1:37:12 AM)

Recreating the attack reveals that I did, in fact, screw up. Sorry to waste your time.

JAMiAM -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/2/2007 3:12:20 AM)

No problem. Thanks for checking back in and verifying.

a white rabbit -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/2/2007 9:10:53 AM)

..just to confirm, i had an amphib this turn 13, first round boom go the boats, zoom went the bombers, and now those naughty Americans are out of the hex, and the amphib units are sweet to land..

..same game, T13..

..small white furry things with cute twitchy noses ruuuulllllllllle...[:D]

ColinWright -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/2/2007 9:40:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: a white rabbit

..just to confirm, i had an amphib this turn 13, first round boom go the boats, zoom went the bombers, and now those naughty Americans are out of the hex, and the amphib units are sweet to land..

..same game, T13..

..small white furry things with cute twitchy noses ruuuulllllllllle...[:D]

I've seen your picture. The thought of you covered with white fur and twitching your nose is disturbing.

BuddyDharma -> RE: Amphibious Assault Bug? (10/31/2007 2:47:43 PM)

quote:

As before, any embarked units that unsuccessfully participate in an amphibious invasion have their movement zeroed out for the turn.

I've also observed that the movement is zeroed if:

1.)An attack is planned and then there is an overrun from a naval hex

2.)A unit is set to attack amphibiously and then the attack is canceled.

That can't possibly be right.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI